Love wonders why

by Craig on January 26, 2014

pride can turn helping into a badger cougar fight

source

I tried to help.
She fought it.
Not the first time.

She almost always comes around later as we agree and move forward. But at the start there is invariably the defensive position. In the wild, badgers have been known to fight off packs of dogs, wolves, and even bears.

She’s a badger…fearless. And sometimes badgers are a little porcupine-ish.

She trusts me as much as she trusts just about any man. She knows, as a team, we’ve been successful. But still, she resists, often unleashing claws and bearing teeth and hunching the back…

…like today.

And I wonder why?

I should wonder why. Love always looks beyond the surface and tries to understand the depths.

For a while now I’ve been more in a position of needing help than being able to help anyone. So please let me share what is, to many, a secret. There is something unexpected that often happens when someone requires help, and gets it.

Pride.

Pride can move us to make it difficult for help to be given.
Pride can provoke us to refuse help when it’s needed most.

Pride can prevent us from being grateful for the rescue rope thrown down the hole.

source

I know this pride…

…too well.

I’ve displayed this pride…

…too often.

Is pride the “why” behind the anger? And if it is, why is that?

I’m asking until I get my answer.

Some badgers are worth the wounds.

Gail January 27, 2014 at 1:33 am

I needed this. Thank you!!!

Craig January 28, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Gail, I’m not sure in what way you needed this. I’m not sure if you’re the badger or you’re the mountain lion. I know I needed this…and your comment. Thank you. God bless!

Martha Orlando January 27, 2014 at 7:06 am

Pride stands in the way of so many healing, enlightening, loving moments. Oh, Lord, make me a humble servant!
Blessings, Craig!

Craig January 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm

humility really is the key to practically everything. You know me. I think love is the key to everything – and humility is part of love. Right? The amazing thing, between you and me, is how someone who feels he has very little to be proud about, can have so much pride. One of life’s mysteries. Thank you Martha. Thank you for making me think. Thank you for reading. And as I stumble my way back into this I’ll be dropping by soon. God bless and keep.

Mizliz Liz January 27, 2014 at 6:52 pm

So thrilling to see a post. Hang tight. Believe. And…. friend, this old granny has enough pride for both of us, so let go of yours. :-)
You are so loved.

Craig January 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I think I’ll keep writing Liz. Not very much brings me joy (actually happiness) right now but digging into things of God – deeply – the kind of stuff I write on the other blog – thinking about and doing and writing about love (here) – that has always brought me joy – so my writing is a little selfish, and I’m thrilled that your reading. And by the way – I have plenty of pride – there’s no doubt about that – but in this particular story it is the badger who has the pride – I’m the mountain lion – I’m the hero of the story – it’s that darned proud badger – there’s more to the story – BUT I am the mountain lion!!!!!! :-) God bless and keep.

gail January 28, 2014 at 7:59 pm

He was. Now I am. Now we can move past it all I think.

Craig January 28, 2014 at 9:49 pm

THAT made me smile, thank you :)

A. January 29, 2014 at 6:27 am

Pride…such a mistaken self-defense maneuver!

Craig January 29, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Self defense? yeah. That’s what it is isn’t it? It wasn’t for Satan and that was probably his first sin and the root of all the others, because he was never under attack. He just wanted and he tried to take. He still wants and he tries to take. Pride, of all our weaknesses – maybe the worst. Thanks A. I remember the days when I would start a conversation about God, and you would finish it off. God Bless.

Craig January 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Katie January 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Pride…. oh it does make it hard to receive help. It is a hard roadblock to overcome and say I need your help or just say yes to help offered. “Is pride the “why” behind the anger? And if it is, why is that?” I think anger is a normal reaction to pain and suffering and is ok to ask questions that you may not have answers to or may not get answers to. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don’t. Why? Because our world is full of sin: sin done by ourselves, sin done to us by others. And sometimes it doesn’t have a thing to do with sin. Sometimes like Job, bad things just happen. Job and Psalms are what I have been stuck reading for the last year or so over and over again asking why?

Craig February 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm

so many roadblocks to love. We just don’t love the way we are designed. I don’t. Pride is a sin, sin is the reason for all of the brokenness of this planet, of this universe – everything is broken. That explains so much. And if what we believe is true there IS a war going on between good and evil, and evil will lose, but in the meantime we might lose some of the battles and some of us might be lost IN the battle. Job and the Psalms is an easy place to get stuck reading. I get it. Thank you Katie. Sorry for the late reply. Everything is hard to do right now, one step at a time, and . I bet that you need to go one step at a time as well. God bless.

Katie February 25, 2014 at 10:21 pm

No worries here… I am sporadic in writing on my blog for the past year also. I go in spurts.

Nacole February 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Craig?! You’re back!! How long? Super busy, all kinds of craziness going on in my life this past year. I noticed you weren’t answering comments for a while. I worried. I prayed. And…I guess months passed, and here you are! I. am. so happy, friend. God bless and keep you.

Craig February 25, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Mississippi girl, I’m not sure that I’d call me “back” – just moving. That’s good – I’m moving after not moving for a long time. I bet few people can understand as well as you, sometimes moving is hard, really really hard. Thank you for worrying for me, and praying, months have passed and here I am, at least parts of me. God bless and keep you Nacole.