Love continues thanking God 1000 times (#106-125)

by Craig on March 7, 2011

Because if it’s Monday it’s time for a wee bit of gratitude…

I am grateful…

#106 … for LOVE, not as the world portrays it, but as it really is, defined in three little verses.

#107 … that Love is the message of Our Lord Jesus, all rolled up like a ball of yarn.

#108 … that the funny thing about balls of yarn is this; If you leave them alone with a playful kitten, when you come back there’s yarn everywhere but no ball.

#109 … that Love is just like that. We unroll it little by little and soon we’re covered in it and it’s all over the place.

#110 … that God. is. like. yarn.

#111 … that as Ann puts it in her book, the world is, “a means of communion with God”. So that if I choose to see Our Lord, his footprints are all around me.

#112 … the way Laska the love kitty has finally figured out that if he sticks his paw under the faucet – the water ricochets off and makes a nice water fountain for him to drink from.

#113 … that Our Lord made all of us to love, vertically and horizontally and that the reason we can love at all – is because He first loved us.  (1JN 4:19)

#114 … that everything in this universe is without a choice to love or not to love. Atoms may sing praise but they have no choice, neither planets, nor plants, nor animals, but just us. Only we get to choose to love.

#115 … for the smile that just plants itself on my face as I read and comment on all of the thankful lists. How I don’t really notice that it’s even there, until my jaw gets a little sore – like it is right now, writing this.

#116 … that I don’t much care for spinach, especially when it’s cooked and soggy, but I do love me some chocolate chip cookies and milk.

#117 … and that love is like milk and chocolate chip cookies, and “not-love” is like soggy spinach (no disrespect to spinach lovers – just insert your own favorite brand of ‘blargh’ instead of spinach :)

#118 … for lids on top of garbage cans – except when they fly down the street like Frisbees on windy days.

#120 … that Our Lord seeks out and offers to fix what’s broken and make. it. whole.

#121 … that I’m finding out, that the dropping of masks, is better than the pretending.

#122 … that it’s the same tear that falls down the cheek when I am alone on a mountaintop, hearing the wind, and feeling God’s presence, as when I’m in a pew and singing a hymn with others who believe.

#123 … that God is there – even when I can’t “feel” him.

#124 … for hunger, and that my hunger for Our Lord is not like my hunger for things of this earth. Because worldly hunger gets sated, and then soon there’s a desire for more, and more isn’t always possible. But with God, my hunger gets sated, and when I get hungry again –  there. always. is. more.

In God’s love.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home March 7, 2011 at 7:53 am

What a beautiful list today. Thank you for making me laugh and smile this morning.
#114 oh that we get to praise Him out loud, this is a gift

Craig March 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thank you Sharon. These lists make me smile too. God Bless.

Terri March 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love your list of blessings!

Craig March 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thank you Terri. Thank you for reading. And God Bless you.

Anonymuss March 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

#114…that we get to choose to love….I like that. There is a beautiful freedom in that, and it eases the painful wounds that are a part of this life. When we choose to love, we are helped in transcending this broken world. In which ways can I choose to love today? How many times can I make these choices? Can I make them so often that they blot out the darkness that tries to encroach? yes! I love this!!!!! Onward and upward! (it does go hand in hand with the need, sometimes, to make the tough decisions that are a part of love that don’t always look like love. can’t wait until the wisdom that guides that part comes more easily.)

As always, luv the Laska! Great picture, Kreg! Laska is the epitome of innocence, love, and child-likeness. It seems as though all her actions are devoid of guile. Warms my heart just to think of her and your love for her. :)

Craig March 7, 2011 at 9:01 am

I M NOT A GURL KAT!!! But i foregiv u becuz u r nise – an u r smart tu.
luv
Laska the luv kity

Debbie March 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

haha! So kitties DO care about things like that. My daughter had a cat named Sheba that everyone would call a her, but Sheba was a “he”. She’d quickly correct the mistake. :)
And, this reminds me of when my oldest was only 2. We had a local pet shop that was kind of like a trip to the zoo for us. They had a parrot who talked to her and followed her down the aisle once, saying, “Hi boy”. As we left the store she finally said, “I’m not a boy!”

