Love “does” like the “doing” in Heaven (love prays pt7)

by Craig on March 25, 2011

Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven…

We’re going over my humble little system of prayer – it began here.

This part of The Lord’s Prayer used to be hard too, just like “thy kingdom come” – from yesterday. I used to wonder, “How can we possibly do the will of God here, as good as it’s done in heaven.”

And if we can’t do it as well as it’s done in heaven,
then how can we ever fulfill this part of the prayer.
And if we can’t fulfill this part of the prayer,
then why bother with the praying of it at all.

Or was this just another part of the Lord’s Prayer I’d say without “umph”?

But then…

I’ve shared this before, I battle with old negative voices all the time. Even about writing this blog – and when I hear them I don’t want to post, I don’t want to write, I’d rather just curl up in a ball.

But I know these negative voices won’t win.

This is what I hear, “There’s no way you can come up with new posts, continually, about three little verses in the Bible. You’re not that good of a writer to begin with. And nobody could write that much about so little.”

But negative voices are like t.v. criminals – they both always make a key mistake.

I’ve found that I just have sit them down, give them a good hearing, pray, and see how their logic unravels. It always does.

The mistake in this voice?

“…nobody could write that much about so little”

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

That’s only 62 words – but the ways to live these words out are boundless. And I’ve been thinking about, and practicing, nuances of God’s love since the days of big hairspray bangs.

I’m not going to tire of thinking about all the different facets of God’s love, if I’ve been doing it since…
Debbie Gibson,
and Tiffany,
and “Wake me up before you go – go”.

It’s not very logical to think I’ll suddenly lose the inspiration to do it now.

The voice is clearly mistaken.

Anyway, where was I – oh, “thy will be done as it’s done in heaven”.

Here’s the thing.

Heaven– whatever it is – is a place where love is the rule – all the time.

Heaven is Love-apalooza.

So to do it here
as it’s done there
is just to try.

And no, we can’t do it perfectly here.
None of us can.
But here is for the striving,
there is for the perfection,
and for the here,
there’s Grace.

When I discovered that this part of the prayer was just about finding a way to do love, it became the easiest, and most fun part, of the whole thing.

It’s just picking a specific aspect of love – patience, kindness, whatever – it’s only 62 words after all – and talking to Our Lord about how I can do it today – and asking for his help to do it more like it’s done in heaven.

Something simple,
I don’t even want to give an example.
I don’t want to limit you.
It’s just love.
It’s just, “Lord, help me love today…”

Ok – that’s a little example – but you know what I meant.

It’s just a talk.

And if you need a little inspiration on any given day. I know there’s somebody who blogs about Love all the time. If you want, I’ll find that web addy and get back to you.

In God’s love.

Leisa Hammett March 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

Not to be a devil’s advocate here. Uh, no pun intended. I say heaven and hell exist in the here and now if we choose either. But I do like the concept of not waiting for “heavenly delights” until one dies. And, I’d also conjecture those negative voices are your…I’d say metaphorical “devil.” Here’s a big hand to catapult him off your shoulder and on to his big fat red a_ _. 😉

Michelle March 26, 2011 at 5:17 am

I teach Religious Education to Grade 2 children. I had a child ask me once where hell was. I told him, ‘hell is where God isn’t’.

Craig March 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

Not to be devil’s advocate – but – I think things can get a whole lot worse than here – and not “our” privileged here – but worse than the worst parts of here, parts of Africa, for instance. The very worst there is here – is nothing compared to a total lack of love – and whatever “hell” is – it’s a total lack of love. And the very best there is here – is nothing to compared to how good it can be if there was a total presence of love. Just sayin’.

And the negative voices – two sources I think. I do think there are angels – and if there angels there are “anti” angels – some would call them demons – Jesus did. Angels help, encourage, the others do the opposite. So the “voices” could be them. Or you know what – they could just be me – and those old life tapes from childhood – the ones that keep coming back even when you throw them out – and no longer have a “tape” player to play them on :)

I really heart that you came here and read. You are a special person. I think you’re a really special person. God Bless.

P.S. DOn’t use big words like conjecture – they confuse my tiny brain :)

Dawn March 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Almost 40 years ago when my husband first went into the ministry and I was a young pastor’s wife with a baby boy on my hip, I was privileged to know a Mennonite woman who was, at the time, the age I am now. She accepted an invitation from me to head a women’s retreat for “my” ladies. One of the teachings Erma Maust left indelibly on my heart was that “help me” prayers don’t help much. She said that if she asked God to help her, it was a whole lot more trouble for Him than if she simply stepped out of the way and allowed Him to do the loving through her.

She said she always substituted the words “I choose” for the words “Help me” in a prayer. For example, instead of saying, “Lord, help me to love”, she’d pray, “Lord, I choose to love.” She’d then do whatever it was she thought was loving (whether she felt loving or not) and simply waited upon the Lord to do the actual loving through her. Telling the Lord that she was definitely going to move in the direction He wanted her to move, motivated her to act. It was like a promise. Otherwise, she found herself waiting around a lot for help to arrive, accomplishing very little.

Maybe it’s a matter of semantics, but it made sense to me. Perhaps it will be helpful to someone else reflecting on this “doing” part of the Lord’s prayer.

Love that love-apalooza line,

A. March 25, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Ok, Dawn that really helps me, too, and combined with what Craig is saying I might then pray this way: “God, I choose to love in this way (patience, kindness, etc.) or for this person, etc. today. Show me what that might best look like.” It is likely God will show me the best ‘patience, kindness, etc.’ choice, too, I am guessing.

