Love is the Lamb of God

unrivaled
unsurpassed

Sent to be common,
ordinary,
misunderstood

Lamb of God

He walked the landscapes of pain,
anguish,

always seeking
always falling
always running

nobody’s lamb

wandering distant
called by name

a lamb hears and follows

Light in darkness
Commander of nature
Good Shepherd of lost lambs

Beloved Lamb of God
Cherished Lamb of Grace
Precious Lamb of Mercy
You’ve brought me to this place

place of pain

once nobody’s lamb
now

a lamb

of

God.

In God’s Love

I’m linking with Ann Voskamp today.

and also because it’s a poem – with another writer who writes words that sing…Emily Wierenga

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home March 30, 2011 at 8:16 am

I like this poem. A beautiful word picture of His love for us.

Craig March 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thank you Sharon – I kinda like it – another week of chipping pieces off and adding them on maybe – but for one day of work I’ll take it (and I mean one whole day). Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr poems will be the death of me – THE DEATH OF ME (◠‿◠). But thank you – and God Bless.

Dawn March 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Dear Craig,

I so wanted to link to your site yesterday, but adding links to my blog are like I sense poems are for you…simply draining. I did mention your fantastic post of yesterday in the narrative of my blog today, though, because I could not just let it go. It was so good. I also told my Trekkie son to check it out. I hope he does.

I am not a writer, so poetry escapes me. I don’t see how a poem is a poem without the words rhyming, but I do like what you have done here, especially the 8 simple words in 2 simple phrases:

The Kingdom without end
begins with your end

This is the “good” in Good Friday. I will remember!

PS I loved the pictures, too. That little sheep drew me right in.

Craig March 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Now I have to go read that you know :)

And links schminks – even if you never do it I’m just happy to know you – and read you – and have you read me – and I almost said I’m happy as a…

God Bless you Dawn

Lisa notes... March 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

“Sent to be misunderstood…”
The pictures of the lambs…
The beautiful words.

This is a work of art, Craig. Thank you for the blessing.

Craig March 30, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Lisa – that is a really nice thing to say – I do so struggle with these poems – to get your approval – that means a lot. Thank you. God bless.

Joybird March 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm

“an offering of affection
made an object of blame”

There is something about this phrase that strikes me. The way I can twist God’s affectionate offerings into objects of blame. His gifts to me (like unemployment) do not always come in packages I easily recognize.

And that third lamb picture is adorable.

Craig March 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Unemployment may not be a “gift” but I’m a frim believer that Our Lord has his hands on us lambs – and if we yield to his work through even the bad – we’ll grow – we’ll get the best possible outcome for us. Still it has to be hard – and hope you don’t mind that I just prayed for you. Thank you for the chance.

And that lamb – seriously!!!! amen – adorable -Thank you so much – and God bless you.

Rachel March 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Wonderful expression of the Lamb of God in words, thanks for sharing and the lamb pictures were a great addition as well. Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments you left on my blog. Have a blessed week.

Craig March 30, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Lamb pictures – it’s like baby pictures – can’t ever go wrong with lamb pictures – I may even start putting them in non “lamb” posts :) Thank you for being here Rachel – I heart reading your words. God Bless.

Cora March 30, 2011 at 5:38 pm

A lamb I was caught in thickets. . . . I don’t know why, but I found myself identifying with this lamb. Maybe because it took me so long to get OUT of my thickets — or should I say, to allow HIM to reach in and pull me out. This is just so beautiful, Craig. It stirs up so much within me, and that’s what a poem is supposed to do. For someone who says he is not a poet, I think this one tops just about all I’ve read! Thank you for this tonight. I feel I’ve been drawn so much closer to the Shepherd’s heart for having been here!

