Love says thank you 1,000 times (#’s 419-436)

by Craig on July 4, 2011

It’s Monday, and Mondays are for thank you’s …

source

#419 … that I am a chosen vessel, cracked but not leaking, chipped but not shattered, scratched but still usable.

#421 … that You have given me such a simple guide to living as You would have me live – three little verses in the Bible, spelled out so clearly – L.O.V.E.

#422 … that You first taught Paul, and he taught me, what now stands as the base of my life.

#423 … for that church at Corinth that was so messed up they probably required way more than two letters. If they hadn’t been so unruly we would not have the love verses.

#424 … for those men who thousands of years ago divided the Old Testament into chapter and verse, and who 500 years ago added numbers – so we can find stuff – without a computer.

#425 … that rejoicing in the truth of what God has done, and is doing, from the smallest of things to the greatest – giving thanks – is part of love.

#426 … that yesterday as clouds won the battle with the blue of sky….
and the rain was hard, and heavy, and the raindrops were enormous…
I decided to take a long, slow, walk in it…
without umbrella…
and in the steady rain I was refreshed and reminded of Your miracles.

source

#427 … the miracle that is rain itself, transporting the most vital element to physical life – carried across thousands of miles and dropped like manna.

#428 … for the plants that breathe in what would kill us and breathe out what we need to live.

#429 … for the thin veil of atmosphere, and the molten core causing the magnetic field critical for life, and the tilty-ness of the planet, and the rotation – all essential for life.

#430 … for the perfectly sized Sun, and gigantic planets with immense gravity that suck up so much of what would hit and devastate us.

#431 … for just that one big moon, the perfect size and distance away from the planet, without which human life would be impossible.

#432 … that this planet is nestled in the just the right spot of the solar system, and the solar system positioned at just the right point of the galaxy, not the outskirts where it would be exposed to the ravages of the violence of space, not in the center where it’s too bright, too hot, but on the edge of a band of the Milky Way, with a clear view of the rest of the universe.

source

#433 … that none of this cries out “random chance” – but design.

#434 … that all of science points to You. It’s only the wildest of unproven theory that says maybe there’s another planet out there that might possibly sustain human life.

#435 … that this all started with a walk in the rain, just a sopping, happy walk through raindrops dripping from clouds.

#436 … that above the clouds,

no matter how dark,

source

is always blue sky.

Dawn July 4, 2011 at 9:14 am

Dear Craig,

I just finished my thank you’s and then clicked over here from your button on my blog. I smiled a big, big horsey smile when I started reading the “earth science” thank-you’s. My husband loves earth science and I thought, “This could be Russ’ list.” I heart it. My personal favorites are #419 and #436, the alpha and omega ones. May I never carelessly dispose of the cracked, chipped or scratched, but always try to redeem them for I am such a vessel, too.

No matter how dark, there is ALWAYS blue sky above the clouds!
Amen,

Craig July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I heart number 436 too – it came as a result of the cloudy skies – and knowing what was above them – and then when I found this picture – the one with the giraffe with his head above the clouds – I hearted it even more. We have good taste :-) God bless you Dawn.

Carrie July 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

First time visitor from “A Holy Experience”! I love so many in your weekly gift list. The apostle Paul is a favorite of mine; I often read his letters whenever I need a lift or encouragement. Adore #423 and #428. Thanks for sharing!

Craig July 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm

welcome Carrie – thank you for dropping by. And thank you for your kind words. I didn’t used to like the apostle Paul, I thought he was a grumpy old man. Then I studied Philippians – they were the church he hearted – and they hearted him back. And it dawned on me that the apostle who was at one time was full of rage – he had become brimming with love – so he became a favorite of mine too. thank you Carrie, thank you, and God bless and keep you.

Southern Gal July 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

Love the blue skies above the clouds.

Craig July 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

the blue skies in the thank you list – I heart that one too – that no matter how thick and heavy and grave the clouds are – always – always above them – is clear blue sky. And I heart what it means for us at our situations – here – under the clouds. Thank you for reading, and God bless and keep you.

Stefanie Brown July 4, 2011 at 11:25 am

What an amazing list! We serve such an amazing Savior!

Craig July 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Stephanie, thank you. And when I think, really think of the only God, complete in every way, needing nothing, perfect – and then he added us – not because he needed to – but because he wanted to – and he lives – and because he lives we live – and because he loves us – we are able to love him – yes – yes – like you said, “we serve such an amazing Savior” Amen. Amen. God bless and keep you Stephanie.

Kris July 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Such a great list, Craig. And what a perfect thing, a walk in the rain… it’s been far too long since I did that… And I LOVE that last bit, above the dark sky, there is always blue. He is ALWAYS there, in everything… YES!!!

