Love considers the moon

by Craig on April 29, 2011

source

I look up and notice that it’s near pitch black outside, dawn hasn’t even begun to break.

But the moon has risen – a sliver of a crescent in the east.

The moon seems to be staring directly at the spot the sun will rise.

I know you’re out there. I know you’re struggling. Like the gravity of the moon pulls at the ocean tides I can feel it.

You may feel discouraged. You may be in a place that’s not so good, and worry that when the cloud lifts, things might get worse. You might be having trouble taking in the joys of the moment. Maybe worry about things that are not yet, is stealing joy from the “now”.

Oh moon…

Sure that Sun will arrive, and you will have to deal with the big bright ball. But if you worry about what’s to come, you won’t enjoy this present moment where you are the only thing in the morning sky.

I’m using the word “you” more today than I normally do.

That’s because I sense that you deserve attention.

I’m not being preachy and know-it-all-ish. I share the same struggles.

So you…

Are you that moon today?

Are you worrying about that impending sunrise?

Are you worried that you’ll disappear? That no one will see you, or know of your pain, or care if you’ve disappeared? After all there’s a whole sky full of stars that are there every day and nobody sees them because of the light.

Are you that moon today? Staring hard into the future, the one that’s not yet even on the horizon, and allowing the present moment slip by?

Oh Moon…

The dawn will break. That future will become present. But then what? Just orbit? Just dread the time that the sun will go down and all the brightness will disappear into night again?

The birds don’t seem to mind the impending sun. Birds flee from destruction. The birds are staying put. That must mean something.

Oh Moon…

You will have an even more glorious position in the sky an hour from now. You’ll be hanging in the daytime blue. The future is arriving, the dawn is breaking, and you are about to have a rare moment.

And do you know this – or are you too busy staring?

And you, my friend, you reading this – please know that the One who spins this whole drama into order put that moon there for you. And the Sun? It’s there for you – and the birds – and the universe. It’s all. there. for. you.

And if you want what He wants above what you want, then nothing – absolutely nothing can challenge your position in the universe, on this planet, in your family, in your marriage, in your world.

There is a whole cosmic order with no choice, but then there is you. Don’t fear the night. He’s there. Don’t fear invisibility. Because you are always the apple of His eye.

“Now” is what exists, the ability to control how quickly the “now” moves – well – we are the only beings in all of creation who possess this magic.

I’ll be praying today for you – and since this is Friday – that means – all weekend long.

I heart praying for you. So please know, and feel, that you are being prayed for – and angels are dispatched.

I’ll be praying that you’ll keep an eye on the future, but not fear it. Our Lord holds that future.

I’ll be praying that you’ll have the strength to do what needs doing today.

I’ll pray for you to be able dominate time, to find something good to focus on in the bad so you can speed through it, and choose to slow, and breathe deeply of the good moments.

I’ll be praying that Our Lord will help you choose to feel Him today, more than your fears. A prayer for Him to let you know that you aren’t alone in your invisibility, that you are seen by eyes that see everything – and loved – and that you are the very center of his vast universe.

In God’s love

Michelle April 29, 2011 at 7:24 am

Craig April 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I do heart hearts – you know I do – thank you – I heart that! God Bless you Michelle.

Dawn April 29, 2011 at 8:25 am

Craig,

This is masterfully written. Thank you. I love the emphasis on “now,” at least that is what I took from it from my perspective. I left off yesterday dealing with taking care of people in the now with you (ala Bill Bright) and this is where I am picking up today (before the sun comes up, your time). Do not miss the “nows” worrying about the “this might happens” or “this might have beens.”

Thinking Navajo today where everything is progressive present,
Hugs to you, My Friend,

Craig April 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I remember you mentioning the Navajo thing before Dawn. It’s such a good concept. We can;t get any other place until we are “here” “now” – I think we both know it – not to live it. No? Hugs back – God Bless.

