Love fights the negative voices (part 4)

by Craig on February 18, 2011

1 cor 13, love thoughts, love verse, corinthians love, love verses, faith love, love believeThis all began because I sat down to write and was scared. Then I brought God into it. (here)

Then I brought you all into the situation. (here)

Then I shared something I’d never shared before. (here)

And today I’ve promised to write about how there can be peace in any decision, any outcome.

It begins with a man, and a dinner with some close friends.

It started as a fairly uneventful dinner but had some very tense moments and cryptic conversations, and strange behavior, and finger pointing.

And so, after the dinner, they moved outdoors. And this man pulled one of his friends aside. You  know, the way you pull someone away from a party so you can have a private talk.

It can be great news, that’s exciting, and you have cover your mouth because the words were meant just for you and it needs to stay that way – at least for the moment. It could be that.

Or it could be the talk where the air gets thick, and the ticking of the clock slows down, and palms get sweaty, because the gravity of the moment is heavy, like boulders in a net – and it presses.

This talk was the heavy kind. It was uncomfortable. But these things needed to be said. The man told his friend, whom he had pulled aside, that he wasn’t the good friend he thought he was.

The friend denied it all and tried to pass it off as nonsense. But the man stuck to his guns. And the friend was a little demolished and confused. And even though the conversation was off to the side, the friend wasn’t quiet enough and the others heard the tail end of it.

They overheard only strident promises of undying friendship.

And it was a party

so they all chimed in

and everybody was everybody’s friend.

And cups were raised.

But the man was serious, and reflective, and more somber than the rest.

Things hushed as they all moved off to a garden.

It was late, and not well lit, and not really a place for party merriment. And the man asked them to stay there a while he went off to pray.

He took along the “not so good friend” and two others and this time he cried. And this man wasn’t the type to do this.  They’d seen him cry before – but about others – not himself.

It was late and he asked them to stay up with him while he prayed.

He went just a bit further, alone, but just a bit. I’m sure they could have heard his prayer.

If they remained awake.

He nudged the “not so good friend” and expressed disappointment, and asked again for him to stay awake while he prayed.

“Withdrawing a second time, he prayed again, “My Father, if it is not possible that this cup pass without my drinking it, your will be done!” Then he returned once more and found them asleep, for they could not keep their eyes open. He left them and withdrew again and prayed a third time, saying the same thing again. Then he returned to his disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Behold, the hour is at hand when the Son of Man is to be handed over to sinners. Get up, let us go. Look, my betrayer is at hand.” (MT 26:42-46)

I don’t write blog posts ahead of time. I write them fresh, and post them at midnight, or 1 or 2 or 3 in the morning – or just before dawn. The good thing about that is everything is hot off the griddle. The bad thing is that I promise sometimes to end a story – to share the big truth – but then realize that there’s more to be said.

And that’s where I am right now.

I promised to share the secret of peace in any situation.

And I have

a little

it’s in the prayer

we all know the prayer

but there’s more to the secret than just the words of the prayer.

I think I need just one more post to to do it justice.

This one is already too long.

Please come back.

It’s important, and I want to share it with you.

In God’s love

Michelle February 18, 2011 at 5:06 am

You know, sometimes we want to rush to the point, when instead we need to take time and enjoy the journey. Enjoy the journey, Craig. I am.

Craig February 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thank you Michelle – having people who read me – who get it – that is magnificent. Thank you. God Bless.

Kim February 18, 2011 at 8:38 am

Looking forward to what’s next (love it when there’s more to something than I initially thought!)

Craig February 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Kim – thank you too for being so stellar – I’m so fortunate to have people like you reading my words. God bless you and yours.

tinuviel February 18, 2011 at 11:27 am

Craig, thanks for visiting my corner of the Web and for taking time to leave such an empathetic comment. May God grant strength in your weakness and restore to you restorative sleep.

This is a lovely post. Your approach to retelling such a familiar story brings out nuances I hadn’t thought of before. Thank you!

Grace and peace to you in Christ.

