Love feasts on the Bread of Angels | Panis Angelicus

First the Latin:

Panis Angelicus fit panis hominum
Dat Panis caelicus figuris terminum
O res mirablis, manducat Dominum
Pauper, pauper, servus et humilis
Pauper, pauper, servus et humilis

It was written by Thomas Aquinas about 700 years ago.

My Latin is more rusty than the Tin Man.
The Latin of Aquinas was, lets say, poetic.
It’s called “poetic license” for a reason.

Given both conditions, and weeks spent pouring over Latin grammar, here is my best translation…

The Bread of Angels
Becomes the bread of humanity

He [The Father]
gives over to die
the Bread of Heaven
to be the end of all signs and symbols

Oh, what an astonishing thing

The poor one
The one who serves
And the one who is humble
Partakes of the Lord

The poor one
The one who serves
And the one who is humble
Partakes of the Lord

If the bread of Christmas was only decorations, presents, friends and family, I would have very little of Christmas this year. But I have other bread, better bread, bread of angels…

Panis Angelicus

My Christmas will be still and sparse…

more inside the heart and less under the tree.

And so I have a new favorite Christmas song.
It fits like a cozy pair of ugs on chilly winter feet.

Simple. Quiet. Profound.

Like the first Christmas.

Willow December 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm

A miracle before my eyes! That was my response when I found you on my mail list tonight. How wonderful to hear from you again. I have been keeping you in my daily prayers. Thank you for the Christmas gift of hearing from you.

Craig December 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I’ll keep it short. You know the story. Love my Grandma. :)

Katie December 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

OH Craig! I am so excited when I got this in my email! Merry Christmas! I have thought about you a lot this last year and said prayers for you.

Craig December 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Of all the people who have read me I knew you would be one who would see this post. I’m not all the way back but the blog has been idle too long. Long long long story not finished yet/ Hope all is well. :)

Katie December 29, 2013 at 7:54 am

Take your time and take care. Some things are more important than blogging no matter how much we love it. My blogging has been sporadic also this last year. :)

A. December 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm

So glad you are back, Craig!!!

A. December 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm

And I love the lyrics of this song….thank you.

Craig December 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I’m not back yet. Still not sure if I’ll win this little battle. The war is won of course, all I can do is fight the good fight. I’ve been trying, I’ll keep trying. It sure would be fun to run the race downhill wouldn’t it. “A” :)

A. December 29, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Craig….downhill, yes it would! That made me smile. :) I am still praying for you and the uphill battle. Even if you need to take more sabbaticals. That’s what rest areas are for-all those times when we need to pull over and refuel, recharge, rebuild, or just close our eyes and breathe slowly, and curl up with our Father of Lights.

Felecia December 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

What a Christmas blessing to hear your voice again, Craig. I’ve missed you so. How fabulous that you got us to delve into Thomas Aquinas and a thousand thanks for the translation from Latin. It’s a beautiful gift to your readers, and gift beyond measure from Mr. Aquinas.
Your Christmas may be sparse, but you are rich Craig. Very rich indeed.
Much love for 2014. I hope you are able to keep in touch with us.
In Christ’s Love and mine,
Felecia

Craig December 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I hope I can keep in touch too Felicia. Thank you for reading. I thought nobody would after all this time. Fighting the good fight that’s all I can do – and not sure if this battle will be won. Blessings to you friend. Thank you.

thefisherlady January 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Craig… so nice to come back for a visit! Like you, Christmas was a quiet song in the heart for me this year….such peace that comes with it. It did not even bother me that others have been bustling and busy over Christmas since November… I was ready, my heart was filled with His peace and joy…
I continue to hold you in prayer~ may your 2014 be strengthened with the joy of the Lord. I am learning how to me merry because I have found how true that a merry heart is good like a medicine. When things have been hard I find a way in the Lord to see them as joyous… and my merry heart makes my body feel so much less pained…may we rest in Him who asks that we come to Him… Immanuel, God with us. How blessed we are.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm

first, I’m sorry I’m so late in responding. Everything is still so upside down I need to sit at your feet for a while while you refresh me on keeping a joyous spirit. I know I would learn a lot. God with us – we ARE blessed, regardless of circumstances.God bless and keep!

