Love has a birthday

by Craig on December 25, 2010

source

though heartsick, crestfallen, eyes cast low,

a clarion call rings forth

inviting heavenly gaze and vision to rise

for eternity

slips through time

and earth clasps the fingers of heaven

this is his day

years upon years

mysteries obstructed

His voice stilled

and silenced

His nation lay hushed

biding

anticipating

expecting

they had not heard, but had not forgotten

source

stillness,

not for a lifetime, not for two

but as many decades

as there were nights

of an ancient storm

that swelled the waters

until the twig signaled new

silence is not forgetfulness

does the sun forget to rise?

promises pledged

a visitation portended

a birth

a life

a sacrifice

he came to his own

his own did not accept him

source

a glimmer past

shimmers this day

chasing darkness, and grayness, and dimness away

sacred remembrance, holy occasion,

echo of love being born

dutiful husband, pondering bride

witnesses together

of light piercing darkness

hope pulling down fear

of faith splitting doubt

love entered here

_____

Today, on Love’s birthday I pray that that your heart be the manger,

and the baby, your Savior,

and the angels to surround you, and whisper

that you are safe,

and known,

and loved.

That you are reading this is a most splendid Christmas gift to me.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas

Susan December 25, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Beautiful. Your heart in print. Your soul read between the lines. Your birthday gift to Him, and all who read. The Hope of the World. Happy Birthday, Jesus. Blessed Noel to All. -s-

Craig December 25, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Susan. I can’t tell you how happy I am that I’m “stuck” with you. Merry. Merry. Merry. Christmas.

Anonymuss December 25, 2010 at 8:38 pm

This are beautiful thoughts expressed so well….”our hearts as mangers receiving the Savior”-what a powerful yet simple expression of that life-giving treasure! And the angels whispering truth to us, desperately needed truth by so many! This belongs in the same book as your first poem, Craig. Your grandmother is right, you write from a knowing heart to hearts that need. Thank you for sharing this gift! A

Craig December 25, 2010 at 8:53 pm

My grandmother – had to figure that one out. But Grandma Joyce is not my grandmother by birth. She is a wonderful godly woman – who as an editor – published me once. I call her Grandma Joyce with her permission. She is a saint.

A. thank you for your kind words. And seriously – I am not a poet – writing poetry is like pulling teeth – for real poets I doubt that’s the case. It’s like a monkey can draw a letter given enough time. Given enough time, and prayer, I can scratch out a poem. But I’m not a poet. It. Exhausts. Me. Words I do OK with, poetry, I’ll just dabble on occasion and leave it for the real poets.

And A, this heart hasn’t always known, God had to pound it into submission. The head was the easy thing, it sure helps to have the heart knowledge now too. Now maybe with both the head and the heart in line, and full of him, now seems to be the right time to share. God Bless you A. I’m so happy you find some usable stuff in what I write. Merry Christmas.

Anonymuss December 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm

My goof-I am glad you figured it out! One of the things I treasure about how you arrange your words is that it forces me to slow down and savor and ponder each thought. If you wrote in typical word-follows-word, sentence-follows-sentence prose fashion, I would, in my spiritual greed (bad oxymoron-nothing very spiritual about greed!), be very tempted to just hog my way through the deeply satisfying and delicious meal you give us each time you write. The way you place your words is like visual speed bumps for which I am humbly grateful. I am not sure I should admit that but it is the truth so here it is.

You have said that, before, about your ability as a poet, yet it seems you do have some degree of gift there. I am glad you are willing to put in the work!

Craig December 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm

A. Spiritual greed is a good thing. Just like the “jealousy” of God is not earthly jealousy. I’m pretty sure spiritual greed is not earthly greed :)

Blogging gives me the advantage of putting the speed bumps there. I like them too. If it was an English Comp class I’d get killed. But it’s not. The words can pour out and reflect my thoughts, by their placement. It’s a new way of writing to me. Thank you for noticing. God Bless.

Renegades December 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Craig:

I wanted to thank you for you kind comment and understanding you left me on my blog. Honestly it does help and I do thank you for it.

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

Craig December 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Thank you. I plan to comment more. Thank you for visiting here. I am blessed, really blessed, that you found the time. God Bless you – and my prayers will continue.

Melissa December 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Another spiritually greedy soul, I am feasting on this beautiful offering. Your writing carries the sound of my favorite Poet ever–Holy Spirit. Your heart is beautiful, Craig. I love how Scripture flows from you. What a gift you have. I give thanks for you and the One you write of.

Merry Christmas every day! Abundant blessings in the new year!

Craig December 26, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Melissa, thank you. All your words are too kind. But thank you. Merry Christmas every day to you too.

Lisa notes... December 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

You got me at the title, Craig. “Love has a birthday.”

“that you are safe,
and known,
and loved.”
And you kept me until the end. I have tears in my eyes. This is beautiful. You are so gifted to use words in this way. Safe, known, and loved. What a beautiful blessing. I pray your Christmas was meaningful and that new year will be one of love and joy.

Craig December 26, 2010 at 11:20 pm

And to read your comment reminds me – because me of little faith forgets what he writes so quickly – we are safe, and known, and loved. Thank you so much for reading. It really is the best Christmas present ever. And Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Eryn {mamahall} December 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

happy, blessed day, Craig. Thank you for sharing your words for His glorification. You are an agent of change – the kind of change this world needs.

Craig December 26, 2010 at 11:24 pm

They are for him. Well they’re for me too, and you all, but when they are at their best is when they are to Him. I think it is so special, that in reading words like yours, I get reminded of things I should already know. And the encouragement means so much. Can’t thank you enough. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sharon December 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm

“that you are safe, and known, and loved.” Ah, that is a most wonderful thing to know…
Merry Christmas!!

Craig December 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm

And Sharon, thank you for hiking this way. Your kind words have been wind under wings.
Merry Christmas!!

Kim December 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm

That you are safe, and known and loved. Those are likely the most beautiful words I’ve heard in a long time and what I yearn for from life.

Craig December 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Thank you for that Kim. I have now been officially reminded enough times today that I am safe and known and loved – I knew it before – I wrote it – but I think God is telling me something.

I am safe – the God of everything really does have his hands on me
I am known – never any secrets at all between me and one other person (a big person)
I am loved – Get this straight Craig – God LOVES YOU – he loves you Kim, and me, and love never loses anything by being given away. Thank you so very much. God Bless.