Craig February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

And thank you for coming over to my tiny corner of the interwebs :)

Thank you for you kind thoughts on my sleep. I long for just normal but it is what it is – and it has made me humble and given me the ability to empathize and even in it’s ugliness and destructiveness – well – in my weakness he is strong.

God Bless. and thank you.

Anonymuss February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Thank you for the courage you showed in sharing with us so that we all learn…what a selfless sacrifice that is! I am eager to learn how this concludes. I know there will be a valuable lesson in it for myself and no doubt many others. That sounds selfish. God bless you, Craig, as you continue to work so hard to make these lessons for us…to show us more about our God and ourselves.

Craig February 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I can’t tell you how much that means to me A. It really is God that makes the lessons – I say it all the time – more now then ever – it’s best when I just get out of the way. Well nt all the way out of the way – I type and stuff – but it’s him – he’s the constant inspiration.Thank you.

Dianna McBride February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

What an amazing servant of the Lord you are, Craig. I sincerely mean that. It is good to know that even though you’ve experienced a deep hurt, and are courageously sharing that hurt with your readers bit by bit, you listen for that still small voice as HOW to share that HE will best be glorified.

So glad to have met you here on the Web, over at Ann’s. Thank you for stopping in for visits in my corner of the world and always being an encouragement. Praying for you, friend.

Craig February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Prayers – I’ve said this before – in this year that I’ve named “connect” because of Ann – it’s been an emotional whirlwhind. And prayers for me – by others – still getting used to that – and so need it. Thank you. God Bless.

Sarah February 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hi Craig, you said not to enter you, but you were before the noon deadline, and guess what you won…e-mail me and I will send you the coupon code to Dayspring!

Blessings brother!

Craig February 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Yay. I will gladly accept the winning – without even the trying – yay me. God Bless :)

Emilie February 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I’m coming back for the next post. Just so you know. Thanks for writing, for tackling this issue that so many of us wrestle.

Craig February 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

Emilie – it is good to know I’m not the only one with this stuff. Thank you for telling me that. And thank you for reading. God Bless.

Debbie February 19, 2011 at 2:00 am

Thanks Craig for taking us through this the way He wants you too. That’s always the best way to write and share . . .and you are really good at it! God bless you and keep you.

Craig February 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

Your words are always too kind. But I’ll take them!!!! Please continue to be kind!!!! :)

God bless you too.

Connie February 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

wow…am I the only one who was midway through this story before realizing who the characters were?? amazing storytelling this is…

all for GOD,
c

Craig February 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Connie, I hope not. But you are the only one to mention it. So if there were a prize of say, one million dollars. I’m not saying there was such a prize. But if there were such a prize you would win it for noticing and telling me in such a nice way. Thank you – not quite a million times – but thank you. And God Bless.

Lynda February 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Great piece Craig. I did know the event you were referring to in such an amazing way. I know you need your sleep, but as Ann states, “it is in the dark that we see the the light.” God bless you and keep writing.

Craig February 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Thank you Lynda. Who am I to argue with Ann :) God Bless you too.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home February 23, 2011 at 6:00 am

I’m with Connie. I actually read it, scrolled back up and read it again… before the light came on. (“,)

Craig February 23, 2011 at 8:32 am

Sharon – have I told yu recently what a blessing you are to me? Well – you are. God bless.

jackie February 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

you know you came to visit my blog one day, and said some very nice things to me. so i came to visit you, and have followed this series of posts and want to say thank you for taking the time and for writing and for your honesty. the lier and deciever have been working on me lately, and here i had thought i was past that and mentally healthy and spiritually better. so it’s good to be reminded to confront the deciever with truth! again, thank you!

Craig February 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Jackie – thank YOU – you are so right. What you have said here has sent my mind churning – we don’t give the Enemy enough notices. The negative voices come from one of two places – the inner us, or the Enemy. I’m going to think about this, pray about it, and I think I’ll be writing about it again. Thank you. These voices really do need to be shut down. God Bless!!!