Love aims to do the will of God (part 1 of 3)

by Craig on December 15, 2010

A little while ago I wrote a Christmas poem. It was all about following a star. Not being diverted, but keeping my eyes on where God would lead me. Hearing many voices but listening to only one. In my own imperfect way I’ve been doing my best this month of Christmas to stay on course, heeding His voice, and moving ahead.

But how do I know that “ahead” is the right way? The Wise men had a big shiny thing to follow. Our paths are not so well marked out. So how do I know which way to go? I follow some lessons that God taught me once…

I had failed miserably when my best door had opened up for me.

I was moving aimlessly,

had traveled too far from God,

was unsteady and unsure.

I needed to know the right move.

I needed to discern God’s will.

Love aims to do the will of God.

I had heard people talk about the Will of God like it was written in neon lights somewhere. I thought to myself that neon should be easier to find. So I took off on a cross-country road trip to pray and study about God’s neon.

I brought my bible, music, and prayer. As the trip wound down there was still no definitive answer in sight. But then I discovered something way better than neon lights while hiking in a desolate, dry, daylight drenched Utah canyon.

The South Fork of Kolob Canyon is 3-miles long and V shaped, narrowing gradually until the walls meet at the end.  Yup, see way down there at the end – the triangle ended in a single point – way. down.there.

A stop at the Ranger station yielded advice and a crude hand drawn map.  I thought to myself, “Who needs instructions on how to get to the end of a little V shaped canyon?” But I accepted the little map that provided general info, vague landmarks, and what I thought were chintzy directions.

The hike began with the vivid blue sky providing dramatic contrast with towering 500-foot red sandstone walls. The immense walls limited my movement. They also restricted my view since there was an entire desert landscape just above the canyon rim that I couldn’t see.

As for the scenery of which I was deprived? Who cared?  The setting inside the walls was just as pretty.  Outside the canyon were attractions to be sure. But also, because of the lack of boundaries and a working map, there were a million ways to get lost.

In addition, the end of the canyon, that point where the canyon walls met, my goal; it was inside the canyon – not above the walls.

Suddenly I noticed I was flanked by lesson number one – the first in the series.

God’s laws and precepts are just like those walls – lofty, sometimes limiting my movement, keeping my  eyes focused on the narrow way, and preventing me from getting lost.

I thought, I might be convinced that things are more picturesque outside those narrow walls.  Maybe so, but it’s not really the scenery that counts, it’s the eyes through which the scenery is seen.

My first lesson was that all my decision-making is to be made within these imposing, yet exquisite boundaries.

“Nice.” I thought.

But God was only beginning.

This is the start of a little path on which I’d be honored to have you follow along.

It’s how I know the difference between shiny lights in the sky

and the Star.

Because love follows the star.

Love aims to do the will of God.

In God’s love.

Debbie December 15, 2010 at 2:01 am

I love this love. And how God speaks to you and shows you deep things. Thank you for sharing them with us!!! Very nice of you! :)

Craig December 15, 2010 at 1:33 pm

God speaks to you deb – you keep forgetting that I read you :)

bill (cycleguy) December 15, 2010 at 4:23 am

Craig: I like this statement: God’s laws and precepts are just like those walls – lofty, sometimes limiting my movement, keeping my eyes focused on the narrow way, and preventing me from getting lost. I can only say Amen to that! If I can only remember that! Good thoughts today.

Craig December 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

It is the curse of humanity – that we forget – so we read, and talk with each other – and should always be about the reminding I guess. Thank you for coming by Bill. God bless

I am His beloved December 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

What breathtaking pictures!
Sometimes I wish the will of God came with a map ( I know it does-the Bible) and a place to focus on so we don’t get lost. ( We do- Jesus) like you share. And yet at times I find myself lost and in the wilderness. ( maybe I am not really lost)
You’ve got me pondering…thank you for provoking such thought.

Craig December 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Thank you for pondering Julie. I love pondering. Pensivity and pondering – always been faves. And it is impossible to take a bad picture in Utah – it’s beautiful everywhere you look

Anonymuss December 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Love the image of God’s ‘walls’ being loving parameters! And the photography-beautiful!

Also love this one:
“Maybe so, but it’s not really the scenery that counts, it’s the eyes through which the scenery is seen.” So true-thanks, Craig.

Craig December 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I had heard it before – the analogy of God’s laws there for our protection. The analogy was like buoy markers in a channel of water, warning of shallowness. But when I looked up and all I could see were those Walls hemming me in, and how awesome they were – it popped in me.

Thank you A. you are always a blessing to have here.

Eden Ellis December 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

“But, on the other hand, the walls also provided a guarantee that I couldn’t get very lost.”

It is a comfort to know that God hems us in. Blessings,

Eden

Craig December 18, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I want to especially thank you reminding me what I believe, and wrote. It is the bane of humanity that we forget so easily and the blessing that there are those who would be kind enough to remind us of that which we have forgotten. This is a kindness to remember. It fell like a feather and landed at just the perfect time. Thank you Eden. It is a comfort – we are hemmed in – staying within the walls I cannot get very lost – and I am reminded anew. Your comment here was a true blessing.

God Bless You