Love lets go of the past

by Craig on March 9, 2011

Every Wednesday, either on this or Love’s twin site, I join Ann Voskamp and many others and post a spiritual practice that can draw us nearer to Our Lord’s heart….

ann voskamp 1000 gifts

So the last three Wednesdays over on Deep into Scripture I’ve been all theoretical and theological about time and eternity.

For the next three Wednesdays, as we walk with Him towards Easter, I’m considering this :

The Practice of Letting Go

Because if I have heart brimming with bitterness it has no room for love.

And if I possess an ego full of pride there is no space for humility.

But this week I consider…

that holding onto the past, means I can’t grab the present.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this one already. I’ve been “tweeting” these thoughts for months. So today I’m just going to share my tweets on the subject. And then ask you guys a question.

Negative voices, echoes from the past, only confine, and constrict and obstruct. And newer, better voices, need heeding.

Our minds are conditioned by the past. The future is a projection of our past. I need to stop worrying so much about projections.

If I spend most of my time thinking about the past, I’m missing life itself. It’s passing me by while I’m elsewhere.

I need to let go of past dead weight, and focus on what is happening now, and the God with whom I share this moment.

The past is where I come from, not where I live. And no one is even promised a future. Just now, live in the now, eye on eternity.

Harness the past, plan for the future, soak up the present.

I look at Laska the love kitty, he lets go of the past, and he’s all about the now, the now is kind of all he cares about.

Live the now, control what I allow in it, use the past, lay good stones down for the path to the future.

The words always come so easily– the doing is the challenge.

Choose what fills the moment. Bring good from the past to the present, and in doing so, form the future.

If it’s from the past and was successful bring it forward and implement it. If it’s unsuccessful from the past catalog it, eliminate it.

I think that trying to be present without a context is like reading Bible verses without context. Remember the past, just don’t dwell on it.

This present moment is always tied to the past and the future. The present is colored by the context surrounding the moment.

And you know what? Now that I see all these “tweets” together like this, it makes me want to listen to my own words – now.

Do any of these stick out to you?

Because if it’s something you think is important, I want to think more about it. That’s one of the best things I’m finding out about blogging – the wisdom I get to glean from you guys.

What do you think I need to learn from this, that can help me draw nearer to Our Lord’s heart. And walk in his steps better?

If you have a minute, please share…

In God’s love.

Dianna McBride March 9, 2011 at 6:42 am

“The words always come so easily ~ the doing is the challenge.” That’s me! That is exactly where I am with so many things in my life right now. I guess I hadn’t really realized how much so until I saw those words out there in front of me. Thank you, Craig, because this gives me a definite direction as I begin this walk with HIM towards Easter. I am excited to see how HE will help me change in these areas.

Craig March 9, 2011 at 8:22 am

Amen Dianna – the words – especially for a wordy guy like me – so easy. It’s the doing. All about the doing. I’m glad to be walking with you toward Easter Dianna. God bless you.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home March 9, 2011 at 6:56 am

“This post is kind of like a field of strawberries, just grab the ones you like, and leave the rest where they lay, somebody else might want one of them.” *heart* this.

“And now that I see them all together like this. It makes me want to listen to my own words.” Isn’t it funny how this happens?

Craig March 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

You know – “heart” as a verb is a word I didn’t even know existed before I began blogging. Now it’s one of my favorite verbs :)

And true – I’ve been thinking about this sporadically – and now it is all here together – kind of like an exclamation point. Thank you for reading Sharon. God bless.

A. March 9, 2011 at 7:12 am

“What can I learn from this that will help me draw nearer to Our Lord’s heart, and walk in His steps better?” That’s the place where I want to be-close to Him and walking like Him. What I learn can help free me to put the past in its proper place, so I am not unnecessarily hindered in the present. And then, even when I learn something-I need His help to make it actually really click within me so that I can truly do and be what I learn.

Craig March 9, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m with you – it really isn’t a letting go of the past – it’s more of the proper using of it. LikeI tweeted – animals may be good at being “present” – but we can be more than that – we can choose what to bring with us from the past – some of the stuff is useful and good. Hmmmm. Now to be wise about the choosing. Nice to be walking with you A. God Bless.

Amy March 9, 2011 at 8:07 am

“One really good way to be miserable, is to dwell on what was, or could have been, or what might happen. Instead of just being here – now.” I need to focus on being here right now. One wouldn’t think that would be so difficult, but I struggle with it. Being present for my girls and husband instead of having my mind on the past or the future. Thanks for sharing Craig!

Amy March 9, 2011 at 8:30 am

Craig, what an awesome list! I can’t pick just one . . . unless it’s to say that this one topic is so relevant to my life right now too. Living now, leaving past hurts, forgiving, trusting – it’s all a part of this journey of discovering who I am as God’s child and who He wants me to be. I am so grateful for community like this to share common struggles and encouragement along the way. Thanks so much for sharing!

Craig March 9, 2011 at 8:39 am

Amy. I’m a deep tweeter :) God stuff pops in my head and I tweet some of it.

