Love Prays (pt13) lead us not into temptation…

by Craig on May 27, 2011

It was just about this time last month that I noticed the moon rising with the sun. It spoke to me. It’s before sunrise as I write this, and only part of the moon is paying attention to the sunrise. This time it’s speaking to me differently.

The light on the moon is just a reflection of the light from the sun. It’s the only part of the moon that we really notice. The part of the moon facing away from the sun gets no light.

I want light in my life.

The part of me that doesn’t face You, Lord,

doesn’t get light.

It’s that simple really.

Facing You I get light, turning from You I don’t. One day I’ll face you full, always a beautiful full moon, for now I need you to lead me in the way in which I can face you the best.

I don’t want to be the turned away moon I see outside my window right now.

I want to be full.

And easily distracted sheep that I am, I need reminding to turn toward You, my Shepherd.

And that’s what this part of the Your prayer is for. It’s for talking with You about how I need Your help to keep my face turned toward You, and be lit full – and then asking for that help.

“…And lead us not into temptation.”

And so today, before I talk to You of anything else, I talk to You about this.

Father, its only in your light that I can see,
only in your grace that I have freedom,
only in your will that I should travel.

Anything that blocks your light,
imposes on your grace,
directs me away from your will,
is simply put,
evil.

I’m human, and subject to temptations.
They are sent to me daily.
They vary by the moment, by the place, by the circumstance.
Any movement toward them is away from you.
I cannot move away from you.

Father, guide me safely through the snares that are laid out to catch me,
keep me aware of the traps and sins that so easily beset me.
Help me to run from anything that might divert me from you,

or block your light.

Father, by your Grace I have forgiveness,
by Your Word I have direction,
by Your Spirit I have power to resist evil and triumph over sin.

Lord, this day lead me away from temptation,
and when confronted with it,
give me power to turn trial into victory.

By Your grace,
only by Your grace.

Amen.

Dawn May 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

Dear Craig,

I think I can speak for many who read you here, certainly for me, you were greatly missed yesterday. This post fills out “lead us not into temptation” for me. I will never say those words again that I do not think of the moon.

Have a blessed weekend,

Craig May 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

thank you Dawn, if I would just take the time and write a bunch of posts ahead of time, I wouldn’t ever have to miss a post. But there’s something about writing something up fresh – and serving up hot off the grill – I heart that – a little risky – but I heart it. Thank you for missing me – even if it was only one day. And I hope you have a blessed weekend too!

Cindy Holman May 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

I stumbled on your twitter account and now your blog from my friend Brenda. Love what you have going on here with the subject of LOVE. It’s really great – I will be following :)

Craig May 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Cindy, thank you for stumbling not only upon the one blog but both of my blogs and very glad to have you here and thankful that you’ve read my words, really, thankful. The whole Christian life comes down to one word – just one – because everything is wrapped up in the one –, LOVE. Again, thank you and God bless and keep you and each and every one of yours.

Cora May 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m with Dawn on this one. I’ll never pray the Lord’s prayer again without thinking of the moon. Sometimes I think I think in pictures. And this is perfect! Nothing better than seeing that big old moon in the stillness of the night or at the first light of dawn. And from this day on, this will be my prayer. Thank you, Craig. Hot off the grill was well worth it today!

Craig May 28, 2011 at 8:10 am

you know, now that I’ve written it, I to might not pray this part of the Lord’s prayer again without thinking of the moon facing the sun. Thank you Cora for your always kind words, and God bless and keep you this day!

Debbie May 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Such a wonderful prayer for us all to pray. Thank you so much! The visual of the moon with the message really helps! God bless you , Craig, as you stay turned to Him!

Craig May 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

and just one part of the Lord’s prayer left, “deliver us from the evil one”. Then I’ll wrap things up. I’ve gotten good mileage out of the predawn moon. No? Thank you Debbie, thank you, and as always God bless and keep you and all of yours.

Debra May 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Perfect metaphor… like the moon, we are reflections of the SON. Therefore keep facing the light that we may be filled with His glory. Yes indeed.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus… look full in His wonderful face… and the things of earth will grow strangely dim… in the light of His glory and grace.

Luke 11:34

Question: I couldn’t find you on Facebook – you must not be on there. I wanted to add you to a Christian Blog group. But with your permission, I could just add your site.

Craig May 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

Debra, first all thank you. This part of the prayer – Lord keep me facing you- lead me in the way in which I can reflect you best – lead me into temptation NOT – lead me the other way. That’s the thing. I have a Facebook page – but I really don’t use it. I’m a twitterite – Facebook seems complicated and labor-intensive and seems like it could swallow a lot of time – I can’t afford to have time swallowed now – a dream to follow – and follow hard. Thank you for reading Debra, I am truly grateful that our words crossed paths. God bless and keep you and all of yours.

marlece May 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Sometimes I think, “WOW, that Craig, their he goes AGAIN!!!” That prayer was amazing and talking about sin. Sometimes I think we get so ‘full of ourselves’ we don’t see the sin. The suttle ways that we sin….we do need to ask that He move in closer so that we may see the light better and brighter.

I loved this!

Craig May 31, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I have been swamped, Marlece, with family stuff, and a bunch of Blargh and Meh with a fever, so I’m sorry for being late in responding to your comment. Thank you. I always heart your comments. And yes, we can put blinders on to sins, and temptation, but I know this – if I want to stay close to our Lord and need to stay clear of the temptations that can get to me. And for this I need his help. I can see why this is a part of our Lord’s prayer. God bless you Marlece.

Michelle May 30, 2011 at 4:21 am

Amen and Amen!

Craig May 31, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Amen and amen – and even one more amen – and thank you – and God bless. :-)

A. June 2, 2011 at 12:03 am

This is a beautiful prayer, Craig!!! i would like to copy it onto a paper and keep it in my pocket. It needs to be reread and then again, and again. Thank you for this, and for the moonlight image of our reflection of Him!!