Anonymuss March 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Laska, I am so sorry! Please accept my apologies in lieu of a yummy cat treat or new big roll of super-sized TP to play with! My cat has a boy name but is a girl cat so confusion reigns here, too, sometimes. Humminz. That’s where the problems usually begin, isn’t it, Laska?

Craig March 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

Deb i m glad u unerstand – thank u.

An a. peeple hav timy branes too so it iz OK – and big toylet papur and treetz – my adres iz…

Craig March 7, 2011 at 9:02 am

Amen A – we all have those choices – like you wrote, “In which ways can I choose to love today? How many times can I make these choices?” – you and me – both – and all of us. Thank you A – and God Bless as always.

Melanie March 7, 2011 at 8:24 am

So beautiful!

Craig March 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thank you Melanie. God bless you – and thank you.

Anna March 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

#119 – what a beautiful thought – all the beauty we see is of a damaged world, and yet there is still so much of His fingerprint upon it – a shadowland of what we will see one day

Craig March 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

Amen – and can you imagine being in outer space – traveling among the galaxies – so far away that earth is just a blue dot – or the Milky Way Galaxy is smaller than that. All striking – all blemished – still beyond our imagination. Thank you for reading Anna – thank you – and God Bless.

glenna March 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Love …..your blessings and how you describe love …GODs love is truly all around us …

Craig March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am

I heart love Glenna – heart it like crazy. And I love how his hand prints are everywhere from the tiny to the unimaginably big. Thank you for reading and God Bless you and yours Glenna.

Debbie March 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thank you for your thankfulness! It’s contagious and infectious and that’s a good thing with thankfulness and love! :) I liked the last one! :)

Craig March 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

It is kind of catchy isn’t it – a grateful heart. Mine is so much more grateful since I began listing. Ann Voskamp gets the credit though. And her book – INcredible. God Bless you Deb – and your poem today BTW – 295 shades of awesome.

Shaunie Friday March 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi Craig,
I’m here from Ann’s–Just had to tell you how much I loved “#119 … for a temporarily broken planet with glorious things like mountains, and sunsets, and oceans, and snowflakes – all beautiful but not perfect. If what is imperfectly beautiful is so wondrous, then what must the perfect be like?” YES!! Oh YES!! Thank you for saying this so beautifully!

Dianna McBride March 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

#120 and #121 ~ my favorites out of a beautiful gratitude list, Craig. Thankful for how the LORD is using you as HIS vessel to speak to my heart ~ especially about mask dropping.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

Amen Dianna – he does find us – he does make us whole – and we are all broken. Even the ones who know him – we are broken too. He’s continually applying the super glue. No?

And the mask dropping it’s hard – so much easier to hide behind the mask – but Jesus never wore one – so I guess…

Thank you again for reading – God Bless you.

Dawn March 7, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’m with Anonymuss pondering the notion that we are the only ones that get to choose to love. Hmmmm. I. stopped. there. for. a. long. time. I’m memorizing the parts of Colossians right now where it reads, “all things were created through him and for him.” Colossians 1:16c His plan: everything was created for Him but He allowed us the choice not to be for Him. No wonder creation is moaning until He comes again (Romans 8:22)!

Craig March 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

No wonder creation groans – amen. It took me a while to figure this one out Dawn. Only a couple of years ago did it hit me – and only because I read it in the ancient writings of the Church Fathers – that the only reason any of us can do anything good is because good exists – love exists – God is love. So what we think we are the center of the Universe even when we aren’t – we ARE his center of the universe!! Thank you so much Dawn – and God Bless.

kelly @ In Everything March 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

like #116 & #117… a plate of chocolate chip cookies definitely means LOVE to us. Means someone’s sacrificed their time to prepare them for us:) And we are most grateful for cookies!

