Love trudges through weariness, weakness and doesn’t give up

by Craig on February 4, 2011

I’m thinking today of you who are wanting to give up.

I’m with you.

I know how heavy a load can be, how failure stings like a scorpion and leaves you almost as dead as a real one would.

I know how it is to wish the clock would stop ticking for one…

darned  second.

So you can catch your breath before telling it to begin again.

I know what it’s like to try a million times

and have it not work once

and how hard that millionth and first time is.

I don’t want you to give up.

Love doesn’t give up.

I know that sounds trite. I know it sounds easy, and I know that easy it’s not.

If you’re hanging by a thread – I’m praying for you today. Because prayer is big and it travels and its effect isn’t bound to what I know about your particulars. I can just say, “Lord help” – and if God is God (and God is God) then he knows enough to do what’s needed. And he likes it when we pray for others.

One of the really good bloggy things is this – that I get to pray for you guys.

It makes my heart sing a little.

It makes my world larger.

It makes me happy.

It’s an honor.

And today I’m praying all day, top of every hour, for you guys who read this – that you NOT give up.

As I’m writing this I’m thinking of a story Our Lord told. It’s a parable.

The one of the farmer sowing seed (MT 13:3-23).

It’s about receiving and keeping the message of salvation. But parables, by their very nature, allow for other interpretations. That’s one of the reasons Jesus used them I think. What goes for salvation also goes for this too – this “not giving up” thing.

I’ve always imagined Jesus walking and talking – and then there’s a farmer off to the right. I can almost see him saying,

“Look over there. See?

See that seed on the path.

Now watch.

See the birds?

And those there, on the rocks, what will happen to them?

And there,

see that?

The seeds among those those thorny weeds? What chance do they have?”

And the people would watch every action, hear every syllable – and for some the word would take root and grow. For others? Not so. That’s the way of parables. Those with ears to hear get it, those without – just hear a story.

So how does this fit my “not giving up wish” for you?

I see it this way…

Sometimes birds will peck away – obstacles and enemies clutter the path everything gets harder.

Sometimes the soil’s bad – our biggest enemies can reside within (doubt, fear, old negative voices).

Then there are thorns – the tough part of everyday life – finances, time limitations, health problems.

So, now with new eyes on the parable,  the question is how to move forward today even with the birds, bad soil, and thorns.

This is one of those loves I’d like you to join me in. Just for one day, to really focus on not giving up. And of course it’s Friday, so you might want to stretch it for a weekend – but you don’t have to.

This is what I’ll be doing…

Today I’ll see what’s pressing in, and limiting me.

Then I’ll reach for what’s possible, which, depending on my thorns, and rocks, and chirpy birds, may be less than than the norm.

I’ll be OK with that.

And I’m gonna ask this; “How do I need to adjust, my effort, my expectations, my faith?”

Today I’ll get up on the bar and just keep trying.

It’s just one day. How many bumps and bruises could I get?

This day I’ll be aware of the things that are making me want to give up, and  then maybe I’ll slow down, or speed up, or chase them away, but

NOT. GIVE. UP.

Remember I’ll be praying today – I’ll ask for angels to help you, and peace, and motivation.

If you aren’t struggling – I hope you found something good in this love.

If you are – I’m right there with you in spirit and prayer – and I hope this helped.

In God’s love

Anonymuss February 4, 2011 at 1:54 am

How did you know…? Motivation…yes…without a vision the people perish, or at least slow way down. Prayers for you, too, Craig.

“How do I need to adjust, my effort, my expectations, my faith?” Yes…front and center. Friday’s banner. I love the three sentences before that one, also. You help me keep it real and simple yet on the path. Now….to bed. Then Friday begins…sometime in the morning.

Craig February 4, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thank you A. “real and simple and on the path” – thank you for those words. That could be a blog mission purpose. Happy Friday. Be brave. God Bless.

Debbie February 4, 2011 at 2:09 am

This is so important, so a part of my story, of what He tells me. Especially when I feel like I’ve messed everything up , it’s getting worse and I don’t know what to do. I pray and He tells me to just keep trying. As simple as that sounds, it helps! :) So I do. Now I’ll have some extra prayers to help me too, today. :) Praying for you too, Craig and for A too! I go to clean someone’s house this Friday, and cleaning allows me all kinds of mind time to pray. :)

Craig February 4, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m praying for you – I have some “lurkers” now reading to. I heart them as well. I’ll be praying for lots of people today. It all makes me smile big. I like this. I didn’t know this would be part of the bloggy thing. I HEART THIS PART.

