Love says thank you 1,000 times (#’s 261-281)

by Craig on May 9, 2011

I really heart taking notice of the moments of thankfulness in a day, a week – the habit of gratitude for which Ann Voskamp is responsible. And so today I am linking with her for…

#261 … for things that bring “happy”, the kind that wells up from inside and bubbles over in a smile.

#262 …that there was a time in my life when I had only and exactly one source of “happy” – just one – and that one may have saved my life.

#263 … for all the thank you lists, lined up one after another, that I get to read. I gobble them up, and it’s not something I notice for a while – but eventually I do. There’s a smile on my face. There’s a “happy”, the whole time.

source

# 264 … for the hours a each week I get to devour recitations of gratitude – so many of which I could have written myself. We are all unique but as His children we share so many common bonds of the heart.

#265 … that a smile lives on my face for such extended periods of time – and – well – that that can’t be a bad thing.

#266 … that this year I’ve named “connect” has opened up so many opportunities to pray for others.

#267 … that I’ve witnessed how there is no limitation of time or space placed on prayer.

# 268 … that angels can be dispatched by prayer.

#269 … that they pray along with us as we pray.

#270 … that angels aren’t wimps. I heart angels.

#271 … that I’ve experienced “happy” in the praying – genuine “happy”.

source

#272 … for that totally unexpected feeling – because I’ve prayed for some with very difficult and painful circumstances. So the prayers are almost always not “happy” prayers. I’m not sure of the “why” behind the happy, just that it’s so. All I know for certain, is that the praying for others, so much praying for others, is bringing me lots of unexpected “happy”.

#273 … that this is all so important, life is a bit of struggle. Contentment from Our Lord I nearly always have. His peace, I have often, even though it’s a little more fleeting. But “happy” has always been an elusive lark for me. And I’m grateful it’s perching nearby more often.

#274 … for the way Laska the love kitty has claimed the bathtub as his personal water fountain – and sometime playground when there are ping pong balls involved.

#275 … for Laska the love kitty’s overly aggressive kitty litter scooping style. He clearly wants his “stuff” buried for good. So he shoots copious amounts of litter on top of it – and over it – and all over the place. I mean maybe a yard (for non USA readers a meter) away. It’s a mess that I have to clean – usually with him watching – but it elicits a smile.

#276 … for plastic sheeting that keeps the carpet safe.

#277 … and yes, for that air purifier that – well – you know.

#278 … for the way he sticks close to me on walks outside. He’s got an automatic boundary of about 30 feet (ten meters) – no leash required.

#279 … for how he comes back to me to touch base constantly during the walks. I’m safety for him. I can’t help but see the living metaphor of my relationship – our relationship, with Our Lord.

#280 … that he knows the way home (can’t avoid the spiritual metaphor in that one either)

#281 … that I still have the love kitty, after Hartz Pro Guard Flea drops nearly killed him this last week. (here) He made a miraculous recovery from the toxic goo. Yup! I. am. thankful. for that.

In God’s love

Cora May 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

So good to read your list today. I just LOVE that kitty! And yes, some kitties take the litter box way too seriously. I would almost rather get it out myself than clean up after all the digging and burying. #280 struck a tender spot for me. I can actually have an anxiety attack if I think too deeply about the “what if’s” of Buster getting out and lost. And in my own soul, I am so thankful that I always know the way Home. I’ve worn a path as I’ve travelled it so many times —- and I always find the doors open wide. Thank you for sharing today. It’s always sooooo great to be here!

Craig May 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thank you Cora – Laska would love you too – he’d be scared – but once he got to know you he’d warm up – and he’d make you love him even more. And getting lost – well we all know the love kitty’s done that – and so have I – so amen – it is good to know the way home. And not to worry – Buster would find you – laska informs me that, “dogz have better smellers than katz evun” – direct quote.

Cindy May 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

Loved your list…always so rich…and the Warrior Angel picture! Wow! Thanks for the link up to that! You might enjoy the link on my list…we found these folks at the bookfair last week and the entire family is captured by this rendition of the epic tale!

Craig May 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Cindy – “knights of the code” :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. thank you. And I heart that picture. Angels are no pushovers. God bless you Cindy.