Miz Liz January 2, 2014 at 1:06 am

Oh my, Craig. Oh, praise our Holy Father. I’ve prayed for you, missed you, and just would not give up. You are more dear than there are words for this old woman of words. Take your time. All of us will up our covering of God’s mercy and grace and healing and love and kindness and all blessings on you. I am just overcome. When you are better, I’ll share why this means so much.
Hang tight. We NEED you. And the fisher lady is right: we NEED you. Love and blessings and prayer, you old, OLD friend. Liz Oh my. God is sooooooooo good.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Liz, please keep praying. I’m still in the middle of the forest dark and deep. All I want to do, I have wanted to do, is to give up. Can’t do that. And don’t wait until I’m better to share with me ANY story. I may never BE better. So now is as good a time as any. And thank you for your kind words. For the life of me right now I can’t understand why anyone would need ME. Thank you. God bless and keep!

Lisa Maria January 2, 2014 at 6:03 am

Hello Craig

It is good to see that you are alive and hopefully well. I, myself have not blogged for far too long (also a long story and complicated by the fact that I need a computer). I’ve popped in occasionally to check on old friends and I did worry/wonder when I noted your absence. For some reason I didn’t receive notification of this post so I’m really glad that I popped in today.

I pray that whatever it is that you are going through, God’s grace, protection and provision will be over and under you. May I wish you all God’s abundant blessings for the New Year. Take care….hope to see you writing again.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Lisa Maria, I AM alive, I’m blessed, not really too well, but blessed. I have been absent, the story probably just about as long as yours. Thank you for popping in. It’s nice not to feel forgotten. Thank you. God bless and keep!

Mizliz Liz January 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hi again Craig. Just poppin in to tell you I am one determined, stubborn, PUSHY, grandma and I’m not giving up on you, pushing hard for you to fight, FIGHT and FIGHT some more. Don’t quit. I believe FIRMLY that God needs you here praising him and encouraging us. Times are hard but, I KNOW that I Know that this is your here and now. We love you, we need you, we’re fighting for/with you. Hurry, we need you. :-) hugs and live, Another Grandma who loves you.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:20 pm

one can never have too many grandmas, thank you. Sometimes you can’t see. Right now I can’t see. So I’ll just keep believing until I do see. believing is seeing. I’m trying. Every step is hard but I’m trying. Thank you so much. Thank you.

Cora January 5, 2014 at 12:56 am

What a wonderful, heart-lifting blessing to find your post tonight, Craig! I’ve prayed for you daily through all this time, and I’m just praising God that you are here with us!!! What a beautiful New Year’s gift! Thank you so much!!!! I hope you know how much you have meant to me in the past, and to so many others. The Lord has used you in so many ways, and I’m just so glad to have the opportunity to tell you that one more time. I’m just so. . . . . smiley and happy!!!!!

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

thank you for praying all of this time Cora. Thank you for all of the kind words, it’s just so hard to take them in right now, you probably know exactly what that means. But thank you for them. I don’t really see how I;ve been much use at all for him, but thank you. God bless and keep!

Susan January 8, 2014 at 11:52 am

This post is so beautiful. . .funny meandering path led me here today for this treasurer. Be well, Craig, and take care of yourself.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:25 pm

first, sorry I’m so late responding. Thank you for your kind words. Thank you for meandering along your path that led you to my post. If the post is beautiful at all, it’s only beautiful because of the inspiration. Thank you. “Well” might not really be in the cards right now, but I will try to take care of myself. You too. God bless and keep!

Sylvia R January 11, 2014 at 10:55 am

My! Absolutely beautiful! And I do so appreciate your translation. I missed this till now, because I was subscribed to your other blog site. Wish I’d seen it at Christmas. My Christmas was very spare too (most minimalist ever), because I got sick all December with something I could not get rid of. Still sound like a frog with half a voice! But still praying for you, if silently—and now rejoicing much. One foot in front of the other… Then the other…. and resting in Him in between… may the tunnel open to more and more light.
God bless you, Craig.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm

thank you for praying for me Sylvia, I’m guessing that God understands “frog”. 1 foot in front of the other. But between you and me, I’m always a little afraid that the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.ツGod bless and keep you Sylvia!

Debbie January 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I just love this translation, Craig. Thank you for taking the time to do it , for yourself and for us. Sorry I didn’t get here before now, but still blessed,all the same.
Love and prayers, always.

Craig January 19, 2014 at 3:32 pm

you! Just seen your name made me smile. Thank you Debbie. Thank you. God bless!