Cora April 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

I wrote this long comment, and hit the submit button, and it went “poof.” It just wasn’t meant to be. So I walked away for a while, continuing to think on it all, and here I am, back again. “trouble taking joys in the moment?”. . . that’s pretty obvious since my list of gratitudes this week seems almost nil. Will I even have anything worth posting on Monday morning?! And I am struggling. I was given a beautiful, second chance at life, and I don’t know what to do with it. I ask God for usefulness, significance, a place to “shine.” Then, when I’m given something, a chance, a bag of cheeseburgers, I don’t take it.

I live in the country. Skies are black at night and the moon and stars are always there doing their thing whether I bother to look or not. As many as there are up there, there still isn’t enough light to guide my feet, or to read by, or to drive down my little dirt road. As beautiful as they are, as faithful as they are, they really don’t serve much purpose to me or help me in any way. I need the light that comes with the dawn.

Your post made me think of Christ’s words, “I am the Light of the world. He that believeth in me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” It struck me today in a rush of rambled thoughts: I’m so busy worrying about the brightness of my own light — my significance and what people think of my strengths and how far I shine, etc., etc. It all boils down to — it has nothing to do with ME, but rather with WHO is shining THROUGH me. Just as the moon has no light in and of itself, neither do I.

I went back and reread your yesterday’s post and the wonderful comments that were left after mine. They all meant so much to me. Add today’s post to it all, and it all boiled down to one thing for me: It’s not what I do, it’s not a cheeseburger, it’s Who they see. It’s all that matters. Me — with a Light shining through me in a dark world.

We know stuff for a long time. Then stuff gets tested and tried in the fire. Then we find out we really didn’t know the stuff at all. I don’t think stars and moons and cheeseburgers will ever look the same to me again!

Craig April 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

AMen Cora – what you said about supplying your own light – that’s exactly what the verses said that I included after my fire and ashes poem on the twin blog the other day,

All of you kindle flames
and carry about you fiery darts;
Walk by the light of your own fire
and by the flares you have burnt
This is your fate from my hand:
you shall lie down in a place of pain. (IS 50:11)

If we try all on our own power – whether we’re Sampson – or just you and me – we’ll end up running out of steam – eternal steam – eternal fire is much better. I heart your wisdom Cora – and your search for more. God bless you.

Michelle May 2, 2011 at 4:52 am

“It struck me today in a rush of rambled thoughts: I’m so busy worrying about the brightness of my own light — my significance and what people think of my strengths and how far I shine, etc., etc. It all boils down to — it has nothing to do with ME, but rather with WHO is shining THROUGH me. Just as the moon has no light in and of itself, neither do I.”

AMEN! As I prayed today at work “it’s not my reputation at stake here God, it’s Yours.” It doesn’t matter what people think about me or what I have done. It’s what they see of Jesus through me.

Craig May 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

just so true Michelle – i can’t say it any better – so I won’t. I heart your wisdom. really do. God Bless.

Brooke April 29, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thank you. Beautifully said.

Craig April 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

And it was all because I looked up and saw the moonrise – before the sunrise – God’s timing – I just got out of the way after that and let him teach me through his universe. More of him – less of me. Thank you Brook – thank you – and God Bless.

A. April 29, 2011 at 11:15 pm

father of lights….that I need His light, not mine. thank you for this moonshine story craig. it helps me remember to keep Him in my sights. Seek first the kingdom of God, and the other things will be taken care of one way or the other.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to know what we would each take in our spiritual survival kit if we had to assemble one? Which verses? Which tidbits of wisdom? Which stories? Which images?

Thank you, Craig.

Craig April 30, 2011 at 6:24 am

We’re lucky we don’t have to do that – and himmmmm – maybe a future post…

Off the top of my head – just for fun – one of each…
verse – can’t spread the Gospel without John 3:16 I guess
wisdom – “Remember in the dark what God’s shown you in the light”
Story – The Story of the Fall – matches up nicely with John 3:16
Image – The Cross – easy

Hmmmm. Good stuff A. God Bless. I think this is inspiration – but which blog?? And why would it fit? Help a brother out…:)

A. April 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Hmmm….if I were in a prison, which things would be in my spiritual survival kit-things I had memorized or could picture-not so much actual objects. Which blog…it could probably be either…the Scripture blog….with the verse about whatsoever things are true, good, etc., think on these things, and survival kit is the things that stand out most, the top ten so to speak (or top one in each category, etc.). It is the things that are simple enough to recall throughout the day as the banner thoughtsthe cream of the crop, the most important or summary things, I guess.