I am so with you on this – being NOW – dumping past garbage – journeying. I’m grateful to for this community – I heart this community. Thank YOU for reading. God bless you. (Amy number two :)

Craig March 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

Amy – thank you for reading today. Ann is teaching so many of us to stop and count blessings, see God in the everyday. Another thing I heart about blogging is all the people I get to pray for. Makes me smile. So I just said a prayer for you to – about being present with your girls and hubs. God Bless you.

P.S. And as I was this reply to the “first” Amy – a comment from the “second” Amy came in – and this comment got dropped below the “second” Amy – but is meant for the “first” Amy.

Two Amy’s in a row – on my blog about God’s love – and Amy meaning what it does. That makes me smile.

brie March 9, 2011 at 9:03 am

isn’t it so important to live in the NOW? our God is yesterday, today and forever, but he meets us here…he waits for us there. thanks for the reminder.

Craig March 9, 2011 at 9:35 am

It really is Brie. And I think one of the things I learned by seeing these all together is that it really is a combination thing. We are eternal creatures now – we weren’t before the Cross – but we are now. So we dream of the future – live in the present – and do not dwell on the past. Thank you for you addition to my stuff here – I have learned from it. God Bless.

Rebecca March 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

The words always come so easily ~ the doing is the challenge.

Thank you. I’ve heard it said that thoughts are the leaves, deeds are the fruit. You can’t have fruit without leaves, but Christ cursed the tree with leaves and no fruit…convicting.

I also love that God’s covenant name is “I AM” not “I was”, not “I will be”, I AM.

Craig March 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

I have to think about this – writing is good for thinking :)
thoughts are the leaves – – ok
deeds are the fruit – ok
can’t have fruit without the leaves – true
And Our Lord cursed the tree with leaves but no fruit. Hmmmm

Is it the “being a hearer -and doer of the word” of James – and his “faith without works is dead” – himmm – Jame wrote so much like his brother taught –

and so I’m getting…

“Good – big deal – I “know” this stuff – and I write it – But it’ll be a big “woe is me” if Our Lord walks by and sees all the pretty leaves – and no action being taken on behalf of the thoughts.”

That’s kind of magnificent. Thank you Rebecca. God bless.

Michelle March 10, 2011 at 12:43 am

Also, kinda scary.

Craig March 10, 2011 at 5:45 am

Serious, sober minded, not “cheap” grace, accountable – not possible (because perfection is impossible) but there is Grace still. James is all over this – and we’re about to get to his big points. But the fact is true – if we are Christians we will have love as our fruit – if we don’t have love as our fruit – that’s a darned good sign we should be a little afraid. So not so scary – perfection is not required for perfection – Our Lord didn’t strike down a tree because it bore not enough fruit – but none. I think I’ll have to look at this in the future – and as much as I’m beginning to write stories now – when I get to the Gospels I think I’m gonna love writing more.

Michelle – is that the scary you’re talking about – or am I off base??

Michelle March 11, 2011 at 1:58 am

This is what I thought ‘scary’, but in an awe-inspiring way, rather than a fear-filled way. You covered it pretty well.

Debbie March 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

Oooo . . .I liked Rebecca’s comment. :)
I’m picking the one about if I keep reliving the painful past, I miss out on living today and what He has for me now. I don’t want to miss out on Him ever. I do like thinking back on the good things He has done for me in the past. That helps me go into each day with a smile and a thankful heart.
So thankful for you too, Craig! God bless you and all you keep helping us learn and do with Jesus!

Craig March 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

It was brilliant wasn’t it Deb? :)

You know – Ann’s direction was to go with the “letting go” part – and look at my title – it’s about letting go. But when I look back on all of the tweets I find it’s not ALL about letting go – like you say “thinking back on the good things He has done for me in the past” – that’s important. I mean nobody brings home rats from their vacation to Europe – they bring home the chocolate right? Hmmmmm. Good stuff. I’m learning. God Bless.

A. March 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Well, that’ll stick on mind’s walls for sure: bring home the chocolate, not the rats. LOL but so true!!!

Craig March 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm

My ADD riddled brain comes up with stuff sometimes :)

Michelle March 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm

As always I love all your words. But in saying that I keep coming back to this one:
*Just be present, sense the time, slow it down. draw in a little positive past, anticipating a brighter future, but being here – now.
If I slow my mind down (and I can do that) I have more time, and I’m not rushing from here to there to wherever ……… and not being anywhere.
So (deep breath) be present, sense the time, and slow it down. and then go to get hands x-rayed, teach three classes of children about Jesus and how special they are to Him, go to dentist, come home, get teenagers off to youth group, spend time with hubby, and ….. breathe throughout it all

Craig March 9, 2011 at 6:15 pm

And we can’t actually slow time down – but we can slow down our perception of it -it’s like the difference in watching a pot of water – waiting for it to boil – and “distracting” ourselves for a few minutes while we wait. One way time “flies” the other – it just ticks sooooo slowly. But of course – you seem to have more than enough “distractions” to make time “fly” – just keep breathing :) Breathing is good. :)