Love prays (pt14) (I think) “protect me from the Evil One”

by Craig on June 3, 2011

This is the last part of the pattern of the Lord’s prayer.

A series begun so long ago.

It’s just a few words long – but it is packed with so much meaning.

It’s a short post today – no pictures – just words. Sorry, you know I heart pictures, but today I lack the time.

When I pray this part of the prayer,
when I chat with God about it,
the words are affected by circumstance, time and place,
they reflect where I am in my life at that particular moment,
so each time it’s different,
but it is all on this theme…

“protect me from the Evil One.”

I know that some say “deliver us from evil” – but in the Greek it’s specifically, “the Evil One”.

Father,

more than the simple temptations and trials of life that I bump into,
there is an Enemy that has to be fought,
an Enemy that wants my extinction.

There is a hateful, malignant evil that seeks to do me harm.

I am a child of Yours, something that he can never be.

He is jealous,
angry,
deceitful,
vain.

Stealing,
killing,
destroying.

He didn’t get started as pure evil,
but by now he is.

Not perfect,
only you are perfect at anything,
but he sets the farthest limits of Your creation,
on the wrong side of your will.

And I’m a creation too.

And on my own I’m defenseless in the face of this threat.

He is a superior, unavoidable enemy, whom I can’t beat unless You come to my aid.

I don’t ask so much to be spared from struggle (which I accept),
or from suffering (which I’ll endure),
but spare me from the encounter with this enemy,
who is stronger than all my strength,
more clever than all my intelligence.

He’s the “the ruler of this present age”.
But “He that is in me, is greater than he that is in the world”.

I know that You are my shield, my fortress, my deliverer.

On my behalf, you have personally opposed yourself to the Evil One.
He wants me destroyed.
But he can’t destroy me.
You stand in his way.
And can’t defeat you.

You have already saved me from his grasp.
As long as I have You, I have no need to fear him.
And I will always have You.

Protect me please from him, and from his minions this day.

And even as I ask it – I know it’s already done.

Amen.

Dawn June 3, 2011 at 11:49 am

Dear Craig,

You have no pictures. I have no words. You’ve prayed it perfectly.

Amen,

Craig June 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Dawn, thank you – that was one of your more poetic comments too :-) God bless you!

Cindy Holman June 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I too have prayed something similar and know that God has saved me from the evil one on more than one occasion. You said it beautifully. Thanks.

Craig June 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Cindy, I think that God always saves us from the evil one, without him standing in the breach more than just trial and trouble would happen – far more – far worse. But he does protect us – always. Thank you for your kind words – I so heart having you read me. God bless you.

Miz Liz June 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm

These words do not need pictures, Craig. Just powerful words that create a mighty fortress. Just speaking His name becomes prayer. Your description helps me allow Jesus and the work done on the cross on my behalf to face down the evil one for me. Thank you!
P.S. I have a few of my words back and mentioned you and Cora and Dawn in my new post. Three hours before I got sick yet again with no diagnosis. But I have strength to dwell in His presence. I truly heart your words.

Craig June 5, 2011 at 6:43 am

Yay! I hearted those words on your post. And the sick with no diagnosis? I get that l- nobody knows why my brain doesn’t let me sleep right. Every doctor – well most of them – have been nice – but I think they’ve reached the limit of their answers. Thank you Liz. I know doctors can only go so far – but I just finished praying for them to get a little wisdom, and you to stay strong as you can, and our Lord to rush in and fill the void. God bless you.

A. June 5, 2011 at 1:21 am

Craig, I can get so sidetracked thinking about how much of the evil that happens is due to the choices people make, and forget that the evil one is present and motivated. I sometimes wonder where the evil one begins and our choices end or vice versa. When is it the devil making us do a thing and when is it just us choosing to do it? Does the evil one set out the tempting platters and then we are responsible for choosing to partake of the ‘goodies’ (really baddies)? Powers and principalities and such things can be a bit complex to think about. I realize it borders on other topics and I won’t drag those in here, but I am very glad you reminded me to not always park in the place that loses sight of the evil forces.

Craig June 5, 2011 at 6:50 am

and A., I have this theory – that we really never do come face-to-face with the Evil One – he’s limited – he’s not like God – God can be everywhere all at once – I doubt that’s true for him. Angels are big and strong but limited – he’s a creation – Just a Angel gone wrong– so I imagine a person who can’t be everywhere has to pick and choose his victims – I think the arch-enemy of God doesn’t have time to mess with people less than Billy Grahams and Mother Teresas and Joan of Arcs, and Augustines. But, he’s got a boatload of minions – it’s those I think that we battle with. Every. Single. Day.

and how much is due to his minions, and how much is just our own nature, and how much is it that we live in a world surrounded by things that just tempt us, and how much are other people responsible for our temptations, and the negative voices? How many of those are from the enemy – and how many are from ourselves? Kinda doesn’t matter. Because our first weapon has to be our Lord – and our Lord can defeat each and every one of those. And don’t worry, as I write this to you, I’m also reminding myself – we are no different – we forget. God bless you A.

Cindy June 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Just coming by to say thanks for visiting and encouraging me…it blesses me that you consider the words God gives me at all … and I appreciate the heads up to the comments problem, since I am just a fledgling at all this techy stuff…my hosting provider is having to fix the problem. I love how you have God’s heart of love figured out, and provide an online site for people to learn more deeply of this love…

In Him,
Cindy

Craig June 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Thank you Cindy, I hearted reading you! And I don’t have Love figured out – but I’m getting a better handle on it each and every day. Love is what our faith is – in action. God Bless you Cindy – and thank you.

Beatriz (from Brazil) June 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm

May God bless you richly! I was feeling so down because of many struggles I’ve been facing, and your sweet and blessing poem has really helped me out of it.
Thank you!

Craig June 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Muito obrigado. Você é muito gentil. Eu estou feliz que você foi abençoados. O deus Abençoa-o.