Love says thank you a thousand times (#54-72)

by Craig on February 7, 2011

I

am

thankful…

#54 …for snow when it falls muffled, tranquil, and serene, like fairies descending from the sky – wafting down to greet the earth.

#55 …that my mom, who is no longer on this earth, is still very much alive.

#56…that she does not live on “in my memories”. Because memories don’t sustain life. She knew the Sustainer, and is now sustained eternally.

#57 … for the God who fashioned us to live for a short time here, and forever as well.

#58 …that Our Lord lived a real life, died an actual death, and left us with an empty tomb. That is the hope upon which our faith stands. If he lives, then all those we have lost live, who knew him, still  live – and we abide forever.

#59 …that I can breathe that mystery in deeply, I can seize it, place it in my heart, and possess the peace that issues from the knowing.

#60…for the wonder that informs  me that because of the Grace of God, eternity is now, and I live in it, move in it, and there have my being.

#61 … for Laska the love kitty, who is still kitteny enough to dash around after invisible nothings, and break things, and spread the joy that is toilet paper – throughout every room.

#62 … and for how he then finds me wherever I am and drifts off to sleep, deep and peacefully, like he has found his safe place, the one to protect him while he slumbers.

#63 … and for how it reminds me that I need to do the same – with the One who never slumbers.

#64 …that although there is no guarantee of tomorrow, or even ten minutes hence – there is a guarantee of forever – and when when the race is run, I will run into His arms.

#65 …for the birds, squirrels, and rabbits, all scurrying about as the sun warms the frigid earth – gathering.

#66 …for the trees shedding the ice that weighed them down, as the sun melts it away one drop at a time.

#67 … for this year named “connect” – with its twists and turns, opening up, being shut down tight, but proceeding and connecting – because love connects.

#68 …for Ann; because I have now beheld what I’ve never seen, and voiced what I’ve never spoken, and perceived previously inaudible heartsounds. They now ring like wind chimes on a springtime day.

#69 …that the world is spinning on a sunbeam in a solar system, nested in a quiet and still part of a violent galaxy, swimming in the vastness of a universe beyond comprehension – and yet the universe is only a thing God made with a word.

#70 …that the more I “zoom out” the more glorious the view of God becomes: the planet, the sky, asteroids, stars, black holes, and the unseen something that binds it all.

#71 …that the more I “zoom in” the greater the glory of God, the fingerprint on the hand, the atoms, the protons, neutrons, and even smaller, the spark, the building block that makes everything. It’s the essence of God himself that sparks the spinning of of the tiniest of things and results in the grandest of imaginable constructions.

#72 … that we’ll know answers to the mysteries of all things great and small, when we know as we are known.

Linking today with Ann and many others, counting…

In God’s love

Renegades February 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Isn’t it great to acknowledge our many blessing while we blog. I also do multitude Mondays.

Craig February 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

It is – It’s a terrific Ann Voskamp idea. To stop and think about why we’re blessed – to drink up a moment here and there with God.

Still praying for you. God Bless.

Anonymuss February 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

#59 and 64-favorites! (#61-big smiles!). I enjoyed reading these, and they were a good reminder.

Craig February 8, 2011 at 11:10 am

If Laska only knew how much you loved him – I might wake tomorrow to find his little kitty suitcases at the front door :) Thank you A.

Dawn February 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Dear Craig,

I am glad you are back from Blissdom. I missed you. Your #70 and #71 (the zooming in and out parts) made me think of the Eames’ Power of Tens video that was made back in 1977. I don’t know if you’ve seen it or not. You can view it on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0 if you’ve never seen it. Every time I see it, I am awed at the unknowable immensity of God. Ann’s Emmanuel on Pale Blue Dot inspired me, as well. I sent it to my astronomer nephew who has no particular belief in God (he’s in Carl Sagan’s court here) and he said the astronomy was right on. He couldn’t comment on the theology. You can’t read Ann without being effected so I’m hopeful he’ll be moved by some of her words when the time is right.

Again, welcome home! I really was glad you wrote a bit about your sleep issues in the next blog, as well. Being a nurse, I wonder about that. Thanks for sharing.

God bless,

Craig February 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Thank you Dawn for visiting. I’ve missed out on reading so much good stuff since prepping for and then attending Blissdom.

And you know – the same day Ann posted on the Pale blue dot – I did too – same picture even. Mine was up first though :).

And the sleep thing – urg – my thorn in the side. It is what it is though. Blessed anyway. :)

God Bless

Debbie February 9, 2011 at 2:06 am

I loved your gifts. You sharing them with us made them our gifts too! :) I’m reading Ann’s book right now. Slowly. Really feel that I need it. I chose joy for this year. Really need to live that too! :) God bless you and the gift you are to Him and us.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Deb – read it really slow – I am too – ‘ cause I get the feeling I won’t want to stop reading it – I’ll reread it I’m sure – but that first time – that’s magical and I want it to last – like eating a piece of chocolate really slow. God Bless.

Mari February 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm

This list, so full of hope and gratitude…beautiful!

Craig February 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Thank you Mari. It’s all Ann Voskamp – and God – I just got out of the way :)

God Bless You.

Dorie February 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Craig,
Woops…my sincere apologies for the ‘ladies’ reference – although your comment made me chuckle! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
#64 ~ The “guarantee of forever” is an amazing realization to behold
#68 ~ “…what I’ve never seen…” Isn’t it amazing what we notice when our attitudes and thoughts change toward practicing gratitude?!
#70-71 ~ Our God is amazing, and seeing His glory in the enormous and the tiny details of His creation is such a blessing.

Craig February 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Dorie – thank you – and all apologies accepted – I’m not exactly blogging in the community I originally set out to be blogging in – but I’m here – and considering the talent, the heart, and the spirit of this community – I don’t want to be anywhere else.

Your words are kind – thank you. And thank you for reading. God Bless.

Natalie February 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Craig,

Thank you for you recent encouraging comments on my blog. What a wonderful list! I love the analogy you saw with your kitty and God. And how both zooming out and zooming in, we behold His glory.

Craig February 23, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Thank you Natalie. Your stuff is inspirational. It’s a pleasure to read. And the list – I’ll give all credit to Ann Voskamp and God. I just got out of the way. God Bless.