Craig March 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

Well for me – to be honest – it means a factory spat them out and I got them on sale at the Grocery store – but they still mean love :) Thank you for stopping by Kelly. And God Bless.

Christina March 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m on the journey of #121 and it is such a blessing to be real. I also loved #119.
Thanks for sharing your list!

Craig March 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

It is a blessing to drop the masks – though really scary sometimes. No? And #119 is more amazing every time I think about it. I totally stand out of the way on this one – it is all God.
Thank you for reading Christina, and God Bless.

Cora March 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

I’m so glad I stopped by today! I loved the illustration of the yarn balls and God’s love being all entwined around us. I won’t soon forgot that. I also think I would choose the chocolate chip cookies over the spinach.

It IS amazing that we as human creations are the only ones who get to choose to love. And how many times, we don’t! After reading this, I will be making a note of how many times today I choose NOT to love. I’m almost afraid of what I will find.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

It helps to have Laska the love kitty around for illustrations. He’s not as good as the children almost all my readers have – r will have – or have had – but he does teach me things. And yes – we are the only ones who can choose and we do so moment my moment – at once both freeing – and terrifying. I’m with you. I remember once determined to see how long I could go without a sinful thought or action – well never mind – that was kind of floppy. Thank you for being here Cora – and God Bless.

Miriam Pauline March 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Beautiful list. Especially blessed by #121. So true.

Thank you for stopping by my place today. Blessings.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Miriam – reading your list – and your intro to it was a joy :) This is my year named “connecting” – dropping the masks was the first thing I did – it had to be done. Not safe – but better. Blessings to you too Miriam – blessings.

Kara March 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Craig,
Awesome list, brother!!!

This: that I’m finding out, that the dropping of masks, is better than the pretending.
yes, but the mask is easier sometimes, right?

This: that Our Lord seeks out and offers to fix what’s broken and make. it. whole.
this is my hope…. the hope that does not disappoint!

This: for hunger, and that my hunger for Our Lord is not like my hunger for things of this earth. Because worldly hunger gets sated, and then soon there’s a desire for more, and more isn’t always possible. But with God, my hunger gets sated, and when I get hungry again – there. always. is. more
I wrote the same thing earlier, but didn’t use as many words. ;>

Blessings,
Kara

Craig March 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Kara – the mask is ALWAYS easier! And how ofte he fixes us – and we go and break ourselves again – sad. And nobody uses more words than me – I say in 2,000 what good writers say in 10. But I heart words :) Thank you for visiting Kara – and the really kind words – and God Bless you.

Gabe March 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by last week..love the image of Gods love being like a ball of unraveled yarn…all over the place

Craig March 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Me too Gabe – but the thing is it only gets that way when a kitten unravels it. We (read I) need to unravel better. Thank you – and God Bless.

Amber March 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I LOVE #106 and #111.

Sam and I are currently memorizing 1 Cor. 13. It is amazing how love takes on a new meaning when you really let those verses sink in.

I love Ann’s description. It makes me look at the world in a different way. We just started a local discussion (in my home) centered around the book and WOW, it has already been great and we are only in the first week.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Ann is THE reason I blog in this community – it was her writing that stopped me from writing a blah blah theology blog. All head and no heart. I owe her a lot. And these three little verses – they define my life – and believe it or not I don’t have them memorized :) Thank you for being here Amber – and as always God Bless you and Sam and the little one.

Shaunie Friday March 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Craig,
This just sings to me–I couldn’t have said it better myself! “#119 … for a temporarily broken planet with glorious things like mountains, and sunsets, and oceans, and snowflakes – all beautiful but not perfect. If what is imperfectly beautiful is so wondrous, then what must the perfect be like?” Glad you told me about the comment–I can’t seem to post comments on ANY Wordpress blogs these days–you said it went to spam? Don’t know if you’ll get this one either.

Craig March 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Yay – I got this one Shaunie – thank you for going through al that trouble. ANd thank you for having a name that is so unique:).

