Love fights the negative voices (part 1)

by Craig on February 15, 2011

1 cor 13Every time I sit down to write a new love post, I hear them.

I think you know what I’m talking about.

You may hear them too.

“You can’t do this.”

“You aren’t good enough.”

“You’re going to fail.”

Today they were hounding me. I almost didn’t write.

But I really like writing for you. To be honest, knowing that you would be here reading these words today, that you would think there is some value in them – that really gets to me – and I thank you. It’s the reason I’m going to keep writing.

And I did write. Because you’re reading these words.

Right?

How did it get turned around today?

1. Knowing that you’d be reading. So thank you again. Really.
  2. I got smart and told Our Lord about it. We had a nice long chat.
  3. Inspiration hit that if they are shadows, if the voices have no power (and they don’t), and if they’re consistently negative (and they are),  then take them one at a time. Line them up with the truth – and see which ones remain standing.

So I did. And the fight was on.

Round One. “You can’t do this.”

Hello Mr. doubt, have you met Mr. “I am doing it.”

I have 25 years of thinking about God, and love, and spilling it out on a computer screen. All that’s gonna stop now? Because of a shadowy whisper?”

That helped.

Then Round Two. “You aren’t good enough.”

This one was more of a challenge. This one can get me.

So I deferred to God.

God referred me back to round one.

Seriously.

He did.

So I went back through round one – and that helped again.

These false voices – they really don’t hold up well under scrutiny. If something is a fact, and it’s holding me back – well then – darnit – confront and change the fact.

But if it’s shadow – well – maybe the thing is that we (I) don’t challenge them enough. Maybe the problem is that I (we) believe the doubts and doubt the beliefs.

Why?

Why not doubt the doubts?

Well that sounds pretty simple doesn’t it?

Who has told me lately that I’m not good enough? Where is the proof of that?

This opponent has nothing to back up the claim. So he runs away. I suspect he’ll be back though.

And I’m still standing for Round Three.

“You’re going to fail.”

Ruh Roh.

This guy came into the ring with ammo. I have tried a lot of things before – and failed. I have a good string of trying and failing. I’m really really good at trying and failing.

This guy is good. How am I gonna beat him back?

And then came the sound of the bell.

Thank goodness.

In boxing it’s called being saved by the bell. It’s when the opponent has you on the ropes. I know, back to back boxing terms – and I don’t even like boxing. At any rate,  “on the ropes” is when you’ve got  nothing left. So you lean your back against the ropes and put up your gloves and just try to hang in there.

You hang in and wait for the bell to ring.

And the bell rang.

Yay me.

It was this bell.

I recently read how a post should never go over 500 words. Because people don’t want to read that long. I always break this rule because I feel like tiny snippets of text are somehow cheating you.

But this one is now at over 650 words. So to continue writing – well that’d just be mean – and counter productive to boot.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Whew!

Please come back and read more about how I do against this guy – the guy with the ammo – the guy I’m really afraid of. I’m gonna have to go back out and fight him.

Why?

Because it’s the same bell that saves you,

when your on the ropes.

that signals the beginning of the next round.

In God’s love

Debra February 15, 2011 at 12:57 am

Never have been into boxing either Craig. But now I know from whence the phrase “saved by the bell” comes. You must keep writing. You can do this, and you are good enough. Stand strong because you have readers counting on you:)
Keep fighting the good fight!
~Love and blessings
Debra

Craig February 15, 2011 at 9:19 am

I have a friend who has told me that when her husband says she’s beautiful she doesn’t believe him. I listened, and I cared, but I didn’t understand. Like the anorexic who looks in a mirror and sees FAT. But I do get it now – I hear these words – your kind words – and still that voice wants to say – NOT TRUE – the strangest thing…

Thank you though – I may have to come back to these words again.