Craig May 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

p.p.s. and “power covering strength” !!!!! Those are the words I was looking for when I wrote this. Where were you when I needed your editing skilz??

Cindy May 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

LOL!!!!

Cindy May 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

PS – We had a kitty with “power covering strength” too…a covered litter box helped some…just saying… smiles

Craig May 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

p.s. I thought of that – but this is a special strain-y kitty litter box – it’s like magic – plus I always feel like he’d be “all cooped up” with his – well you know – in there. Thank you though. Smiles back. ^.^

Kelly May 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

thank you for praying! as we begin a new journey as missionaries, we are very aware of the power of prayer and I am grateful for people like you who pray.

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m really hearting the praying part of this blogging gig Kelly. Heart it!! You’ll be blogging while missioning right? I look forward to praying for you. God bless you.

Shaunie Friday May 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

“#270 … that angels aren’t wimps. I heart angels.” I’m so with you on this one!! Beautiful “happy” list Craig!!

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I heart that angels are mighty creatures!! And thank you as always for your kind words Shaunie. It is a “happy” list – we need “happy. Happy + Godly = good. God bless you. and thanks.

Joan May 9, 2011 at 9:49 am

Craig – I always enjoy reading your gifts. So glad the kitty is better – he is a beautiful cat. A friend of mine almost killed her cat one time with those flea drops. Scary moment, but the cat survived.

Have a blessed day and upcoming week.

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Thank you Joan. Those are kind words. thank you! Oh – and still what to do about Hartz – they know this stuff hurts animals – it needs a big red warning on the front BIG and RED. Poor love kitty!! Again – thank you so much – and I hope you have a blessed day and week too!!

Kristin May 9, 2011 at 10:16 am

SO glad your kitty is doing well:)
I also have made many prayer partner friends throught the blogging world that pray for me and loved ones as well as I praying for them; I just love that!
And I also love reading other blessing lists, what a blessing! :)
Have a great day!

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Poor Laska – it was sad – he’s totally himself again – he has a flea collar now. Not a big fan – but he needs the protection for our walks. And you too with the prayer? Did you expect that? It caught me totally by surprise. And those lists – how can you read them and not get thank-y?? Kristin – God Bless you – and thank you, thank you.

Dawn May 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

I love that #274 – #281 are all about Laska. I thought I might be a little over the top with my love for my dog, Shelly. She’s saved me many times from despair. These could be a part of my list if you’d just exchange the names and delete all the litter box references. Ha!

I’m thankful for your happy heart,

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Our pets are – well who knows – but they are more than just animals that’s for sure. And they create smiles!!!! Little smile factories!!!! God Bless you and your little muttlies. :)

-t- May 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

love the happy :)

welling up inside & bubbling over, good stuff.
I wrote to a great aunt this past week, sharing memories of my great grandma saying, “I love you more than you know.” And how, now as an adult, I get it. Really get it… I am blessed to love many more than they know. It wells up & it overflows – just as He intended love to be :)overflowing :)

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

mmmmmm

I get it too. If you’re a mom – you get it a gazillion times over. And love – love that overflows – that’s God’s love. Amen t. – overflowing. Hope you have some happies today. God bless you – and thank you.

Erin @ Wild Whispers May 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This is a wonderful list! I am so glad Laska is ok. Wishing you a blessed week, Erin

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Erin – thank you. And the love kitty is all bouncy flouncy trouncy and pouncy again. I wish YOU a blessed week too!!

Christina May 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Loved your list as always! Pretty neat how focusing outside ourselves can bring happiness:)

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Amen Christina – that is a huge thing – “focusing outside ourselves can bring happiness:)” so true – whod ‘uv thunk? Thank you for reading Christina – thank you – and God Bless you and yours.

Grace Walker May 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm

OK, I had to laugh! I miss being a cat companion, but I do not miss the litter flying everywhere. My beloved Jem is one of those who is a vigorous coverer; but he’s also one that is so attached to his box, he’ll use it even when there isn’t any litter in it.
So glad your baby is doing well and close to your side, just like someone else we know. ; )

Craig May 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

And it really DOES fly – he’s just so intent Grace – and totally non efficient – EVERYWHERE!! The best thing is with the plastic down – I can hear every scoop – like rain on a tent top – Aaaaand – “vigorous coverer” I needed that term!!! HEART that term. And thank you for caring about Laska – God bless you and your Jem.

