Love gets found

by Craig on April 19, 2011

Laska the love kitty was lost.

This is part two – part one is right below in yesterday’s post (or here)

I immediately began calling his name. Funny how we respond to our name being called. No?

He’s a year old now, the love kitty. He’s heard his name again and again.

Laska

It’s Czech for love.

His name is Love.

I had lost Love.

I walked around the new place, in the dark of near midnight. There was a misty rain and a harsh cold wind – and mud.

His name again and again. “Laska, where are you?”

As if he would answer in English.

But I wasn’t looking for that – just his voice. I’d know his voice.

He’s like me, this cat. He’s vocal – not one of those silent ones that never meows. He likes to talk a little.

He’s adventurous, while at the same time being afraid of his own shadow.

The adventure drew him out of the vehicle and off into the bushes and trees.

I know this side.

I like exploring.

I like beginning.

I like the new.

But then the other side kicks in and you wonder.

What did I do?

How did I get here?

How do I get down?

So there I was, a grown man at night, and this is hard for a man to admit – especially here on the internets where once it’s out there – it’s out there – but a grown man fighting back hot guilty tears – and calling repeatedly, “Laska”.

Not too loud.
He’s not used to yelling.
I’ve never yelled at him.

It’s funny too, how we not only respond to our name. But we get used to a certain tone. I know about yelling, I grew up with yelling. But Laska hasn’t ever heard it – so calling out too loudly – that he might not respond to.

And it’s nearly Easter, and I thought back to my first Easter poem this month:

A lamb I was
caught in thickets
submerged in floods
always lost
a lamb alone

always seeking
always falling
always running
nobody’s lamb
wandering distant
called by name
a lamb hears and follows

the full poem is here – if you haven’t read it I promise you you’ll heart it.

And this came to mind too:
“My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
John 10:27

And so I kept calling his name to the nothingness. Walking and calling.

Until after one call I heard a distant meow. A sheep knows the voice. But so does the Master.

So I called again but listened intently this time.

And then a meow came from behind me
not so distant

I walked toward his meow and called his name again.

“Laska?”

and a single meow…

closer this time…

“Laska?”

and no meow, so I turned around and took a few steps

“Laska?”

and a meow very close by

Turning, I saw the eyes glowing in the night. And like the Father to the prodigal son, ran and held him. A pearl, a precious coin, a lamb, once lost – now found.

But not feeling quite so adventurous anymore.

Laska means Love.

I know the voice of Love.

And Love knows mine.

Liz Hoyt Eberle April 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

Perfect Easter message for aren’t all of us lost from time to time… from our own curiosity and want of adventure? I’m glad you got through your move, I’m glad Laska is found, I’m THANKFUL you have reminded me that my Master hears my meow when I’m frightened and think I’m lost and alone. Thank you, Craig for keeping us faithful. Easter blessings to you and Laska.
P.S. Thank your brother the firefighter for his service to his community. Our family has 5 firefighters and it takes a lot of prayer to cover them.
Liz

Craig April 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Amen – yes we are -“all lost from time to time”. And he does hear our meows – thank you for that. I think I got caught up in my end of the lost Laska story – and forgot his. He was unsure, and frightened and on edge, and looking for me too – just like I’m unsure, frightened and one edge – and I look for the Father. Thank you for reminding me this is a story about us – you – and me – and all of us. I’ll let the firefighter know – God bless you Liz.

Cora April 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

You got me! I’m so glad Laska is safe!!!! And I know how you felt out there calling and calling —- I had to do it. In this high pitched, crazy voice that he loved, I had to walk all over the neighborhood calling, “Peepers, Peepers!!!!” But love conquers all — even embarassment and looking like an idiot! And they seem to wait until you are at the lowest — the “let’s see how much you REALLY love me” stage.

I’ve been lost. REALLY lost. And I wouldn’t answer until I knew it was safe, even though I knew the voice calling me. Strange —- now that I think of it — to know there is such safety in the One calling my name, yet feeling vulnerable and still hiding away. Love never gives up, does it! That’s what is so great about your story. Love cries, love will be made a fool of, love gets rained on, love shivers, but love never gives up!!! Thank God!

Craig April 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm

You wrote “And they seem to wait until you are at the lowest – the “let’s see how much you REALLY love me” stage.” Hmmmm. You think they find us first – then add a little drama – to see just how much we love them. Cats!!!!! No, they wouldn’t do that – would they? Do we? Or – as you put it “feeling vulnerable and still hiding away.” We DO do that. I can see how Laska would – and us too. Wow I heart your comment – and Liz’s above – so insightful!!! Umm – and your comment – no, it didn’t make my eyes water – not one bit – nope – not one bit!! Right on target – not really a coment – but a P.S. to the post. God Bless you Cora. Thank you.

Dawn April 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Dear Craig,

Oh, so perfect!

I especially liked the part

“And then a meow came from behind me
not so distant but far enough away that if I stopped calling he could lose my voice and go the other way.”

I know this kind of “calling.” My one dog is blind. Sometimes when we go on our morning run he gets confused on his direction and if I simply say his name he comes happily to me and even runs past me, ears afloppin’…sure of himself again.

I needed this reminder of how my Master loves me,

Craig April 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Like I said to Cora – I forgot what being lost must have been like for Laska – I was all focused on me – at least in the writing. In real life I was wrecked with guilt – knowing he was my responsibility to keep safe. I think you and I both needed the reminder of how the Mater loves us. God Bless you Dawn.

Debbie April 20, 2011 at 1:01 am

I love that Laska means Love and that Love calls us and we know Love’s voice. :) I don’t like being lost like Laska . . .the fun and adventure turns cold and scary real quick once we’re away from Him. Thank you for sharing this lovely story with us. I like happy endings! We have one with Jesus!

Craig April 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm

“the fun and adventure turns cold and scary real quick” Deb – this is brilliant – I want to have written this – HEART THIS – it’s so true. It was true for Laska, and me – and probably even once or twice in your lifetime – you. God bless you Deb. BTW – I wrote another Easter Poem. I heart it lots – and it didn’t kill me :)

Michelle April 20, 2011 at 4:39 am

I’m so glad you found him. And you’ve gotten unpacked. And that you have family that (mostly) are available, and come. And that you have grace enough to thank your brother for what he has done, without putting guilt on him (because you wouldn’t want to do that). And that you are both now in your new home, ready to explore it – together, Laska, together.

Craig April 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Well I’m unpacked – but it’s just like the new -place is one big box for all the little boxes – nothing is anywhere yet. As far as family – one out of four ain’t bad right?

Laska already explored the pantry – I woke to find tea bags shredded and stuffed out of the bottom of the pantry door – which made me open the door – only to find him on the top shelf. He keeps exploring – and keeps ending up in the wrong places. God Bless you Michelle.

Mari April 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Ahhh Laska! So glad there was a happy ending!

Craig April 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Oh my – you and me both – the guilt I would have felt – he was in a new place – one teeming with cars – and he doesn’t know much about cars. I am so glad I have a cat that “talks” – and talks back when talked to. He’s hasn’t posted for a while – I think one is coming soon. I’ve seen him mulling about the laptop :) God Bless you Mari. and thank you.

A. April 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

Sometimes I get scared, too, when I encounter ‘new’ territory. I can relate to Laska’s running away. But I am soooooo glad Laska is found, now! Hugs to that aminal.