119 sings to me too – it wasn’t until I thought this about the Kingdom of God that I really even wanted it to come – although I prayed for it – Everything bad – gone. Everything good – better. That’s what 119 is. Thank you again Shaunie – and God bless.

Abby March 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Craig! Honestly, I always pick a thing that sticks out to comment on as it strikes me, which was the first in your list. Then, everything kept striking me and it really was so very worshipful to read and keep reading and smiling right back at you…

powerful, powerful love stuff!

and thank you for the kind, encouraging comments you’ve been leaving at my place…you are a blessing!

because He first loved us, {AMEN AND AMEN!}, Abby

Craig March 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Abby. Thank you – I smile with pride at first – then remember I write this way because of Ann, she helps me see – and Our Lord – who shows me what can be seen – and humility comes – which is where I should be in the first place. I am grateful that you read me today. I really am. More him – less me. Thank you – thank you – and God Bless.

Melissa March 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love #123! Belief can be most of the battle. Thank you for visiting my blog!

Peaceful Wishes,
Melissa

Craig March 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I agree Melissa – faith is nearly all of the battle. Thank you for reading – and Peaceful wishes to you too.

Rachelle March 8, 2011 at 7:20 am

Thank you for sharing your beautiful list. I also resonated with #119 and I’m still thinking about the image that God’s love is like yarn after the cat finds it. I can really envision that having two yarn loving kitties myself.

Craig March 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thank you Rachelle – I’ve learned love is just a plain ball of yarn until it gets spread around or woven into something pretty :). And 199 is a fave of mint too. “We see in a mirror darkly…”

Thank you for reading, and God Bless you and yours this day.

Miz Liz March 9, 2011 at 1:04 am

Thank you for this list today. And all your “commenters.” Being here is restful. Good. And I remember,again, to love. Because He first loved me. Even when it’s hard. Thank you, Craig. P.S. Now I have to figure out why I can’t see your pictures. I won’t allow technology to steal my joy.
:-)

Craig March 9, 2011 at 6:19 am

The pictures have just disappeared and won’t go back in. I’m working on it. Grrrrrrr. Thank you Liz for pointing it out to me. Now – to not let it steal my joy too. God Bless you – the first one is “kitty in ball of yarn” the other is cookies and milk. I’m sorry – thank you for being so nice anyway.

Path of Treasure March 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

What a beautiful list, liked #114, #119, #120 especially… and loved the God’s love/ball of yarn analogy! Yes– how wonderful to ponder how unimaginably beautiful heaven must be. Thank you for sharing this, so inspiring!

Craig March 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much – these are really kind words. And the ball of yarn thing – it’s true – if we roll around in God’s love – we spread it everywhere. Again – thank you – a lot. God bless.

donna rae barrow March 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Hi, Craig! Thanks for stopping by Flannel Jammies Farm to read my list of gratitude. I liked #124 on your list… may our hunger for God and the Word grow stronger, finding more and more fulfillment each day.

Craig March 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hi Donna – thank you too. The hunger has always been there – even when I was wandering. It really has never subsided. – and had been sated and re-sated so many times. Our Lord is endlessy generous. Thank you again – and God Bless.

Beth Stone March 10, 2011 at 1:30 am

Great list…. I am also thankful for chocolate chip cookies and milk (and spinach, incidentally – but Brussels sprouts wouldn’t make my list). :) And Amen to #119 and 123…

I appreciate the fact that you read through and comment on so many (or all?) of our entries every week…. Thanks for taking the time and for the kind words. :o) God bless.

Craig March 10, 2011 at 5:50 am

Everybody likes 199 and 123 – the others have jealousy issues :)

I’ll give you spinach Beth – and glad we’re kindred spirits about brussels sprouts – this is covered in #26 and 27 of my hundred’s list :) Thank you for reading – and thank you for YOUR kind words – and commenting – pretty much ALL – conversation is what this is blogging is supposed to be about right – a dialogue. The web is no longer for “surfing” it’s for relating :)

God Bless you Beth.