I’ll be praying for you – and happily so. And guess what – I dreamed of Wile E. Coyote last night – interesting huh. The poster “coyote” for not giving up. :) God Bless

Jolon @ Savvy Chic Savings February 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

On the last workday of a long, emotional week, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this. I hope you have a great day, Craig!

Craig February 4, 2011 at 9:41 am

Jolon – and yes – how could anyone mis-pronounce your name?! Top of the hour – in 20 minutes I stop and pray – and it’s nice to know I’ll be praying for you too :) God Bless

Fairfield House February 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

This is my first visit to your blog and I am so pleased I stopped by and read this post. I have had a rough start to the new year :
I will be back and re-read this post often.
Thank you.
Deborah

Craig February 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Deb, I am so glad to have a name to the prayers I’ve been saying today. It is an honor to be praying for you my friend. I know the burden is heavy. I know you need help with the load. I’ll be praying more. God Bless – and thank you.

MiLo February 5, 2011 at 8:50 am

This was a true blessing to me today, I have to thank you for writing this. As I started my day with thoughts of giving up, I know this was a word I needed to receive, and I do. Thank you so much for following the divine lead! May God richly bless you today as I have been. Thank you for your prayers.

Craig February 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thank you for wishing me God’s blessings. I need them, without them, where would I be? And not the “blessings” that people normally speak of – just the blessing that comes when I know whose I am and breathe in his essence. It may be just a second – but we are so lucky to know the SOURCE of peace. Thank you for reminding me. And now I have one more person to think of as I pray peace and help for you – and the others – all weekend long :)

JennaFarelyn February 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for praying, it brings a lot of comfort to know that you will take that time to cover me and others in prayer. A great, sacrificial, doing kind of love.

Dianna McBride February 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

This is my first time visiting here, Craig. I have to say that I so enjoy your enthusiasm for life and living in His power of encouragement!

Thank you for visiting today and leaving such a positive comment. Grateful that we have a mutual friend in dear Ann. Looking forward to visiting with you again.

Craig February 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Dianna, it is enthusiasm as long as I look with better eyes – you know the ones. When I look with just earthly eyes – well – things don’t look nearly so nice and the mood can drop. So to keep looking with better eyes sounds not only better – but more practical. Hmmmmm. a blog post coming on that soon maybe…

And thank you for coming, now I have one more name I know I’m praying for this weekend.

Trish February 5, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Stopped by to say thank you for coming by my place….

And now, I see that God intended, just at the right moment, for you to find my spot from Ann’s list…I needed to read these words. The word seems to be crashing…hanging on to a thread…fortunately the other end is attached to Him.

Blessings,
Trish

Craig February 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Trish. I get it – I do. I don’t know the details – but I understand the whole world crashing in thing. It will be a privilege to keep praying for you. The rest of today and tomorrow I’ll be praying often for you – and for all who have read these words. God Bless and Keep. Keep holding on white knuckled to your shield of faith. God Bless

Kim February 5, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Craig, just thank you. That’s all. It’s been a week where lots of things are hard and giving up is tempting. You encourage me.

Craig February 6, 2011 at 9:51 am

Kim, thank you for being here. I’ll be praying for you and your hard things today. I’m honored and it makes me happy. Isn’t it a miracle that I can know you through a blog, never met, and be all this far away from you – and the God who sustains the Universe cares enough about both of us that I can sit here – and pray – and he hears – and then move on your behalf so far away. I think that’s a miracle. God Bless Kim. And don’t give up, don’t give in, keep looking up.

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hi, Craig! I love uplifting posts like this…especially when they contain Biblical truths. :) Thank you for the encouragement today! Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

Craig February 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

And thank you for reading – and giving me one more face to put to my prayers today. THis praying for others thing – so much joy in that. God Bless you Amanda.

Lisa notes... May 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm

“Love doesn’t give up.”
You are pouring on the encouragement thick for us today. That’s wonderful. I so appreciate your prayers. The bloggy world may have some craziness in it, but it also has some mighty warriors for God in it. You are one. Thanks, Craig. I’m always encouraged when I visit here and when you visit me. Praying for you today too…don’t give up!

Craig May 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Lisa, I just got done praying specifically for you, that whatever your life holds for you right now that our Lord me there for you strong, give you wisdom, and peace, and strength. I hearted praying for you. Thank you for that. And thank you for your really kind words – I appreciate them more than you can know. God Bless and keep you.

Caroline May 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm

You’re excellent at weaving stories with your words. Thanks for the consistent encouragement, Craig!

Craig May 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Caroline, sorry so late in responding, a little – no – way under the weather, and everything by necessity is a little slower now. But I want you to know I appreciate your comment – means the world to me. Thank you, thank you, and God bless you and keep you and all of yours this day!