Joy @ Joy In This Journey May 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This made me grin – the vigorous burying and the huge plastic sheet and the loyal love kitty. Loved it all. :)

Craig May 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

He is loyal – and he’s been through a lot for just one year of life. And oh – you’re one more person with better word skills than me – “vigorous burying” – I needed that verbiage – you haz skilz Joy – SKILZ. Thank you – and you deserve grins – God bless you!!

Liz Hoyt Eberle May 9, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Again, I’m indebted, Craig. For 280 reasons I stopped my Thank You Father lists. Everywhere I’ve turned since yesterday “Give Thanks” is there–up front and personal and in my face. So, I got the message right here on your blog. I’ll spend lots of time praising my Holy Father, IN WRITING as Ann taught, for all His goodness. Give my love to Laska.

Craig May 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

Yay – right place at the right time – God is good that way. If we aren’t where we can see him clearly – sometimes he moves us. :) Gave the love kitty a hug – jury is still out on the flea collar – he seems not as playful – grrrrrr. God bless you Liz!!

Candra Georgi May 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm

yes! angles dispatched by prayer!

Craig May 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

I do it all the time in prayer – they are here to serve God – and us. They can go places we can’t ans see things unseen. Angels are awesome secret agents – with big power. Yay angels!!! Thank you for reading – thank you for cheering for angels, thank you Candra – and God Bless.

Debbie May 10, 2011 at 1:32 am

I love your lists . . .they always always help me be more thankful and see more to be thankful for. So thank you for that!
I’m cracking up, and thankful about that, about Laska’s power covering strength. I can relate! We have that little blind cat and well, she means well . . .just doesn’t always cover what needs covered. ha! Tonight, she got urpy (sorry if this is too gross). She does this. I think she eats too fast. Anyway, before I could catch her or put something under her, it was out on the carpet. eeewww. But then, she sniffed it and tried to cover it up. It was on the carpet, it didn’t work . . .but it was just so cute of her to try. ha!
God bless you and all the happy from praying. I need more of that in my life too!

Craig May 10, 2011 at 10:20 am

“Urpy” is actually the polite way to put it – and any cat person knows exactly what you mean – and running to put something under her – any cat person gets that too!! :) And your comment made me happy :) God Bless you Deb.

A. May 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

smile factories and muttlies….that made me smile. :) As did all the laska revelations. that is one precious aminal. he is good medicine for the soul. I am so glad he has a good caretaker.

i also enjoyed reading your ‘happy’ things. the angels…sometimes i forget about them. thank you for reminding me.

just happy to be able to read here today.

Christine May 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I love your list and mostly I love when you write – for things that bring “happy”, the kind that wells up from inside and bubbles over in a smile.
We are so blessed so blessed. Thanks for sharing your list with us, what a blessing

Craig May 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thank you Christine. And I heart those smiles – the ones that start inside and bubble over. Not the ones we plaster on for the benefit of show – but the ones we can’t help, and can’t hold back even if we try. God Bless you Christine – and thank you.

Brooke May 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Craig,
What a great list of the many blessings God has given you. What a journey to count joy into our lives by remember to give thanks and ultimately results in offering grace in all things…loved the kitty pics…so sweet! We lost our cat this year- she wandered away and never came back. Be blessed today!

Craig May 11, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Ann put it differently than I have in the past – but I’ve known it to be true – if we just can get to be thankful for EVERYTHING – “bad” and “good” – that’s where we find “Joy”. And the love kitty – he got lost about a month ago – during my move – and he actually wrote a post today about being careful but brave ^.^ Thank you Brooke – it is always nice to see your name at the bottom of one of my posts. And I’m sorry about your cat – I really am. I bet he/she is fine and someone adopted him/her. Cats know how to turn on the charm when they are lost and need help. Still, I’m sorry. God bless you and all your family. And thank you.