Love admits “I don’t know”, and asks for stuff (love prays pt. 8)

by Craig on March 28, 2011

“Give us this day our daily bread.”

This is what I call the “gimme gimme, help me help me” part, of the Lord’s Prayer.

This is the part of prayer officially called “supplication” and “petition”.

In case you’re just jumping in – we’re in the middle of a series digging into prayer – which began here.

And it is a part of prayer. But in the pattern of the prayer that our Lord left us it’s about 1/9th of it – or 1/10th – or maybe even 1/11th of it, depending upon how we slice up the sections.

Which brings us to the slicing up.

I mean, does “who art in heaven” go with “hallowed be thy name” or is it separate. It could go either way. No?

Technically one phrase speaks of his home address and the other speaks direct praise.

But they’re both praise.

So I put them together. Kind of like a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup.

I do the opposite for “thy kingdom come, thy will be done.”

They could be combined too.

Because the kingdom is where God’s will is done perfectly.

And some people, far more learned than myself, do put them together.

And they rhyme!

But I think they’re enough “different” that I keep them separate, like my veggies on a dinner plate. I don’t much care for the peas running into the mashed potatoes.

And up ahead we have “forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.” Should they go together? And should we spend time discussing whether it’s “trespasses, or debts, or sins” that should be forgiven? Because technically they are all a smidge different.

And what about adding “for thine is the kingdom power and glory”? Protestants, in general, add it in. Catholics don’t. We could argue that for, I don’t know, say…

600 years…

give or take a few.

There was a time when,

back in the day,

before God smushed me into submission,

that I’d think once I discovered something Scriptural,

it was set in stone.

My pride led me to speak as if my opinion were from Sinai.

If you want one of the many reasons I think I required such harsh discipline in my Christian life (#1 on my 100’s list) – this was one of them – and a pretty good one at that.

But all this “which part goes where, and with which part” discussion – it’s open. When we get to heaven we can ask the Source.

And I think that debating it goes under the category of debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I used to heart these debates.

I’ve grown up a little bit.

It’s nice to talk about, but not get stressed over, and not get divided about.

But even that’s just my opinion.

My whole idea of prayer tweeting, combined with the pattern of the Lord’s Prayer, combined with him first, others second, me third? It’s not spoken from Sinai.

That being said – I really heart the idea.

And is it the way Good wants us to pray?

Love sometimes says “I don’t know”.

The one with all the answers?

That would be God.

And with that behind us I move to the next part of the Lord’s Prayer.

Today, I begin my lengthy discussion on “give us this day Our Daily Bread”.

Here we go.

I leave that part out altogether.

There’s enough “gimme gimme, help me help me” in just my prayer tweets.

There. Done. Easy.

I think that’s as short a theological point as I’ve ever written.

Tomorrow – sin and forgiveness thereof.

Please come back.

In God’s love.

Miz Liz March 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh my, Craig. Being smushed into submission .. I know the road well. I, too, struggle with the petition part and you handle our hearts well on this. This morning, weighed down under the load, I knew my “wants,” that’s easy. Not knowing my real needs to follow His lead, I just cried out for daily bread. I’m grateful the Holy Spirit sent me here.
And, thank you for reminding us that we DO know God’s “home address.” 😀 Be blessed on this cloudy Monday. Liz

Craig March 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Oh it’s not cloudy here Liz, the sun is shining and finishing the melting of the 4 inches of snow that fell two days ago, two days after it was in the 70’s – oh and the day before we’re expecting 5 inches more tomorrow. :)

And prayer – it really is SO bending our will to his – and not vice versa.

And a good point you made too – the difference between our “wants” and “needs” – sometimes I mistake one for the other. Thank you Liz, for reading, and leaving a comment that made me smile – and one that stretched me. God Bless you.

Eryn {mamahall} March 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

i love your thought-train. i get it. when we get to heaven we can ask the Source…i like to think when we get to heaven we’ll instantly understand. and now i have that prayer stuck in my head :)

Craig March 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I had a train of thought? Who knew? That needs to be fixed! (◠‿◠) God Bless you Eryn.

Debbie March 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for this I don’t know love. Lots of things I don’t know. But we can know love, His love. :) God bless you as you lead us on in prayer!

Craig March 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

“knowing everything” is #6 on my 100 list. Everything is a lot to know. One day. One day…

God Bless Deb.

A. March 28, 2011 at 11:37 pm

“Love sometimes says, ‘I don’t know.'” That can be hard to do…and for some reason that is the phrase out of your writing that jumped out at me today. Thank you for that, Craig. Sometimes I feel like I am supposed to have all the answers….and I don’t.

Craig March 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm

See above (◠‿◠)╯

God Bless you A.

Michelle March 29, 2011 at 2:20 am

Love sometimes says “I don’t know”.

I used to think we had to have all the answers. Until the day I read the children’s book “A Taste of Blackberries” which tells the story of a boy and the death of his friend through bee-stings. The boy goes into the garden of the lady next door, whom he chats with about life and adventures and stuff. Anyway, I think he asks her why his friend had to die. Her answer has stayed with me. “Sometimes questions don’t have answers.”

We don’t know it all, and don’t *need* to know it all (Deut 29:29 29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.), but we are called to LOVE. =D That is so freeing.

A. March 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Michelle, I have not read Deut. 29-29 in a long time. Thank you for posting that-it is a starkly beautiful and reassuring statement or verse in light of this context. I am not familiar with that story, (Taste of Blackberries), but now I am curious.

Craig March 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

that’s a ton of wisdom Michelle. thank you for that. The exact “why” is hard to pin down here and now – the “why” of stupid stuff happening to people who deserve better? That one I rely on the answer “the world is broken” it’s not as designed. One day…

God Bless You Michelle – you add so much by being here. thank you.

Jennifer April 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm

“My pride led me to speak as if my opinion were from Sinai.” It took me a long time to learn that lesson, still working on taming my tongue (and in blogging, my words.)

Craig April 3, 2011 at 8:52 am

It’s a good lesson to learn. It’s always best to learn these lessons ourselves before God steps in to correct us. His methods are not designed for comfort sometimes. After having had more than enough of God’s discipline I’m aiming to be a DIY (with the help of the Spirit) fixer upper. Thank you for reading Jennifer – and God Bless.