Love is not prone to quick formations of opinion

by Craig on December 20, 2010

To move past

the first impression.

To overlook an early mistake.

To see through the words to behold the heart.

Love

does

that.

Yes, first impressoions are lasting. It’s a given in our world. But should it be a given in the kingdom of Our Lord?

Am I being like Our Lord when I look only at the cover, and reject the book?

Am I being like Our Lord when I label someone, and never give a second glance, because the first one told me all I needed to know?

Am I being like Our Lord when I let the opinion of others form my opinions, without taking the time to form a justified one of my own?

The outward appearance of Matthew was boarish, greedy, untrustowrthy, and Our Lord saw beyond, and said “Follow me.”

Peter was brash, angry, rough around the edges. Our Lord knew enough to see the Rock he would become, and said “feed my sheep”.

Thomas, with all of his questions, his apparent unwillingness to believe without doubt – was he turned aside without a deeper look?

Thomas took the Gospel across the globe,

to India,

a place where this “One God” thing was alien,

a place where his every act was suspect,

where the language, customs, and boundaries were like nothing he’d seen before.

The church he founded still stands today.

Then there’s Judas. Did he seem smooth tongued, practical, and eager to follow? Did he have a polished exterior? Was he not well connected with Jewish leadership? Would this not be useful? To all who looked on, might he not have, at first glance, seemed the most likely to lead the pack?

And Mary, an unwed pregnant girl, she was different from the other girls even before this. And now a child on the way. The people who must have turned their gaze,

or worse, the ones who must have taunted her,

or worse, the ones who spoke the gossip that nearly surrounded her.

I say “nearly” because it would all be behind her back.

What if God looked at this child, who would bear a child, with the same judgmentalism that met her every step, in her home village?

It’s easy to make the snap judgment. It’s simple to rule this one in and this one out. If Jesus did this, there may only have been three apostles.

Would there have been a mother of God at all?

And what of this child sleeping in a manger? He was illegitimate, poor, and oddly different from all the others. His parents were fugitives, living all those years in Egypt and then returning to Nazareth.

And Nazareth, the worst example of snap judging, lack of perception, closed mindedness. They tried to kill him before Jerusalem, The Sanhedrin, and the Romans had a chance (LK 4:28,29).

Love does not do this

Please join me today, if only for this one day, and look beyond the surface, and seek to find the heart that lies within. It’s the easier way to make the quick judgment. Today I’ll be trying to understand, rather than thinking I know everything. Today I’ll take the time to resist the judgmentalism that so easily besets us all. Today I will try to see, as Our Lord sees – to the heart. If you would like to follow me, as I follow him today – I’m glad for the company.

In God’s Love.

Sharon December 20, 2010 at 4:45 am

Having spent so much time in that judgmental seat and not known it, now it is a daily task and struggle to not repeat this habit. Thank you for writing this.

Craig December 20, 2010 at 8:56 am

Sharon, notice it’s all written in the first person – I join you in having sat in that seat. Today I look deeper, no judging without wisdom. Thank you so much for reading. God Bless.

Anonymuss December 20, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thank you Craig, for the invitation. Oddly, for years, I felt that I was rather non-judgmental, until I encountered-on the receiving end-a judgmentalism that was profoundly oppressive and horrific to me. Then, and I feel ashamed even as I write this, I became almost rabidly judgmental of those who judged me (and others)! I did so in large part because it hurt so much-their judgments of me. It became such a case of the pot calling the kettle black, and I am still praying that God will completely clean this pot. You have company.

Craig December 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

Isn’t that a sneaky judgmentalism A. – judging those who judge us – so guilty here. It’s still being judgy even when it’s deserved. Brilliant.

Thank you for being company. You are excellent company.

Scott Wolf December 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I enjoy your writing Craig. Thank you for the encouraging words. Easy to feel sorry for ourselves and judge others. Some time it just a matter of perspective.

Craig December 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

It’s a good thought Scott. A mater of perspective. We see everything from our own point of view. It starts as a baby and darnit, it never changes. To see the other way around. That’s a blessing. It’s a new way for me to think about it. Thank you for adding that – I love learning. I learn more now that I listen better. Merry Christmas.

Susan December 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Craig, i’ve read your comments at Chatting at the Sky so many times, marveling at your depth&understanding. So I cruised over and couldn’t have picked a better day. Not only do I join you in this mission, this day, it is a perfect time to be less judgmental of myself. Prayers for blessings to you&yours, and joy-most of all,pure joy. Thank you -s-

Craig December 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Susan, I’m truly honored by your words. They’re too kind actually, I need so much more understanding and depth – but thank you so much for saying what you have. And those inner voices of doubt, and negativity? They all come from a source – and that source I’ve found is NOT God. I’ll join YOU in that battle today. God bless you and thank you for coming by. And thank you for prayers – always in need of spiritual support.

Debbie December 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I’m so with A in this. Then I hear myself running stuff over in my head and how it sounds and what I’m doing . . .and it’s so wrong. No matter what. I remember hearing from God or someone else, that when I stand before Him, it’s not going to matter what others said about me and did to me. He’s going to be interested in what I did to others and said to them. Thank you for letting us join you in accepting His view of judging today!