Love prays…a poem

by Craig on June 8, 2011

beyond horizon’s concealment

pawing through hinterlands of black

light strives to be seen

source

determined

unwavering,

faithful,

and true

amen

Cora June 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

Craig, if I could memorize this and whisper it from my heart into God’s ear at sunrise each morning, what a change it make —- as I KNOW it’s a prayer that God would ALWAYS hear and answer with a nod of approval. Thank you!

Craig June 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Cora, it’s been my burning desire since the first day accepted him as Lord. Always wanting to know more, always wanting to be in line with him, always knowing where my home was, where my true north was – knowing I wasn’t good enough – knowing he knew that – and loved anyway. I heart Him. Thing is I’m really good at praying – prayers are easy – but this prayer was a poem – why aren’t poems easy?

Michelle June 8, 2011 at 8:59 am

That’s deep stuff! For someone who doesn’t like poetry you do it well:)

Craig June 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Michelle, thank you. Maybe the thing is I don’t understand poetry. I think I get that it’s the calling up of emotion and the framing it in words and meticulously dropping each one in place so that it says things in a way that’s powerful like a picture – more powerful than prose – and it gets the heart somehow – I think I get all of that – but it’s so hard. I think for a true poet – just like a songwriter – it can’t be that hard otherwise they wouldn’t do it. Prose flows off my keyboard and needs to be held back – poems – it’s like each single word sits in front of a parking meter, a way overpriced parking meter, and I stress and each parking spot because I don’t think I have enough change. then at the end it turns out that I somehow always have barely enough change to get squeak by – but that STRESS! bet you didn’t expect that much of a reply for such a simple, and nice, and complementary comment :-) God bless you

Lisa notes... June 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

“Longing, thirsting, wishing to be a vessel of love.” My heart’s cry.

Craig June 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Lisa, I can tell that’s your heart’s cry. It’s mine too. And I wonder how he isn’t always angry with me – when I get so angry with myself, that I am such an imperfect vessel. He really doesn’t have to be so patient. But he does have so much patience and love – it’s beyond anything I can understand. Maybe someday…

Thank you Lisa, and God bless and keep you.

Christina June 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Speechless. Amazing how something like linking letters into words and words together into beautiful phrases can cause one’s heart to be deeply moved. Thanks!

Craig June 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Christina, I don’t know what the magic of poetry is – I don’t know what the magic of songwriting is – but clearly something happens to words when they fall into line just the right way. Trust me I do this poetry thing with my eyes half closed in fear – and each word of every line grabs more than its fair pound of flesh. Every poem I write – I think that’s it – that’s the last one I have in me – but then people with really kind hearts, like yours, say nice things, and so I write one more. I heart poems – but poems. hate. me.

Cindy Holman June 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Beautiful.

Craig June 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm

thank you Cindy – my sister told me my poems are hard for her to understand – but admitted that it’s probably because I’ve written “Gina is my sister” poems nearly yearly for her since she was a little girl. They tend to be pretty simple. Please let me know if I ever get too esoteric with them – I’m only trying to do poetry like the adults do it :-) God bless you!

I could do a rhyming poem sometime those are absolute cake!

Kristin June 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m like the others. . .this sounds like a beautiful prayer. Love that 26 little letters can be turned into something SO beautiful! And you said you didn’t like poetry. It’s obvious the Holy Spirit speaks through you. Thank you for sharing your stringing of 26 little letters of beauty with us! I would love to read more!

Craig June 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Kristin, I’m humbled – really humbled. I finish a piece of prose – and I look at it – and I can see the value in it – the worth. Looking at a poem once I’ve written it – well – it’s like that critical eye looking deep inside of me – and never being satisfied – and never feeling it’s good enough. Know what I mean? And it consistently astounds me that these poems I dabble in have any worth for anyone. To show what a poet I am not – I didn’t even get the brilliant “26 little letter” nuance of your comment. I had to sit and let it sink in. A poet wouldn’t have to do that. Still, thank you so much. really, thank you Kristin, and God bless you – God bless you.

Melanie June 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Craig! How did I not know you wrote poetry?!?! This is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful.

Craig June 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Melanie, I don’t write too many of them – though they are on both sites – filed in the tag cloud as poema. I don’t write them as often because although I’m very nice to poems – Poems. Hate. Me. I explain that so often I might have to write a post about it. Prose is easy. Poems are hard! Thank you Melanie, thank you, and God bless you.

Debbie June 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I”m so glad that you went through a near death experience again . . .so we could have such a marvelous poem! 😉 Thank you and God bless you for following Him even into the writing of poems.

A. June 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Near death experience…Debbie, you are so funny! Craig has told us they nearly finish him off each time, but the results are so worth it, since they don’t kill him off.

Craig, the part that stood out to me was the phrase “knees to earth, heart unbound”. I never understand completely why certain things stand out as they do for me, and likely, if I reread it another time, something different would stand out. Like everyone else, I am grateful for your efforts, and touched deeply by the majesty and beauty of what you have expressed!

Craig June 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

okay, both Debbie and A. – These poems really are like near-death experiences – they really are – I’m not kidding! God bless you both. :-)

A. June 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Craig, I believe you…especially since you have been pushing up daisies on your other blog! :) (forgive me, couldn’t resist that one.)

Katie@alwayssimplybegin June 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Amen.

Craig June 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Amen – that’s why I put the Amen in the little letters at the bottom of the poem – because it really was more like a prayer them a poem. It was my heart. Thank you for reading Katie, and God bless you and all of yours!

imperfect prose June 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

spirit ascends, knees to earth… love this. this captures prayer. bless you.

Craig June 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

thank you Emily – and have I told you how much I respect, so much, how you take the time to comment on the people who link up with you. I think that’s incredibly gracious. God bless you Emily – and thank you.

Michelle June 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm