Love says thank you

by Craig on November 29, 2010

Happy Monday.

And Monday Love says thank you,

along with Ann Voskamp and a host of others.

A simple list of gratitude stretching toward 1000.

#’s 1-22 are here

This day God, I’m grateful …

23. that the Lord of all fashioned the whole universe, to place this planet in the only perfect, favored spot

24. for little hoppy birds on an urgent quest for seeds after a coldish Autumn rain , all just doing the next. good. thing.

25.  the way they all flee as a sudden squall blows, but trees are widowed, no leaves to protect them, poor hoppy birds, it’s gonna get colder.

26. for having very little wealth – because it makes the small things in life a veritable treasure

27. for getting older – because You have made it so that I will never die

28. for losing those who were dear to me – for I will see them again, and they are blissfully happy

29. for my beloved baseball team that always disappoints – always pulls the rug from under my feet, and draws me back year after year – because there’s always next year

30. for Ramen noodles, I love them unbroken before cooking, long wiggly strands of goodness, that you can lift high and chew your way up to the fork, like in Lady and the Tramp.

31. for being misunderstood – because I know that You always understand me – sometimes too well for my own tastes and comfort.

32. for not being forgiven by others – so I can see how much your forgiveness means and how gracious it is

33. for the bitter of life – that You understand.

34. that You catch tears, and save them, and feel them.

35. that You teach me that everything is “good” because everything, if I turn it to You, makes me more like You.

36. for that fleecy fabric, so soft and inviting, and how you can write on it by moving your fingers against the grain – then erase it with one swipe of the hand.

37. for that quiet breeze that comes from nowhere and goes where it wills, that precious reflection of the Spirit of God, who fills everything, and lives in me.

38. for the encouragement of others, when you can’t put that next step in front of the last one – wind beneath wings

39. for the way Laska the love kitty will look for me when he can’t see me, and jump up with a happy trill, and that earthshaking purr

40. and the way he places himself between me and the keyboard, like a barrier, and forces me to stop, and be present, in the moment, and slow time down

41. for the restful sleep, I forget how it feels, it no longer graces my doorstep, but I’m thankful for the occasional glimpses I get of it, the times, however short, however rare, when I get to sleep, perchance to dream…

to be continued….

Debbie November 29, 2010 at 1:56 am

I love #26 and am praying for more of #41 for you! :) Also praying that He is encouraging you lots each day as you keep producing these amazing posts! Thank you for sharing with us!

Craig November 29, 2010 at 11:47 am

thank you deb – more or little I hope 26 will never change, but it’s a nasty game the Evil one plays, have nothing want something – have something want more, get more, want more – insidious.

and thanks for 41 – it is what it is – wish it were different – but it is a thorn that keeps me humble and empathetic – two things I was not before it hit 13 years ago –

“But if you choose to take it, I will praise you
and thank you for the healing in Your name
But if it must remain
I thank you for your rod
Evidence of Father love
For a child of God
I join you in the sorrow
So much less than you have born
and I thank you
really I thank you
I thank you for this thorn

a song by Twila Paris – says it all

Sharon November 29, 2010 at 7:31 am

Enjoyed reading your gratitude. #31 to 34. I. COMPLETELY. UNDERSTAND. dealing with it too. and yes, I can thank God for, as Serena Woods puts it, “their failure and abandonment of me”, for it gives me a better understanding in this arena called grace.

Craig November 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

Was I that transparent – that 31-34 were actually happening to me?

Sorry that they apply to you too.

I hope we both continue to allow God to work through it for us and with us.

Now I have one more thing to pray for this week – you and your 31-34 – a privilege – thank you

Melissa November 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Beautiful grace list! God reaches low to us, and strengthens us when we think we can’t go on–He is the wind beneath our wings. I join with Debbie in praying for rest for you. I am in a season where this is all I can do. (I’ll send some over.) I’m learning there are some things God can only give us when we wait on Him, awake or asleep.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story about flying on my post! I was so blessed, and I hope others read it and see the beauty of God–how his love sets us free to fly.

Blessings to you, friend. :)

Craig November 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Melissa – your blog is a blessing I look forward to every day.

Heart your words.

And the flying story – that’s tomorrow’s post. Inspired by you! Thank you very much.

God Bless

Anonymuss November 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

#37 and 38, yes, and the group from 31-34. so many wounded hoppy birds among us, aren’t there? i am so grateful that He cares for each and every one of us. yes, my prayers for you are added to these others of your friends. the answers to the whys elude. His promises are strong. i don’t always understand things. i take that to Him, too. grateful despite the pain. craig, thank you for letting us peek through your windows, for letting us come into your world. you are gracious and generous.

Craig November 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I thank you for prayers, A. And everyone. At this point I think it’s just the way it is, it’s a thorn, no big, and as much as it steals, it unwillingly has been used by God.

And A. It’s me who owes thanks to you – for reading me.

Thank you.

nancy May 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

Thank you Craig – wish I knew and loved God as much as you do. But you give me hope that there’s hope for me and you help me be willing to be willing. Take care – thank you for sharing you. Your writing is awesome.

Craig May 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm

First of all Nancy, I’m sorry I’m so late replying to your comment. There are always excuses, this one is that the doctors have me trying a new medication for the sleep and so far it’s making my mind really mushy – mushier than the lack of sleep usually make it. So focusing is harder than it normally is. That means writing goes slower – and answering comment is writing. Just wanted to say sorry.

Second of all, what are you doing way back here in my posts – this was before I actually learned how to write a blog! ツ

third, Nancy, we are ALL “we of little faith”. And none of us “loves” HIM enough. All we can do is TRY to get to know him, try to believe as good as we can, try to love as good as we can. It’s all about the quest for perfection – and his GRACE for our quest.

God bless you and keep you Nancy, and thank you ツ

nancy May 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

First of all, I don’t think you were late in replying at all. Hope the new sleep medicine evens out and helps you sleep without making you mushy. I was just lurking and reading, looking for hope, which I find plenty of on this blog and your other. Found Deep Into Scripture first from somewhere(?). Learn something every time I visit, usually with tears. Surely you’ve always been a writer. Yes, there is only One who is perfect. So we do the best we can and accept the Grace that’s always there. Thank you for your kind words, and hope. God bless you this day, the day He made, let’s rejoice yes? Still looking for time to “talk long”. Maybe before too long. . .

Craig May 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

first of all, you may know by now that the medication was a disaster – I have stopped taking it. On to the next try – but after 15 years, unless someone comes up with something new, well – every doctor has always left defeated. It’s just my thorn – that’s all. Second, thank you for lurking, thank you for reading, I’m honored, really. Third, most every time I write something worthwhile, I learn, and usually, like you, with tears as I write. And I look forward to talking long. God bless and keep you Nancy!