“That’s only 62 words – but the ways to live these words out are boundless.” That is so true! Kind of like 100 Ways to Cook Cabbage only much, much better! :)

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:26 am

Except love is in no way like cabbage – icccchhhhh – blargh – blech – but I’m not being judgy here – ok – maybe a little. God Bless A.

Michelle March 26, 2011 at 5:14 am

I like that to. There is an old Don Francisco song, “Love is not a feeling, it’s an act of the will”. It’s a reminder to me that even if I don’t feel loving, I can act loving. I can choose to love.

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

I have one person in my life I do not “love” at all – no feeling whatsoever – I choose to “do love” for and to that person – I think that’s love like you describe. People I know – who don’t know Our Lord say that If I don’t “feel” the love I shouldn’t “do it” – I think we know better though. No?

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:23 am

I do think I’m with that intent – we do have to choose – but we cannot – CANNOT – love without the font of love. More of him less of me. It’s like Patti says down below – that was a great reminder to me. And it’s like Grace itself. No? It begins with Our Lord, it can’t start with us. But it is accepted or rejected by us. Love begins with him – and then as your Erma said – we “choose” to do it – I think right now that’s a good thing to add. To know it isn’t possible without Him – but to choose to do it – And I think even to ask for his help to make that choice possible – and well done. Lots to think about – I learned. Thank you Dawn. God Bless.

Patti March 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm

What helps me as I try to grow in agape love is the realization that I can’t do it alone – and that is a good thing. It is only by staying attached to the true vine that this little branch can grow at all. Your words are so true – “Lord, help me love today…”. We only grow as we remain dependent on him. I am placing a link to both your websites on my blog honor roll, because I would like others to discover your writing. God bless you.

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:05 am

This is good Patti – thank you. I can’t love the right way unless it comes from him. We do, I do, in the natural state think of self first – the natural is not love – only the supernatural – and the more I’m linked in there – the more the love flows. The vine – dependency – amen – and thank you you – I do consider it a huge compliment – and an honor – thank you so much. God Bless.

Debbie March 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

This was really encouraging, Craig. And I love the comments too. :) Has me thinking I can do this, with Him! God bless you and your love of Him!

A. March 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Deb, me thinks you be doin’ a lot of this already! :)

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:16 am

Debbie – the comments are great arent’ they? And having you here – well that’s just plain necessary!! We can do this – but only – ONLY with him. We aren’t perfect enough – we reflect the light – we aren’t the light. No? As I type it – I know it – I’m reminded of it – NOW TO LIVE IT. God Bless You deb.

marlece March 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hey Craig, every time I read your writings you bring out such good points. This one brought it all to one point….GOD IS LOVE, there is nothing bigger or better than His LOVE. I like where you said, “love is the rule” in earth as it is in heaven.

You said it again Mr. Craig….thanks!

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:09 am

I think the problem in a nutshell is that love is not even the majority rule on earth – but it’s 100% in heaven, and whatever the kingdom is – it will be 100% there. We’ve never lived in that much love in even the most loving of situations. That’s the exciting part. If I take the most loving situation I’ve ever had – heaven – and the kingdom – are infinitely better. Thank you for being here Marlece. God Bless.

Kathy Reynolds March 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

Craig, I ran across your blog on Ann’s website. I thank you for opening a window into the love of Christ and representing those of us who are single well. One thing that I wanted to add was that each morning I pray that I will “be the hands and feet of Jesus”. I am a marriage and family therapist and I feel like I step into the trenches everyday. I have been in this field for almost fifteen years and it never gets easier. If we could learn to personify love even just a little, what a difference it would make in keeping marriages and families together and strong. It starts with me. It starts with the little things. Jesus washed feet, He got dirty, He was uncomfortable, He didn’t fit societies’ norm…..He just loved. And for the here, there is grace!! Love this.

Craig March 26, 2011 at 7:13 am

Thank you Kathy. Although through the years I’ve learned that I don’t really open the window – He opens it – I just point. :)

And amen – “to be the hands and feet of Jesus” – that’s our job – thank you for that reminder. And this one too, “It starts with me. It starts with the little things.” the ripple starts at the center, then spreads. SO good – thank you. And God Bless you.

Dawn March 26, 2011 at 8:50 am

Ah, Craig, you just “tripped my brain switch” with the “He opens it–I just point.” response above. A couple of weeks ago I watched a Nova special on “Dogs.” They are the only animal that responds when a human points. Not even chimpanzees will follow a human’s pointing gestures. Dogs, however, know it is a gesture of meaning and respond. Now, I know what Laska will say, “I choose not to acknowledge a human’s gestures.” (I can’t say it in the cute way that he would), but doesn’t this say something about a cat’s companionability if it doesn’t indicate level of intelligence?

Just sayin’

Craig March 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

dere dawn

tis iz laksa th love kity – dogz hav no choyse – thay hav to pleze huminz – it iz in thayre jenetiks – an i hav seen mani dogz just luk at th fingr when peepel poynt. U must no difrint dogz.

an thay smel funi to – but it iz gud u luv dogz – thay nede luv

th opinyunz espresd heer r mi own and du not reeflekt the opinyunz uv kreg

i had tu sey that

Jennifer Samountry March 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

I just wanted to let you know I stopped by your blog and enjoyed the comments almost as much as the posts.

Craig March 26, 2011 at 9:26 am

It’s funny, I was thinking the same thing – I was really stretched by everyone this day – I have incredibly wise people who read me. Thank you so much for being here. I really was blessed by your words. God be with you. and thank you.