Craig July 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm

it had been years since I last had a walk in the rain – on purpose – just getting soaked and not caring – but actually wanting it. And to look up to the sky and open your arms stick your tongue out and take a drink, and praise him in a real way – quiet – but real (you don’t wantanyone calling an ambulance) and Amen – no matter how gray it gets below the clouds – He is always shining – and he gives us long necks :-) (I heart that drawing!) God bless you Kris!

R July 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Dear Craig, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the comment left there. Many thans for your wishes on my pregnancy! Kisses and sorry for delay…

Craig July 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

thank you Raluca, God bless you and your family.

Ruthiey July 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

That first one just made me cry. How often I feel my own brokenness, but what a beautiful thing that God choses us broken people.

Craig July 5, 2011 at 11:09 am

Ruthiey, the more I think about that first one on my list – the more it brings a tear to me too. The way the world works – the broken, the cracked, the splintered, it gets discarded – or sold off at a discount. And Our Lord Doesn’t do that – he uses the broken – which is good because every – single – one of us is broken. We just don’t all admit it. God bless you Ruthiey – and thank you.

Debbie July 5, 2011 at 2:54 am

I’m going to be different and like #425 this time . . .but of course, they are all big reasons to say thank you to Him and to you! :)
God bless you and keep your head and heart about the clouds!

Craig July 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Debbie – now you need to come back and tell me why picking #425 is “different”. My little tiny brain doesn’t understand (◠‿◠) God bless you Debbie – and it IS sunny today (◠‿◠)

Debbie July 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Oh, I’m sorry . . .didn’t mean to confuse. It was late. I don’t spell well or comment well then. ha! I said different just because the others readers had chosen other thank you’s. That’s all. :)

Craig July 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

thank you Debbie – all better now (◠‿◠)

Mari July 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh walking in the rain! I want to do that some day (but we girls with our hair and all, lol). Always enjoy reading your list, may God bless you richly this week :)

Craig July 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

I say… Hair dries… and girls who walk in the rain and get their hair all wet – and whatever happens to the hair when it’s wet from the rain – I speak for probably most guys when I say – that’s awesome! Just sayin’ (◠‿◠) thank you Mari and God bless and keep you.

A. July 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

Especially loved the last one…and the picture! And #421…that needs to come with an explanation. (Not meaning that YOU need to provide an explanation, of course. :) there is no tag in the neck on that one. What does love look like and what doesn’t love look like? there are so many versions of love out there…”if you loved me, you would ______________”, etc. Baseball bats have been used against people-with the word ‘love’ written on them as a justification: “I am doing this for your own good” or “this is biblical”, etc.

The love chapter and the list of fruit of the Spirit help with the definition until we come around the bend and find Jesus using a whip to overturn the tables/drive the money changers out. And Jesus calling the church folk vipers, and whited sepulchers, etc. Then i begin scratching my head and asking, “How can I know when love should be hard and when it should be soft? And I pray and I study and I try things and it goes ok for a while and I think I am learning and then sometimes I wonder if I really know anything at all. Of course, the Holy Spirit helps with this but I confess I wish He spoke as clearly as your post its on the wall speak-or at least were as easy to ‘read’. I am learning, though. Still small voices are the best ‘voices’ and the most difficult to hear sometimes.

Craig July 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm

A. I think the picture absolutely makes the last thank you. It shows the dark underneath – and the blue skies above – and the giraffes with the ability to see above the clouds – and the kid underneath without it – and the balloon lifting the girl higher – that’s exactly – EXACTLY – what I was going for.

and, A., #421 actually does have a tag – Corinthians 13:4 – 7 IS the tag. (◠‿◠)

and the whip – and the moneychangers – love is not quick to anger – but love cannot stand injustice – the moneychangers may have been cheating, and robbing, at the most – and at the least they were occupying the area that was set aside in the Temple for prayer – especially prayer for Gentiles. There may have been more reasons to his anger – reasons only someone with his special insight and sense of justice would know – but there were reasons. Righteous indignation is a tough one to couch any action in – unless you are THE RIGHTEOUS ONE – none of us are – so we have to be careful, I think, with this kind of anger/love. And the calling out of the Pharisees – Our Lord Was especially harsh on those who were damaging the name of God – and they WERE vipers – they were plotting to kill him. And they WERE whitewashed tombs – and were all show and no go and blind guides leading the blind – and they should have known better. But once again, I think he may have known stuff that we did not know, and cannot know as well – in addition to the obvious. And the “still small voice” is almost always the hardest to hear. God bless you A. I hope this answers your questions – if not – just let me know – I almost always know where to find myself (◠‿◠).