Love chats with God about being “Father” (prayer pt 4)

by Craig on March 21, 2011

The Lord's Prayer in Aramaic - the spoken language of Jesus - 'cause it's cool

And so, because I needed to fix my problem of not praying enough, or well enough, I made up this new way for me to pray.

“Tweeting” constantly with Him (so we stay in near perpetual conversation) (here and here)

God first, others second, me third (meaning I rarely get to the “me” part) (more on this later)

The Lord’s Prayer (because – well – Our Lord said “pray like this”)

And it’s not just saying the Lord’s Prayer – but chatting with him about what each part means to me.

And because I always need examples or my brain gets confused.

This is kinda how I do it.

The “Our Father” part …

To me this is all about thinking on God as “dad” and us as his kids. I ponder about how that might be special. Or disconcerting. Or helpful. Or nice.

And there are some of us who never had a god “dad” to base our perceptions of God as Father on – so here’s a chance to fix that. Like Our Lord compared the bad shepherds to the Good Shepherd – I compare the Good Father – to the not so good one.

He wasn’t … you are

He didn’t … you do

He did this … you don’t

This is the way it went this morning…

…It’s one thing to pray to a far off God. It’s so much better to have someone intimate and personal. Father – that has to be the sweetest thing about you.

Because you are my “abba” I live this life with the best of all possible guardians.

You really want to be involved in everything, be it momentous or mundane.

With all you are, you’re my dad, you care, you love me, and you won’t ever stop. Thank You.

There are a gazillion ways to think about this. And as circumstances and emotions change like shifting winds, the way I view him as Father on any given day is unique – and fresh.

And if I repeat a “good” way of seeing him as father – big deal.

It only makes it that much better.

There is no pressure to be constantly creative, no need to be worried about, “am I doing this right” – just thinking about what it means that God has personally deemed to adopt me, us.

How he makes himself responsible for us.

How he is literally “Father” because it’s his spark in us that makes us alive.

How he didn’t have to do it.

How solid his commitment is.

And what it means to be a child of his, an heir to the King.

And what this means for the kind of access we have to Him.

And how he loves us unconditionally – as a Good parent.

And if you’re a parent – well, you understand this in a way I can’t. I have a sister who’s been like a daughter – but never had a child. But if you have, then you have access into the meaning of God as the “Good Parent”, that I can only dream of.

OK – this is gonna take longer than the day or two I had planned.

Brevity is not one of my strong points.

If it were, I’d be a poet.

In God’s love.

Dawn March 21, 2011 at 9:44 am

I wondered how you were going to manage “Our Father” with your experiences in this area. I just thought I’d drop by and let you know I mentioned you today in my blog on “Toast.” I really appreciate your wisdom.

Resting here,

Craig March 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yup – that’s how I do it. It works immensely well – the power of the opposite. Oooooh – and a mention. Squeeeeee.

God Bless you Dawn.

-t- March 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

oh, i am ever so thankful to call Him, Abba Father… with ALL that that means :)

Mark 14:36
“Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
Romans 8:15
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
Galatians 4:6
Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”

Alicia The Snowflake March 21, 2011 at 10:54 am

Great point Craig! It’s so easy to forget that he really does love us like a parent, which I never really understood until I became one. I had a terrible father growing up (& step-dad). So I especially love how you made the contrast between the two. Thanks for sharing!

Craig March 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

I never lose sight of that part of the relationship between him and me – the trick is to balance it with the next part – he is both Almighty God – and dad. And anyone with father issues (raises hand) – it’s actually been an easy way to see how good a Father Our Lord is. Thank you Snowflake. God bless.

Craig March 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

It does mean so much doesn’t it? Thank you for reading today. And all this Scripture – I heart Scripture. My fave is being “adopted” that means he chose us – CHOSE US. Really thank you for coming, and commenting, made me smile big. God Bless.

Debbie March 21, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I love these lessons on praying and about our Father God. Lots of love in that! Thank you and God bless you as you pray!

Craig March 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I think all the time Deb – to have a God that’s all powerful – blah, blargh, meh – who wants that. I want a God who is all powerful – and all loving. That’s the one we have. Yay us!! God Bless.

laura March 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I’m stopping over from tinuviel’s and I’m so glad I did. What a creative thinker you are! New ways to pray always speak to me. Our God is endlessly creative–I think he honors our attempts to meet him in new ways. Nice to meet you in this place. Many blessings.

Craig March 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Thank you Laura. Those are kind words. Funny, I forget that this way of prayer that’s been my life for ages – is new. We all have pieces to the puzzle don’t we. I missed that important point for far too long. Thank you for reading. God Bless.

Cora March 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I’m so glad I stopped by tonight. The “father” thing has always been hard for me. As a child, God was used as a threat, a judge who would hand down guilt sentences, harsh punishments, never forgot my bad ways, and managed the “what comes around goes around” circling cloud of doom. It’s taken years and years of God’s endearing patience for me to trust Him enough to even lift my eyes and whisper, “Father”. But when I did, I felt the everlasting arms around me. “That we should be called the sons (or daughters!) of God” is perhaps the most amazing and life changing things I ever came to embrace and accept for myself. I read your post over and over tonight, only because I just wanted to hear it again and again. I loved the picture of the hands. It reminded me of my Dad’s. I could still smell the oil burners he worked on. His grip was tight but tender, he could fix anything, and they were so big, they would hold a large open Bible as if it were a tiny, pocket sized New Testament.

Thanks so much for this! If I never get past the “Our Father” part, that will be ok with me!

Craig March 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Cora – your way with words is amazing – I may have to steal them!! :) And the picture – I was going to go with the standard guy in the white hair sitting on a cloud picture – then I thought – no – I want what I feel to be here – not just some icon. I ‘m glad you liked the choice. God Bless you.

A. March 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I love what you wrote here, and I especially love the photo of the two hands…it says so much! It says what you said. An Abba who is so strong yet so gentle. Responsible for us. So much heart here!

Craig March 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm

The hand photo is exactly how I view the relationship too A. All his heart – I really do my best writing when I’ copying off of His page :) God bless A.

Michelle March 22, 2011 at 6:23 am

Your words are, as always, great. But today it is the photo that speaks the most to me.

Thank you.

Craig March 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Everybody likes the picture – and I almost didn’t pit it in – and it wasn’t the my first “hands” picture – but the one I liked the best in the end. Thank you Michelle – God Bless.

Melissa March 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

You shine light in colors I haven’t seen or imagined. Your words make me think of the endless supply and creation of all good things, all finding their origin in a good, good God, the Father of Lights. And Oh, I can see the resemblance — like Father, like son.

Craig March 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m learning that we all see colors that others don’t – that’s why we need each other. I see stuff when I read you that I could never see on my own.And, “The Father of Lights” haven’t heard that title for God since Christmas – so good to have you here. God Bless.

Rhonda Schrock March 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yes! I love that prayer. The Lord’s Prayer has really spoken to me in the last two or so years, and it comes to me often. As I’m facing something tough, tempted to worry, this thought will come to mind: “But I have a Father.” And that stops many of the enemy’s arrows.

Thank you for this reminder!

Craig March 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

“But I have a Father.” And that stops many of the enemy’s arrows. – I heart these words!! I have to use the Lord’s prayer more often – maybe throw it out to intercept arrows too. THank you for reading – and for this too – and God Bless you Rhonda.