Michelle February 15, 2011 at 1:32 am

Thanks for going the rounds for us. :)

Craig February 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Thank you Michelle. The voices are old ones, and brazen, and have friends, I suspect they won’t give up the ship easily. I’ll gladly accept prayer :) God Bless.

Debbie February 15, 2011 at 2:05 am

So glad you are winning. It means we win too! :) God bless you each step of the way!

Craig February 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

Deb – please shoot up to the above comments. Sometimes I barely win. Between the “angry bunnies” and the inner “angry bunnies” – it’s a fight. Thank you. God Bless.

Debbie February 16, 2011 at 3:45 am

Praying! :)

Craig February 16, 2011 at 8:42 am

You know in this year of connecting – I’m still getting used to people praying for me – unconnected you don’t get that. You are a blessing. Thank you – prayer is always needed. God Bless.

Jennifer February 15, 2011 at 7:26 am

So nice to meet you by way of Ann. I love this post because it really is a fight, isn’t it, against the the lies? Keep fighting and taking them captive, Craig. You are doing a mighty thing here!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Craig February 15, 2011 at 9:38 am

Jennifer. Ditto my first comment. This IS a fight. Why do we say, peace peace where there is no peace? Like Jeremiah said. When we pretend the voices aren’t there does that give them more power? I shake my head in determination and a little bit of grrrrrrrr as I write this. Your words help the fight. Thank you. God Bless.

Anonymuss February 15, 2011 at 11:42 am

Craig, what a blessing you have so many online friends who can encourage you when you get discouraged! We all need encouragement from time to time! And you are always encouraging us! Your writing is truly a gift. Don’t stop! If you ever have a day when discouragement seems to win out, put Laska at the keyboard, and take a time out to soak up the renewal and refreshment you need. ( In fact, that might be an interesting post/invitation to your readers…what does seeking refreshment look like or consist of to you or to your readers?)

Craig February 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm

A. if it were that easy – but the Laska posts – they take even more creativity :)

I think I will follow up on your “refreshment” suggestion. God bless.

Dawn February 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm

The Scripture for you from Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God: Colossians 11-14

“…since the day we heard of you we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of His will with all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may walk worthy of the Lord, please Him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work and growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power through His glorious might so that you may have all patience and endurance and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light. He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

You know, if we had the slightest inkling that we did anything to warrant worthiness, we would get an attitude so He does it all. If you believe the negative voices you are saying God isn’t standing in for you. He is perfect so you know the devils are wrong. Put that armor on and STAND!

Whack!

Craig February 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Was that a whack on the back of my head? Ouch! Point taken. Thank you.

But voices don’t just disappear – these voices are not new – I know I am new, and becoming more new, the more not new I get. But I do know where my strength lies, who my rock is.

This is part one in a three parter – part two the enemy get’s the foothold, part three Our Lord comes to the rescue. But thank you I expect a good sister in Our Lord to whack me when I look like I need it – and pray for me at the same time.

Dawn February 16, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Dear Craig,

I was whacking the devils. It’s really risky putting words on paper with no gestures or qualifications or intonations to illuminate their intent. Misinterpretation can be so monumental in a paper discourse. I’m sorry you thought I whacked you. I was really envisioning you standing there with a baseball bat swinging as hard as you could…Hmmm, it must be that I live in the home of Little League baseball that that image does more for me than the boxer one.

Onward in the fight,

Craig February 16, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I’ve actually said that same thing many times in the last few weeks – I’ve noticed that!! Great minds…

You know what – either way – I’m fine. But thank you for coming back and making sure my feelings weren’t hurt – that is love.

God Bless

Mari February 15, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Im so glad you won that battle! Its one most of us wage on a daily basis. But then God’s Word whispers truth…happy belated Valentine’s =)

Craig February 15, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Mari – thank you for reading. I didn’t really win the battle – Our Lord did – I just opened my eyes and listened to him and did what he said – as I told Dawn, it gets worse before it gets better – but God wins the day. God Bless you. and thank you.