Love encourages – kind of – and does a writing prompt

by Craig on March 4, 2011

So, we were playing Pictureka.

You flip over cards and find the picture to match the word.

I had to find 8  “water droplets” .

The pressure mounted as sand ran like Olympic sprinters out of the little plastic hourglass. The mocking began – two nieces and a brother.

“Oh, I see them!”

“Oh I do too!”

“Uncle Craig, do you need help?”

As time was just about to run out I saw them!

Clouds are made of gazillions of water droplets.

I said, “there!”

Denied.

I explained my case.

Denied.

I googled the answer -showed them the proof!

Denied.

I grumbled – and to this day the mere mention of water droplets elicits a cascade of giggles.

I know, this is actually kind of an anti-encouragement story. Sometimes others don’t do the lovin’ – and you just have to love and encourage yourself.

It’s the only “self- love” I’ve ever written. But I needed to do it as an intro to the following. It’s a writing prompt assignment. The prompt was how water creates or destroys.

It’s my first time doing this so I wanted you all to get eased into it. The word limit is 600 words. I’m at 208 right already.

So no word counting until….

now.

Rain

“Move over buddy, will ya!” He seemed confident, brimming with bravado as he edged his way to the front of the line. Step by step he moved toward the one holding things up.

The timid droplet had hands holding on so tightly to the edges of the cloud that knuckles were the color of snow. Clearly upset by the experience, he peered over the edge of the cloud, but held on for life.

The bold one said, “You can’t stand there all day. You have to commit. Jump or get out of the way.”

“But I’ve heard stories – you know – about the ones who never come back. What if I don’t come back? What if I evaporate on the way down. What if I get sucked into a jet engine what if…”

“Oh. stop it.” The bold one interrupted, “You know what they say, ‘Don’t be afraid to go out on the edge of a limb, that’s where all the best places are to drip from! You’ll be fine. Just let go.”

“How many times have you done this?” asked the shy one, looking for a little moral support.

“I’ve been jumping for years. The world needs rain. It needs us. We nourish. We refresh, We give life. And I return every time. It’s basic water cycle stuff. You just have to let go – and trust.”

“But what if…”

“No what ifs – just do. You have a Creator who designed you for just this moment. Rays shine. Bunnies hop. Droplets drop. It’s all part of the plan. You’ll be fine. Just let go.”

This seemed to instill courage. The white knuckles were becoming clearer by the moment. The scared one bit his lip, breathed in deep, and said, “OK.  I’m gonna jump. I can do this. I know I can. I’m good at being wet. People tell me all the time I how wet I am. I’m…I’m…”

“Don’t tell – show! Shine! Just let go. I’ll be right behind you all the way.”

“You will?” said the scared one timidly, “I mean, that’ll help – if – if I know you’re behind me.”

“Absolutely! Live together – die alone! Ready?”

“I am. Thank you!” It was hard to see the tear streaming down his cheek – you know – being water and all. But it was there.

And off he flew. It was a glorious thing to behold. And suddenly the line behind him began to move. One after another – and droplets from other clouds joined in. It was rain palooza.

The brave one peeked over the edge of the cloud, shaking his head.

“Newbies!”

But there was no jumping. Just a high five with some other non-jumpers sitting at the card table. “Are you in this hand or what Jack?”

Looking around, not a single newbie was left,. He sat down, a satisfied grin on his face, “Shuffle up and deal!”

Dianna McBride March 4, 2011 at 6:58 am

Loving it! How many times have I deliberately held on to something simply because I was afraid to go it alone, when Jesus was right there behind me, around me, in me, all the time. This gives me encouragement ~ a good way to remember I’m not alone in this race called life ~ He’s right there with me! Thank you, Craig.

Craig March 4, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thank YOU Dianna. Me too. There’s a lot of both of us in that droplet. No? God Bless.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home March 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm

This was good. I AM jumping. I am a newbie. I know I can do it with encouragement … and God has been providing lots of encouragement through many of His Children lately.
:-)

Craig March 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Good – because you deserve it :)

Selena March 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I like the way your mind works. I NEVER in a million years would have come up with this interpretation! And I swear, I saw it in my mind fully illustrated, just like a kids book. FANTASTIC little story.

Craig March 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thank you for coming over and reading Selena. As you can see – I love God lots – and everything I write here has got a bit of him in it – I’d love to have you come back and read more. I know it’s not exactly your cup of tea – but you’ve got spunk – I sense a really good heart. This place is religious – but not a stained glass kind of place – but more a real faith – lived out – with good reason kind of place. And it is all about LOVE. God Bless.

Mandyland March 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

I loved your take on this prompt. Totally made me grin. And I love that the veteran drop went back to his game.

Awesome writing.

Visiting from TRDC.

Craig March 5, 2011 at 7:10 am

Yeah – I threw that in for the writer-y twist :) Thank you for the kind words. I read yours too. God Bless.

Debra March 5, 2011 at 12:41 am

“Sometimes others don’t do the lovin’ – and you just have to love and encourage yourself.” Isn’t this what “love your neighbor as yourself really means?” After all, how can we truly love our neighbor if we don’t love ourselves? Not narcissistic love, but agape love…. Knowing how deeply God loves us emboldens us to take the plunge.

Craig March 5, 2011 at 7:12 am

It is true – that to really understand love of others you have to have “agape” love for yourself – but really, maybe not necessary – I know I am not patient with me, nor kind, etc… and still I can (in my better moments) be such. So maybe that’s why nobody loves externally perfectly – because we don’t love internally that way – none of us – hmmmm. I heart when I’m forced to think – thank you Debra. God Bless.

Michelle March 5, 2011 at 3:13 am

Beautiful.

Once again you have shown yourself as the artist you are.

Kim March 5, 2011 at 8:21 am

Fun Craig. I too have begun to look at new ways to be gentle with myself. Because you’re right, the loving has to come from me. I’m comfortable with that these days – it took me a long time to get here.

Craig March 5, 2011 at 8:29 am

Always good to see you here Kim. Ultimately love comes from Our Lord – ultimately every good thing does. But on an earthly plane the world doesn’t love very well – we don’t love ourselves much – and we don’t love others well – and so from an earthly standpoint we better be good at loving ourselves and motivating ourselves – later it will be perfect – now – we don’t yet know – as we are known. God Bless you – and thank you.

Amy March 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Great take on the prompt! I loved it!

Craig March 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Amy, be warned though :) – that all my writing is going to take a Christian slant – It’s who I am and what I write :)

God Bless

Ash March 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant!! Every little bit. Especially the part where the old-timer heads back to his poker game. Perfection.

Original. Funny. Fresh. Love it! You have a new fan.

Cheryl @ Mommypants March 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm

A fun take on the prompt! I love those veteran drops. Totally made me giggle.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I bet you read every. single. prompt. don’t you. I think you a a fantastic writing ring leader – the RED WRITING HOOD. Thank you. God Bless.