Love sometimes gets married – A prayer (Part 4 of 4)

by Craig on February 9, 2011

marriage, love, prayer for marriage, Ann Voskamp, Practice of MarriageI have never had a bride. And so when Ann first said “Let’s discuss the practice of marriage I felt like sitting this one out. But then I remembered that it’s not my opinion that counts – but God’s.

So the last three weeks I’ve buried myself in Scripture – to discover what it said about marriage – and I come away astounded.

Part one of the design is here – part two is here – and part 3 is here in case you’d like to peek.

And this is my last marriage post – and I feel kind of sad – like a kid leaving summer camp. Because I can practice the “study” of the Design of marriage – but not actually do the practice of marriage.

I’ve decided today that all I’ve learned from the Bible about God’s design of marriage would make a really nice prayer. So today I’ll be praying for all you “marrieds” who read this.

All day long I get to say this prayer for you

and I’ll do it smiling.

I pray for you both to be “suitable counterparts” – the same yet different.

For you to uplift each other, to raise each other to higher levels.

To provide warmth for each other in a world that can be oh so cold.

I ask Our Father to help you support one another, and abide together in stability and safety. Especially in times where no other earthly sources of help may be found.

I pray that you be complimentary counterparts, a two person rowing team, all oars in the water, stroking in harmony, each of you propelling the boat forward.

And for you to become ever increasingly “one”.

I pray for your marriage to be a one where strengths can receive more power,

weaknesses can be covered,

and differences can unite in a stunning “three-ply” way.

I ask Our Lord today to watch over your whole family.

And I pray for your marriage to have that familiar ebb and flow of passion…

at times the raging inferno,

at times the quiet crackling fire;

and always the memory of the Day when the spark of love united you two as one.

And I pray that your marriage be a place where you can let your guard down and throw away masks – without fear of reprisal.

I pray for the two of you in your sharing of innermost secrets;

your exchanging of plans, thoughts, fears and passions.

I pray for your marriage to be a higher ground where burdens may be shared and the load diminished; and blessings may be shared as well – and joys multiplied.

I pray for the empowered submission of a Christian bride, combined with the sacrificial love of a Christian husband.

That there be difference in roles, but equality in power, as you both operate as one.

And finally, I pray love.

I pray for patience, and kindness,

and jealousies squashed,

and humility built up,

and for each of you to find – and be – what the other needs.

I pray for anger to be tempered,

and forgiveness,

and truth,

and commitment,

and protection,

and the hope of that first day,

to spring eternal.

Amen – and Amen.

Today linking up with Ann and mostly married people for …

In God’s love

Debbie February 9, 2011 at 1:46 am

That is the most beautiful prayer Craig. I feel so blessed that you would pray that and write it for us! God bless you as you bless others.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’ll be praying it all day Deb. So glad to include you. I’m really beginning to love this “praying for you guys” thing.

Lisa notes... February 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

You are a good man, Craig. I feel very blessed by your prayer, too. My prayer for you is for God to either send you a bride or to continue to use you powerfully as a single man. Either way, to God be the glory!

Craig February 9, 2011 at 10:20 am

Amen Lisa. A bride to cherish – that would be special – but God’s will above my own – always that. It’s nice to know that one of the marriages I’m praying for today is yours. God Bless.

Emily February 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

Craig-
Thanks for you beautiful words here on your blog and on my own blog as well. What a gift of words you have been given. Many blessings on you and you writing.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

Thank you Emily. It really makes me smile to know another person I’m praying for today. God bless.

Alida February 9, 2011 at 10:53 am

Amen! What a beautiful prayer… I am in awe of the way you have with words.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

Alida – thank you – and you, I’ll be praying this for you today. Makes me smile.

Dawn February 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

Craig, prayer is a powerful thing. Thanks for not being scared away from joining in with us married girls over at Ann’s. You are a counter-point as a man and as a single, and thus a refreshing voice.

You have a beautiful heart for marriage and I pray God gives you the desires of your heart in a bride to become one with.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thank you Dawn. I sometimes worry about barging in on this beautiful community of faith filled women. Your words are encouraging. I only barge in because I don’t know of a single male blogger that writes with the heart of you wives and moms. AND I’VE SEARCHED!!!

A bride to cherish? Seems a dream – God’s will above mine.

God Bless and thank you for letting me pray this prayer for your marriage.

Rae February 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

What a great prayer.
I have friends on the cusp of an engagement, thinking and talking and praying about what all of these things might look like for them. Thanks for giving me some words to pray with for their developing relationship. And, of course, for mine.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Rae – it was a gift from HIM to me – and so take it and use it and give it as a gift – and the gift goes on :)

I’m smiling now that I know I’m praying for your marriage too today.

I am hearting this in a VERY BIG WAY.

Jennifer February 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Today, I pray for you as you are studying God’s Word about marriage even before you take that step. Your prayer is beautiful. Thank you.

Craig February 9, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thank you Jenn. This is my year of “connecting” and so I’m really not used to people praying for me. If you don’t connect, how can people pray for you. I am learning so much. And now I get to pray ALL DAY for your marriage. It brings a big smile.

God Bless.

Amber February 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Craig,

I just wanted to say that tonight (or sometime—soon–when the little one is sleeping) I will be reading this series. I read the first few lines and knew I needed time and attention that I currently don’t have, as I was dropping by quickly while little B was playing in the floor.

I will comment after I read them!

Craig February 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Amber – that was really nice. God bless your heart – and even while being the good mom you are – dropping me a note to just say you were here. I heart what God’s Word taught me about marriage – I can’t wait to hear what you think. God bless you and yours.

lifelivedfully February 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

wow, what an amazing,giving,kind,insightful heart you have…
so in awe of that prayer you wrote…such words of wisdom..almost ethereal!

you would make quite the husband when the time comes..until then praying God will continue to use you right where you are.
your words are such a blessing…lindsay

Craig February 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Thank you Linday. In a way the words are “ethereal” – they came from a deep study of God’s design. All I did was pray what he taught me through his Word. SO HE gets credit for the amazing content of the prayer – not me. But thanks.

To know my words were a blessing to someone – smiles – just smiles.

And the marriage thing – God’s will – not mine – we’ll see :) I do know that it’s a good thing I never married – because the me I am has taken God a good amount of years and discipline to pound out. I think I would have messed it up if I married before I got it. I get it now. :)

Susan Evans February 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Amen!!!!!!! (Wow, that was an awesome prayer!)

Craig February 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you Susan. I just did the studying, then got out of God’s way – and the words just came. God Bless – and thank you for reading.