Love me some quotes from Alice in Wonderland (p1)

by Craig on July 11, 2012

Alice in Wonderland is not a book for children.

all the best quotes from Alice in in Wonderlandsource

There’s a reason Disney has never been able to properly translate it into a movie. It’s about drugs. It’s about insanity. It’s about change, death, rules, logic, illogic and language.

But it’s not a children’s book.

After my 170 hours of no sleep I needed things to hold onto in the sea of chaos it ordained.

Alice in Wonderland was…and is, one of those float-y things.

So I want to share with you some of my favorite quotes from Alice in Wonderland.

It’ll take a few posts to cover them all. At the end of the posts I’ll put all the linkies in case you want them all at your fingertips.

And so…

and what is the use of a book,” thought Alice “ without pictures or conversation?

…down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

nor did Alice think it so very much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself,`Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late! (when she thought it over afterwards, it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural)

`Well!thought Alice to herself, `after such a fall as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling down stairs! How brave they’ll all think me at home! Why, I wouldn’t say anything about it, even if I fell off the top of the house! (Which was very likely true.)

the best quotes from Alice in Wonderlandsource

Down, down, down. Would the fall never come to an end! `I wonder how many miles I’ve fallen by this time?she said aloud. `I must be getting somewhere near the centre of the earth. Let me see: that would be four thousand miles down, I think–(for, you see, Alice had learnt several things of this sort in her lessons in the schoolroom, and though this was not a very good opportunity for showing off her knowledge, as there was no one to listen to her, still it was good practice to say it over)

And here Alice began to get rather sleepy, and went on saying to herself, in a dreamy sort of way, `Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?’ and sometimes, `Do bats eat cats?for, you see, as she couldn’t answer either question, it didn’t much matter which way she put it.

Part two of the best Alice in Wonderland quotes is here.

And if you know nothing of this present battle…
but you are kind enough to wonder about it…
here are all the “down the rabbit hole” links.

Scribbly thank yous after 56 no sleep hours

Gathering darkness after 80 no sleep hours

Only words, and not good ones after 150 hours of no sleep

The aftermath after the 170 hours of no sleep

Resisting no sleep gravity

The no sleep white rabbit

The dodgy ascent from the descent

No sleep thank you’s to God

No sleep and Psalms 3

No sleep, down the rabbit hole, thank you’s to God.

The battle – the no sleep aftermath.

Love says no sleep battlefield  thank you’s to God.

Love remains the true anchor, the best gravity.

Love Anchors to God…and the here and now.

Layla Payton July 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Alice in Wonderland…one of my top favorites, yes, even as a kid.

Craig July 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I never read this book as a child – I wasn’t much into the movies either. But this is really is one of the things that helped pull me out from where I was. That “there and nowhere.” that still pulls so hard. It was more NEVER land than a Wonderland – it was – and is so hard to escape from. And like the book of Ecclesiastes – Alice goes through the entire book before she realizes that she needs to do to escape – like Solomon does before he comes to his Godly conclusion. Anyway – I now love these quotes – they are a part of me – so I need to share them. Thank you Leila, thank you, and God bless and keep you.

Mari July 13, 2012 at 8:22 am

Can you believe I have never read the book? But now I want to! It sounds full of wisdom.

Craig July 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm

For me, Mari, it has a much darker tone about it than I’m sure it’s supposed to. these last six weeks of being “down the rabbit hole” make everything in the book probably about something other than it really is. But the book definitely is about being lost, and not knowing how you fit in, and trying to find the power within you TO fit in. But it sure isn’t a children’s book like we all thought it was. By the way, you can get it online for free – just Google it. God bless and keep you, my friend – and thank you for standing watch as I continue to fight my way back to the “here and now”.

A. July 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I, too, have never read the book, nor seen the movies, but I also want to now. Thank you for introducing some of us to this treasure, Craig.

Craig July 14, 2012 at 12:32 pm

A. The movies really don’t do it justice – the book is much more adult than the movies can make it. The themes are much deeper. And A? I had never read it until just now either. God bless and keep you my now, long time friend!

Carrie July 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Craig, do you remember the Tom Petty video where he depicts Alice in Wonderland? That video creeped me out so I never did give the book a chance! Perhaps I’ll add to my reader bucket list? Take care!

Craig July 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yeah, never been a Petty fan. I remember that video – no wonder I didn’t read the book back then. But I have now. And you don’t have to read it – these quotes are all the good stuff :) God bless you Carrie, I’m still fighting, and people like you make it easier.