Love knows the rollercoaster of lfe

by Craig on December 16, 2010

Life is up, and down, and level, and rocky, and serene. To just see it all through eyes of love…

This is part two of what I learned about discerning God’s will

while on a hike

in a canyon.

Part one is here. If you missed it, you’ll like it. Then you can catch up on the hike.

As I moved along I noticed the powdery pink sand of the canyon path beneath my feet.  I had never seen pink sand before. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. It was so enthralled by it that I barely noticed that the path was changing.

It had been fairly flat until now. But suddenly came a sharp incline. The pace slowed way down. Then the hill dropped precipitously – quick, short, choppy steps – and my backpack wanting to lead the way instead of following.

Then it suddenly leveled off again.

I was so engrossed in the sand that although I felt the incline, and slowed down – and sensed the dramatic drop, like a roller coaster, I didn’t really pay attention.

Lesson number two had arrived.

The path I am on can be expected to be alternately uphill, downhill, or level. It’s the roller coaster of life. In a world broken by sin it’s sometimes up, sometimes down, and sometimes even.

I know that sounds simple.

But if it’s so simple, why is it that the steep, exacting, and strenuous parts of my path always catch me off guard? And those sudden drop offs, they’re perilous too. If I’m not paying attention during one of those, the tumble can be violent.

It’s the pink sand.

What is my pink sand?

What is that which is sweet,

and attractive

but takes my eye off the prize?

Pink sand isn’t bad, in and of itself,

but the amount of attention paid to it obviously has to be in balance

or I’m off balance.

Noted.

Moving on.

The thing is that I just have to stay within the canyon walls and keep moving, no matter what the grade of the hill. It’s harder walking uphill, sometimes a little dangerous walking down, and all too easy to get lulled into complacency plodding along on the plateaus.

After a while the path led into a tranquil and serene, dry marsh area. The sunlight feathered through the trees in delicate sunbeams. When I was little I thought the sunbeams that sometimes filtered through and around clouds was God. Now, a few years later, these canyon sunbeams just made me smile.

I lingered there a while to soak up the fairy tale like beauty and peace. I guess there are times in life when we aren’t supposed to be taking giant strides forward in any direction.  Not every moment has to be driven by purpose.

Like the sunlight sifting through the trees,

life is sprinkled

with moments of rest

and peace.

They never seem to last long enough.

So I  need to relish them

and thank God for them

before moving on.

Then I need to tuck the occasions away in my  memory so I can recall, when darkness falls, what God showed me when things were bright.

“Hey,” I thought, “That’s lesson number three.”

And there are more. I loved this walk through the living classroom of God. He had more to show me – if only I would keep looking.

If … only … I …  keep … looking.

Please come back tomorrow.  There’s so much more to see.

In God’s love.

Anonymuss December 16, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Yes, what are the ‘skills’ one needs to be able to weather the downs of life without them tripping us up (weird oxymoron there-‘tripping us up’…). I think it has to do in part with not becoming too attached to things of this life…traveling without glue on the fingers and soles.

Craig December 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

that is a wierd term “tripping us up” —— “fall down” makes sense – interesting.

This love is about what decisions I make, regardless of uphill, downhill, or level. The same criteria applies across the board. All the lessons will add up. I promise.

Anonymuss December 16, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Craig, I realize my comment about tripping up probably sounded like I was rudely judging your choice of words. I was simply noticing that it was actually a bit of an oxymoron-though not a real straightforward one, hence the ‘weird’. You responded with grace, but know that I didn’t mean it in a critical way. I was just off in my own world having a ‘word thing’ going on in my mind. My apologies!

Craig December 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm

It didn’t sound rude at all. I was totally with you, “tripping up” doesn’t make sense :)

They say 90% of communication is non-verbal. With words there is no non verbal. I know it’s messed me up lately.

But no worries. I got what you meant. It was funny. Not rude. I have word things going on in my mind all the time.

That being said – JUDGE AWAY at my words – keep me accountable.

You are a blessing.

Eryn {mamahall} December 16, 2010 at 7:06 pm

i love the visual of pink sand as the distractions of life…that take our eyes off of our destination and then we are caught off guard at the twists and turns ahead. i’m going to meditate on this…let it soak in. i want to be able to check out the “pink sand” because it’s pretty and unusual. but i shouldn’t dwell on it….if i want to successfully reach my “prize.” good “food,” sir. thank you!

Craig December 16, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Eryn

Thank you for coming by. Thank you for reading. Thank your meditating. Basically – thank you. God Bless.

Joy December 17, 2010 at 8:17 am

“Then I need to tuck the occasions away in my memory so I can recall, when darkness falls, what God showed me when things were bright.”

YES. The dark will fall, and then I will need to have paid attention and to recall.

Craig December 17, 2010 at 9:33 am

Thank you for coming Joy. Darkness always falls, and I only know the way to go by remembering what things looked like when the lights were on. I know you know this.
God Bless you and yours.

Debbie December 18, 2010 at 3:47 am

Thank you for helping us stay on the path without becoming too distracted by it! Love your lessons through the canyon, with God! :)