Craig March 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Lambs do that – and love kitties too – except love kitties have thorns – lambs – and we – get all nervous and when He tries to pull us out – well – you know. And Cora – thank you for your kind words about the poem – it’s just that prose – it slips right out and then it’s just a matter of editing until it’s just right – with poems it’s just. so . hard. You’re too kind. Thank you. God bless you.

brian March 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

and thus why we can relate to a savior that has been where we have…nice write…

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

That is just one more benefit of Our Lord walking this planet as one of us – God is suddenly so much more relatable. Thank you for that Brian. God bless

misty March 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

“an offering of affection/made an object of blame” … the pure theology in this stuns me. he was love handed down with skin on but made to wear all of our sin-fallenness. wow. slaughter is so far removed from most of us westeners (even more so for those of us favoring a vegetarian lifestyle *ahem*) and to think of such a sweet, innocent lamb being used for OT sacrifice but then to take the Only Lamb that ever mattered who took on the ugly of the world.
insane.
and this was a lovely poem… don’t struggle so. :)

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

Misty, thank you so much. The pure theology in THIS stuns ME – “he was love handed down with skin on, but made to wear all of our sin-fallen-ness.” Thank you – I learn so much from reading the stuff in my comments. But seriously – poems take so much out of me that I’m thinking of giving them up for next Lent :) God bless you – and thank you.

Craig March 31, 2011 at 10:17 am

also Misty – I tried to click on your name to go to your site and it didn’t work – can you shoot me another comment with the link so I can read you :)

misty March 31, 2011 at 11:18 am

oops, craig. i’m a fast (er, lazy) typist and i tend to invert a few letters, which in this case i did! corrected link!

Abby March 30, 2011 at 10:19 pm

You did wonderfully with this poem…I hope it didn’t torture you ala what you said yesterday…it is really beautiful–I love the lamb image and all He is and does to rescue…keep writing poetry!!

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:44 am

Abby – it tortured me for 6 long hours it did – it tortured me so much I ranted abut it today on Deep into Scripture http://deepintoscripture.com/2011/03/31/in-which-i-rant-and-also-study-scripture/ (⌣˛⌣) . Poetry. Hates Me. But thank you for the nice words – they make me not NOT heart poetry so much. God bless you – hope the allergies are getting better – I prayed (◠‿◠).

Miz Liz March 30, 2011 at 11:19 pm

“Light in darkness….Good Shepherd to lost lambs….”
oh my! and you say you don’t “do” poetry. This is beautiful and powerful.
I am deeply blessed and will take this all the way to Good Friday. A whole new concept for a tired, lamb that continues to get lost. Thank you, Craig, for letting your heart show.
Liz

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:45 am

Liz – words like yours make all the ways the poetry tortures me worthwhile. Thank you so much. It means so much to me. God bless you.

Michelle March 31, 2011 at 1:11 am

So much truth, so simply put. Even if it was a whole day’s effort 😉

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thank you Michelle, just really wish poems would heart me more (◠_◠) grrr. God bless.

Nicol March 31, 2011 at 6:57 am

I LOVE the pictures that you added- I never really got how vulnerable a lamb was until I saw those pictures! We are in so need of a shepherd.

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:50 am

And lambs – as cute as they are – they don’t have very big brains. That’s why they need a shepherd, they get in trouble, wander off, forget where to go, trip, fall into ditches. They (read we) really. need. a Good Shepherd. You are so right. Thank you for reading today. God Bless.

Christina March 31, 2011 at 9:13 am

I heart your poem! Praise God for the Lamb who was slain! Maybe we should start a poet’s community where we can encourage one another in our poem’s:)
As always, thanks for sharing your labor of love.

Craig March 31, 2011 at 9:53 am

NO – NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no poets community – I can’t write poems – POEMS HATE ME!!!!! Write a poem – let me know – I’ll read it and heart it – and I’ll encourage you to pieces – but writing poems does violence to my brain. Thank you Christina – God bless and keep you.

Kris March 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

beautiful! Such a powerful and heartfelt poem. Thank you! So glad I stopped by here!

Craig March 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thank you Kris. The Lamb of God saving lambs of God it’s beautiful inspiration. Thank you for the kind words – Grace and peace.

A. March 31, 2011 at 11:45 am

I, too, love this poem! The pictures, too-that’s who we are, isn’t it? Those lambs in the pictures…and He came for us. He was a lamb, too. We, the wayward lambs…He, the sacrificial saving lamb. This is so very, very good. I am glad you take up this poem-writing cross for us, every once in a while. We are so blessed when you do, Craig.

