Love arrives early…Mary…Joseph…August 16th?

by Craig on December 20, 2011

Just saws and rulers and hammers, and nails…

source

…but not for long…

December 25, 7 BC

And she seems so devout. How can nobody have seen this? Lord, how could you not have shown me that she wasn’t what I thought? People don’t think that I can hear what they say. Business is slow. Nobody trusts me now.

January, 6 BC

Maybe to just get her away – to Elizabeth. The longer she stays here, the more people talk. But Lord, every way I turn, no matter what I do, it’s all ruined.

February, 6 BC

She’s gone now, you’d think this would die down, but nobody’s forgetting. Nobody’s going to believe that it’s not my baby.  She’ll be back soon, and Lord, I don’t know what to do.

March, 6 BC

That dream Lord, was that from you? Is that the answer?

source

No matter which way I look at this it does not turn out well. People will think either she’s a holy harlot, or I’m responsible, either way this child has no future. Whispers will always follow him. But is it your will Lord, do you want me to marry her…anyway?

April, 6 BC
Even my brother thinks that I’m the one who has to make good. But I didn’t do anything. He’s here to watch me marry, but even he’s taking his business elsewhere. Everybody is. He shakes his head about that dream of yours, Lord. Nobody’s going to believe. And this baby, it’s not mine, and you say it’s not even hers. How can I blame anybody for not believing this? I’ll follow this path though. I’ll follow.

June 23, 6 BC

She’s so helpful, so peaceful all the time…she melts me that one. Her child, he’ll be as different as her, won’t he? She takes this all to you like an offering. At least this census is happening with more than a month left before the baby comes. We can go and register and come back. But Lord, right now she’s the only thing that makes me smile. So silent all the time, until she laughs – and then I have to smile. It’s her Lord, not me. She’s the one, so certain, so calm, she makes it easier to believe.

source

August 15, 6BC

We’ll be in Bethlehem tomorrow. But she doesn’t look right. She can’t stay on the donkey. She can’t walk. She’s in pain. She doesn’t think I can see her cry. Something is wrong isn’t it? Everything is hurting her right now, I don’t want her hurt. Just get us through this census Lord, then back home, she needs family.

August 16, 6 BC

And now, there’s water all over the donkey, all over our food! She’s so embarrassed, and in so much pain. It comes and then it goes. Lord, help us make it to the city – then the baby can be born in a proper place.

What else can go wrong?!

Oh, and in case you’re curious about the August 16th birthday of Jesus, all is explained here.

A. December 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oh, Craig, I heart this, and I began rewatching ‘Jesus of Nazareth two nights ago, so all the more hearts! And thank you, again, for the heads up on the movie. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have known of it, and I treasure it.

Craig December 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

And oh. the actress who played Mary in that movie – she played Juliet in Romeo and Juliet too – that is a beautiful movie/mini-series. Stands the test of time. I have a copy I treasure too – and on Christmas Eve – or before – I’ll watch the Christmas part. In honor of you. Merry Christmas A.

Katie December 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Oh how often have I or others felt like Joseph with all the fears and doubts. I heart your perspective of Joseph and the birth of Jesus.

Craig December 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Katie, thank you, although I don’t know the details, I know this is a time of doubt for you. It’s been a pleasure to pray for you. Thank you for always the kind word, thank you, and Merry Christmas.

Katie December 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Danelle December 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I imagine this had to be what Joseph was feeling. Very thoughtful. I love this perspective as we all sometimes forget the very frail humans who fathered and mothered God made flesh. The worries of our natures. And How God’s plan is always perfect despite us.

Craig December 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Danelle, thank you – and of the two I have the feeling that Mary was the more devout one – the more faithful one – the more trusting one. I see Joseph as a lot like the picture we have of Peter – man of the earth – trust coming hard. And amen – God’s plan – that IS as perfect as He is – and he wants our welfare, not our woe (IS 40:31 I think). Anyway, thank you again Danelle – and Merry Christmas.

Layla Payton December 21, 2011 at 12:13 am

I love this!!! It’s like having Joseph here, telling me all about what it must have been like. Well done, friend. :)

Craig December 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

yeah – me and Joseph – just guys at heart – were all pretty much the same ツthank you Layla, thank you my friend.

Michelle December 21, 2011 at 12:41 am

“What else can go wrong?” What else indeed. I know we all have times like this. When we are following what we believe we are led to do, and no-one else sees it. Thank you for this.

Craig December 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Michelle, I smile when I think that – if he only knew, he would’ve saved that line for later. ツ Merry Christmas