Love knows when to Selah – breath deeply, pause, rest, listen

by Craig on November 24, 2010

I used to play music. It’s #’s 70-72 in my 100’s list over on the “About” page.

And we know that music has melody and harmony and

do  -re -mi – fa – sol – la – ti – do’s

But it also has “rests”.

Musicians bear with me. Those of you who used to play know this too. But music contains beats, and some of them you play – and some you “rest” from playing. It’s all about the beats.  Each measure is full of beats and each beat is is a note, or a rest. If you listen to your heart you can hear the beats – and the rests.

It’s about fractions of measures: There’s the full rest, and the half rest, and the quarter, and the eighth, and the 16th. The 16th rest, by the way…

not so much restful

Today, I’m a little tattered,

and frayed,

and frazzled,

and worn

– and I’ve decided to rest – in God. I should have done it at the beginning of the fraying. But I didn’t. I worried. I filled the air with the aimless and erratic music of a disquieted heart. But today? Today God? Today I want to rest.

In You

Waitress? I’ll have one half rest – with a 16th on the side – and a diet coke please – and I’ll take that to go.

Selah is a Hebrew word. You find it in the musical Psalms – as in the end of #’s 3, 24, and 46. It can have a few nuances of meaning but mostly means “stop and listen”.

Stop

and

Listen

My heart has been in overdrive. It hasn’t checked its gate in almost a week. It’s been playing sharp and flat notes – with too little heed to the director – or the score.

Sure, sometimes I got it right. I involved Our Lord. I got involved with him. He issued forth peace, and rest. He just kinda said “Here. Take.” – and I did. And I gave it back. And he gave it to me again. God is nice.

But today? Today love tells me that it’s time to Selah, at least a half rest (things still need doing). All it takes, in the middle of chaos, or in the tranqulity  of a forest – is to be still, and know, that HE. is. God. That’s Psalm 46:10 (46:11 if you’re following along in your Catholic Bible).

The Word helps. A few moments alone, wherever they can be squeezed, they help. Soft music helps. Soft Christian music – even better. And then a heart that’s willing to stop, and rest, and listen, and understand.

It requires a stilled spirit, to feel that, God is God, and he cares, and he wants the best for me. He knows I’ve asked for his will. He also knows that sometimes I get ahead of myself and want my will instead. He knows it all.

But when I rest in him – I find myself wanting what he wants more.

Laska the love kitty likes to lay on the couch cushion directly behind my head and shoulder when I write. Sometimes I get the wrong end of the body – thanks Laska. But sometimes, like right now, his face is right next to my ear. I can feeeeeeeel the purrs. And I just heard him…breath…out…and let…go.

Love knows when it’s time to Selah.

I hope I’m not alone in this today. I hope you grab at least a snippet of time and love in this way. Like all loves – tomorrow we can all run frantically about. But today. Before the Holidays start ringing in the ears, and the emotions, both good and bad, begin to carry us along the current of their river. Please, if only for a moment, Selah

Stop

and

Listen

Thank you for reading these words.

May God Bless You. (see how nice I get when I rest in him)

I am His beloved November 24, 2010 at 8:58 am

Thank you Craig.
This is where I am.
Selah.
Listening for His voice and His voice says, ” Child be still”

Craig November 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

You know, that’s an upcoming love – not sure when – but it’s “love is still when movement in any direction would cause more harm than good” – maybe today even – anyway – thank you Julie – thank you – I’ll pray for stillness in the wilderness.

Melissa Brotherton November 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

Beautiful reminder, Craig. I will be taking this to heart today. Thank you for sharing this. Happy Thanksgiving!

Craig November 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I am grateful each time you visit Melissa. I pray that you will have a a Thanksgiving to remember.
Thank you.

Anonymuss November 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

Craig, this is good ointment for my soul. Thank you! And, especially-‘love is still when movement in any direction would cause more harm than good’. One year, for one entire year, ‘be still and know that I am God’ was the single verse that stood out for me. So I stayed there until the fire-by-day-and-cloud-by-night moved again.

I hope you have a Selah Thanksgiving!

Craig November 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

A.

“Selah Thanksgiving” – maybe that will catch on.

no, the marketing team isn’t strong enough – “Happy” has a monopoly on Thanksgiving greetings :)

When I was a baby Christian I bought a devotional called Be Still and Know, I camped out in it too. Be still and know…but we forget.

You brighten my day every time you are here.

Thank you.

Debbie November 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm

This is so precious to me, so what I need. I may not be able to physically be still, but my heart can be still before Him in the midst of what I have to do. My thoughts can be stilled while my hands are still busy. Thank you so much for showing me what I need today! :)

gina reid November 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I love this site. I need these reminders. It would be very therapeutic to list what I’m thankful for. I’ve never really done that. When you list all the little things together they mean a lot and we never take the time to think of the little things.

I also need to slow down and “survey the scene”. I’m instant gratification and look for the end result before I have time to appreciate those little things.

So…Yes, I’m your sis and I’ve had your love calendar at my fingertips, but this site brings that calendar to life. It’s a way for me to really use the messages and understand the daily lessons more.

I love you and as always, grateful that I have you.