Could it fit on the love blog? Perhaps in a pearl of great price kind of way…which things stand out among the many that our Beloved, Christ, taught us, showed us, did for us, etc. Which things would we put in our mental heart locket? I think I like this idea better. And maybe it is getting away from survival kit and becoming more heart. maybe survival kit goes with scripture and mental heart locket goes with love…

Craig May 1, 2011 at 5:56 am

hmmm – so we’d need more than your original 4 – more thinking then grrrrrrr – I do NOT heart thinking!!!! L( I like the heart locket thing for here – maybe a top 7 of fave verses – or even a top 3 — and over here on Love – a heart locket. Hmmmmmm. WHat’s it called A? A pendant? I’d need it for the title, Love has a ….

God bless :)

Craig May 1, 2011 at 5:58 am

and I think I’d go – not with a deserted island thing – but more of a “Lost” island – hearted that show (except for the goofy last episode – grrrrrr) so on that Island – not prison.

Miz Liz April 29, 2011 at 11:55 pm

My new habit is to come here – before sleep – at Craig’s place – to find healing in his human words, to visit with new friends, and to rest in Love’s love.
EACH of those stars I can sometimes see on dark nights from my country hill were named by my Father.
Thank you, Craig, for tonight’s words.
Sleep will come easily.

Craig April 30, 2011 at 6:28 am

Thank you Liz. Any light I’ve had, given by Our Father – there was good reason he chose to keep it under a basket. I had to be made usable, I needed to be more humble, less rebellious, less of a solitary Christian, so many mores and lesses – and though he’s clearly not done – I think the big work is – I am who I should have been long ago. There was a time I’d say “my light” now I know I’m just like the moon – just reflected light – there was even a time I’d say I was his reflected light – to look humble – now, no more masks. God Bless you Liz.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home April 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

needed this today. need the prayers too.

Craig April 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

Sharon the prayers are ongoing – praying exactly what I said at the end of the post. Prayers are directed now directly at you too. The interwebs reaches far – but prayers go farther and faster. God bless you Sharon!!

Debbie April 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I’m just getting here and want you to know that your prayers are being answered already. :) Isn’t He good? This has been a more intense week with Him. And that is good. I want to hear from Him, want to know what I’m suppose to do. But, I was a little fearful about it all. And battles were waging in it all. Today a book came that I forgot I’d asked for. . .Prayer/ The Real Battle by Brother Andrew and Al Janssen, published by Open Doors. :) How’s that for timing? The fear and sadness at what He’s asking of me is leaving. Thank you so much for praying!
God bless you and your precious ministry!

Craig May 1, 2011 at 5:44 am

Deb, thank you – I really heart praying – all day yesterday – well not all day – you know – pretty much my top of every hour thing. And I heart it. SO thank you for this – prayer is a good thing – prayer to him, about him, paramount, prayer about others – he hearts that – then prayer about me. But as I’ve written – who has time for that when we do the other two first :) God Bless you Deb.

Debra May 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Today I was pondering these things. Wondering why I find it so much easier to bask in God’s presence early in the day when I can look out the window and see the brightness surrounding me. I even spoke with Him about it earlier – before I came here and read this – and told Him that the eucalyptus greets me when I rise, but at night only darkness, and that’s why I don’t see Him as clearly, because I don’t see His glorious creation. But then you personify the moon here, the lesser light. And now I pray to seek Him with the same intensity in the dark night as I do when the sun is shining bright. For as Tagore once said, “Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark.”

Craig May 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm

And you see, with me it’s always been been those lesser lights that drew me in – and made me see how vast it all was – so far beyond comprehension. Our Lord meets us in different ways. NO? And you are so right about those birds – they don’t wait for the dawn – they sing before it comes – thank you for that – that is kind of the definition of faith. Amen. God Bless you Debra.