Craig March 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I know!!! Those lamb pictures – I”m using lamb pictures in every post from now on!! ƪ(◠‿◠)╯Thank you A. Just because Poems aren’t nice to me doesn’t mean I should ignore them. I should be above their trite behavior. I’ll work on that. God bless – and thank you A.

alittlebitograce March 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

There’s so much here, but my absolute favourite(other than the adorable lamb pictures) is the ending. I was once a lost lamb, but now I am found, rescued and beloved.

Craig March 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

That settles it – lamb pictures in every post from now on. Nobody can resist a little lamb. (◠‿◠) – and amen I was lost before, then found then constantly circling into trouble, and finally trained. We are lambs. God bless you – and thank you for reading.

Patti March 31, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Your poem touches my heart. Sweet lamb of God who bore our shame. Thank you, thank you, sweet lamb of God!

Craig March 31, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Thank you Patti – poems are one thing – but poems about the poetic nature of God – that’s where inspiration is – that’s what touches hearts. I thank the sweet Lamb of God. Grace and peace Patti – and thank you.

Debra March 31, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Craig, the poem speaks straight to the heart, and says it all.

Craig April 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

I think it’s the lambs – the lambs make everyone go awwwwww. (◠‿◠)

Thank you as always Debra for your kind words – God Bless you – thank you.

imperfect prose April 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The Kingdom without end
begins with your end

this whole poem, so, so powerful… it ushers in his holiness. but these two lines in particular floored me. that he, a man of sorrows, would die for us… thank you for this, friend.

Craig April 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

Thank you Emily. From a wordsmith like yourself – well I’m humbled. Thank you and God Bless.

Debbie April 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

This was so good Craig. Thank you for working so hard on it so we can be blessed and He can be praised. :) I loved “Lamb of Love” . . .not sure I’ve seen that before. Very beautiful! God bless you and the words He brings!

Craig April 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

Deb – I think you may not have seen “Lamb of Love” because I made it up (◠‿◠). Thank you Deb – I always need a poet’s thumbs up for my poems. God bless.

Bethany Ann April 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

two of my boys — four and five years old — fixed their eyes on the communion trays this morning and asked and asked. i answered and answered, and when they told me they wanted to remember, too, i let them. we took communion together, for the first time, as we remembered all those chronological sunday school lessons. and this poem really says it.

Celia April 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

that’s so PRECIOUS and wonderful!!!!

bluecottonmemory April 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Your lamb pictures show perfect vunerlability, our need for Christ’s sacrifice, to be the perfect sacrifice so that God can protect us, claim us. Beautiful, heart-wrenching!

Craig April 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm

As I was writing this I never really stopped to consider the vulnerability of the lamb. I thought of how they mess up and how they need a shepherd – and I thought of Him as the perfect Shepherd – and how The Lamb of God saved and saves the lambs of God. But thank you for making me see how vulnerable the lambs of God are – I look again at the pictures and I see it too now – they are vulnerable in the face of a hostile universe, they need someone to draw them close and protect them – and as sophisticated as we think we are – we ARE them. Thank you – God Bless.

Melissa April 11, 2011 at 10:23 am

Beautiful! A treasure for sure. I often think of myself as a lamb, lost and found, tucked warm inside Jesus’ robe, resting peaceful against His heart. That’s where I long to stay. Lately, I have been learning to pick up my own cross and follow the Lamb, experiencing what it means to lay my life down to find it. The more I do, the more I sense his Presence in a real way. For a long time I fought the idea of being sent out as a lamb among wolves. But now that I see this how it is supposed to be, and that when the world takes a bite out of us, they taste our Lord, I look forward to more adventures with Him. But it’s good to come back to places like yours where we can love and care for each other, equip each other to go back out into the world. It’s been a blessing to sip sweet water here today. Thank you, friend. :)

Craig April 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

Everything you wrote – it’s like reading one of your posts – I don’t know which nugget to grab hold of. I am so grateful you read this – God bless you Melissa.